Windows 10: Macrium Reflect...

Discus and support Macrium Reflect... in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; Hi all, Having just upgraded to the latest Window 10 CU I am now looking for so good back up software... For a number of years I have been... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by stuarttunstall, May 12, 2017.

1. Macrium Reflect...

Hi all,

Having just upgraded to the latest Window 10 CU I am now looking for so good back up software...

For a number of years I have been using Memeo instant back up, and the version I have now it old so an update is required even though it still does it's job.....

I have read on here that the Macrium Reflect software gets great reviews so I think that will b the way to go... but I have a question...

I know I can create a complete disc image and rescue disc which is a good thing and a thing I have never don BUT I really should... With Memeo it keeps a watch on any changed or new files/folders and backs them up everytime I connect my external drive, will Macrium Reflect do the same?

Stuart

:)

stuarttunstall, May 12, 2017
  2. SpiritX MS MVP, May 12, 2017
  3. garybear89, May 12, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

Macrium Reflect...

Hi, Windows File History certainly does this:
    File and Folder backups are not supported in the free version of MR.
    I don't believe MR provides that sort of support- but I've not used the commercial Home version.
    Backing up files and folders - KnowledgeBase - Macrium Reflect Knowledgebase

dalchina, May 12, 2017
  5. cereberus Win User
    If you keep OS and programs on C drive and data on D drive, you can use Macrium Reflect to back up OS and Windows File History Backup to back up files.

With Macrium Reflect Free. you can do differential backups which only backup the changes to a drive since the last full image. You can schedule these daily. It will not be automatic on plugging in usb drive though.

cereberus, May 12, 2017
  6. Thanks for the replies... I would go for the paid version if I did change, I paid for Memeo so that is not an issue...

So am I correct in saying that the "paid version" would allow me to keep a constant backup of any changed or added files/folders? I did email Macrium on Friday to ask them *Smile

stuarttunstall, May 13, 2017
  7. dalchina New Member
    No.. Macrium doesn't actively monitor changes. File History in Windows can do that.

dalchina, May 13, 2017
  8. cereberus Win User

Macrium Reflect...

But you can schedule automatic backups - say daily. For most people that is perfectly adequate/ Even FHB defaults to daily iirc. Do it more than that and you may experience some performance hit on older, slower device/drives.

cereberus, May 13, 2017
  9. Thank for all the replies.... I would need to manually do this, which I don't suppose is a major issue *Smile

stuarttunstall, May 13, 2017
  10. cereberus Win User
    Only manual to the extent you need to ensure your external drive is plugged in when Macrium Reflect does its scheduled backups.

cereberus, May 13, 2017
  11. dalchina New Member
    Now there's a market opportunity- a PC controlled robotic arm which can select a flash drive from a small rack.... ensuring your backup drive is offline except when needed... *chuckle

dalchina, May 13, 2017
  12. cereberus Win User
    That is called a wife.

Actually, some years ago when server storage was much lower than now, I worked for a company that use tape archiving, and they had a robot that did exactly what youvsuggested i.e. pulled in a tape on demand.

cereberus, May 13, 2017
  13. fdegrove Win User

Macrium Reflect...

Hi,

That was called a robotic library, right ?
    Used to have one of those HP scsi tape devices at home which could retrieve backups by date and so. I used Veritas backup for that which was excellent.
    The tapes weren't always reliable though.

MR is great, go for it.

Cheers, *Wink

fdegrove, May 13, 2017
  14. dalchina New Member
    W.I.F.E. - is that something like a Wirelessly Interfaced Flexible Extension?

dalchina, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Macrium Reflect...

1. Macrium Reflect... - Similar Threads - Macrium Reflect

2. Removing Macrium Reflect Recovery option at Start-up

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Removing Macrium Reflect Recovery option at Start-up: Hi thereAcquired a new PC some weeks ago and have just successfully reset my old Windows 10 PC for onward sale or donation at some point in the near future.During the reset operation I requested a hard disc clean and a fresh install of Windows 10.However when I start up the...
  3. Removing Macrium Reflect Recovery option at Start-up

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Removing Macrium Reflect Recovery option at Start-up: Hi thereAcquired a new PC some weeks ago and have just successfully reset my old Windows 10 PC for onward sale or donation at some point in the near future.During the reset operation I requested a hard disc clean and a fresh install of Windows 10.However when I start up the...
  4. Removing Macrium Reflect Recovery option at Start-up

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Games crashing after moving os with Macrium Reflect

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Games crashing after moving os with Macrium Reflect: I moved my Windows 11 from an 80 gb SSD over to a tb SSD and now games won't launch. They will crash and sometimes stay on a black screen or show an error of low video memory. They worked completely fine before. Any fix?...
  6. Games crashing after moving os with Macrium Reflect

Games crashing after moving os with Macrium Reflect: I moved my Windows 11 from an 80 gb SSD over to a tb SSD and now games won't launch. They will crash and sometimes stay on a black screen or show an error of low video memory. They worked completely fine before. Any fix?...
  7. MACRIUM REFLECT: Cannot create a system image onto an external USB hard drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    MACRIUM REFLECT: Cannot create a system image onto an external USB hard drive: I am trying to create a system image using the free addition of Macrium Reflect on a HP All-In-One desktop. The source drive C: appears, but the destination drive E: does not. The E drive is a "WD My Passport 259F USB external hard drive. For the Destination, it gives me the...
  8. MACRIUM REFLECT: Cannot create a system image onto an external USB hard drive

MACRIUM REFLECT: Cannot create a system image onto an external USB hard drive: I am trying to create a system image using the free addition of Macrium Reflect on a HP All-In-One desktop. The source drive C: appears, but the destination drive E: does not. The E drive is a "WD My Passport 259F USB external hard drive. For the Destination, it gives me the...
  9. Macrium Reflect Free Version Being Retired

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Macrium Reflect Free Version Being Retired: Folks here often recommend the free version of Macrium Reflect as an alternative to Windows' own backup options. Unfortunately, the free version is going away, and there will be no further feature updates. Security updates will continue until January 24, 2024, however. The...
  10. Macrium Reflect Free Version Being Retired

Macrium Reflect Free Version Being Retired: Folks here often recommend the free version of Macrium Reflect as an alternative to Windows' own backup options. Unfortunately, the free version is going away, and there will be no further feature updates. Security updates will continue until January 24, 2024, however. The...