Windows 10: Macrium restore within a VM in UEFI mode

Discus and support Macrium restore within a VM in UEFI mode in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; Hi folks I'm re-arranging a few VM's and re-assigning HDD space so I've got some Macrium images which I want to restore to new VHD's . However I can't... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by jimbo45, Mar 7, 2019.

1. jimbo45 Win User

Macrium restore within a VM in UEFI mode

Hi folks
    I'm re-arranging a few VM's and re-assigning HDD space so I've got some Macrium images which I want to restore to new VHD's .

However I can't seem to create an ISO that will boot in EFI mode (With Rufus it's fine but on a VM you need an ISO image as you can't boot from a physical USB device).

However the VM won't boot the iso image -- it's fine if I define the Virtual BIOS hardware as MBR boot but then my restores won't boot after rthe image is restored --- I might fiddle around with fix boot problems from within the stand alone macrium image --- not really sure if Macrium was intended for this type of work though -- VIBoot doesn't help in these instances.

Any ideas anyone. The best I can come up with is to define 2 VHD's -- restore to the second VHD (formatted as GPT) delete ist VHD - set VM to boot as UEFI and see what happens. Has anybody else played around with this type of stuff and Macrium -- note therese no defect in Macrium itself.

Another solution -- is it possible to create a bootable iso from the Rufus data !!

Cheers
    jimbo

:)

jimbo45, Mar 7, 2019
  2. topgundcp Win User

Restoring Windows 10 Image using Macrium Reflect

In addition to the above. Here's my suggestion in step by step.
    I assume you have Macrium Installed in your current HD and already made a backup copy.
    1. Connect your new HD via USB port and boot up.
    2. Run Macrium, click on Restore tab then select the Backup Image that you made to restore
    3. click on "select a different target disk" then select your new HD as destination

Macrium restore within a VM in UEFI mode [​IMG]
    4. Proceed to restore then Shutdown and disconnect the old HD and replace with the new HD
    5. Boot up with your new HD.

topgundcp, Mar 7, 2019
  3. Kari Win User
    UEFI VM in non UEFI machine - Yes its possible

In Hyper-V:

Step 1, select Generation 2 vm in new vm wizard:

Step 2, disable Secure Boot in vm settings:

That's it.

*Wink

Kari, Mar 7, 2019
  4. NavyLCDR Win User

Unsupported Disk Layout for UEFI firmware

The easiest way to get the disk set up properly is to make sure UEFI is set to boot in UEFI mode. Safe mode can be on or off, it doesn't matter. Boot the computer from a Windows 10 installation USB flash drive. Go through the steps for a custom install. When you get to the screen listing disks and partitions, delete all the partitions on the drive you want to install Windows to, it's probably going to be drive 0. Highlight the remaining unallocated space and click Next. Let Windows setup completely install Windows 10.

Once Windows 10 is installed and you can boot into it, then reboot the computer from the Macrium Reflect Rescue Drive. Restore ONLY the C: drive Windows partition from you image over the top of the Windows 10 partition that the new setup created. Run the Fix Windows boot problems utility in Macrium Reflect after you restore, and you should be good to go.

NavyLCDR, Mar 7, 2019
Thema:

1. Macrium restore within a VM in UEFI mode - Similar Threads - Macrium restore within

2. UEFI boot VM's on non UEFI systems

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    UEFI boot VM's on non UEFI systems: Hi folks if you want to test such things as UEFI boot or even Secure boot on a VM running on older hardware that doesn't have UEFI boot it's still easily possible. On for example Linux host running KVM/QEMU a Windows VM ( This also works on Windows hosts running VMWare for...
  3. Problems With Macrium Restore

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Problems With Macrium Restore: I have used Macrium for quite a while and been very pleased. However, lately I cannot run a restore successfully. I can backup my drive just fine. But when I try to run a restore, the error Oc000000F comes up instead. This is following the install of the latest Windows...
  4. Problems With Macrium Restore

in Windows 10 Support
    Problems With Macrium Restore: I have used Macrium for quite a while and been very pleased. However, lately I cannot run a restore successfully. I can backup my drive just fine. But when I try to run a restore, the error Oc000000F comes up instead. This is following the install of the latest Windows...
  5. Macrium restore of a QUEMU / KVM W10 VM

Macrium restore of a QUEMU / KVM W10 VM: Hi folks One of the great things with QEMU/KVM VM's is that you can boot from physical devices INSIDE THE VM (and not just ISO's)-- I needed to restore a W10 VM as I'd hosed it up with some silly networking parameter errors etc. With the latest kernels you can Hot plug USB...
  6. Macrium: trial restore?

Macrium: trial restore?: So far I've never had to restore an image and I'm not brave enough to wipe my OS as an experiment. But I have plenty of disk capacity, either on my internal 4 TB D or one of my external USB drives. So as a second-best is it possible to restore my OS disk C image (135 GB) to...
  7. Macrium Restore Image

Macrium Restore Image: I just performed a clean install from 1809 ISO saved the MR image of the clean install to my ext. USB HD and 64GB 3.0 flash drive. This morning I tested the clean install from the flash drive, MR went through all the image restore set up then I received an error message...
  8. Running VM's Within Windows 10

Running VM's Within Windows 10: Hello, my first post here, hope it's in the right place. I've been running Windows 10 since the day after the preview was released. However I took a different route than most when evaluating the OS, I installed it on my school laptop. Now it's not the best, only 1.4Ghz Intel...
  9. Backup & Restore with Macrium

Backup & Restore with Macrium: Hello, Thanks for the answers. Searching I found this long explanation which made me more confused http://www.everydaylinuxuser.com/201...-way-with.html and I have lot of questions since, 1. Have one full instl. file "reflect_setup_free_x86(6.1.1081).exe size 39.502...
  10. Restore image from within Windows with Macrium V6

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Restore image from within Windows with Macrium V6: This may seem a ridiculous question to ask but I am a newbieat using Macrium Reflect Free V6.1 Build 871 on a machine running Windows 10 Home64bit so apologise. I have created a USB and DVD Rescue Media but would like to know when should I Add Recovery Boot Menu Option before...