Windows 10: Macrium scheduling options

Discus and support Macrium scheduling options in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; Some background before I get to my specific question. I setup Macrium Reflect (Free) over three years ago. After a few months of occasional checks I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by Terrypin, Nov 19, 2019.

1. Terrypin Win User

Macrium scheduling options

Some background before I get to my specific question.

I setup Macrium Reflect (Free) over three years ago. After a few months of occasional checks I left it to do its stuff and essentially forgot about it. It was scheduled very early every Saturday morning so I didn't often get to see it start anyway. But yesterday I discovered that every weekly run since May had been unsuccessful ;-(

The reason turned out to be that somehow the drive letter of my destination external USB drive letters had been altered.

--------------------

I'm now reconfiguring and pondering the choice of various scheduling templates, so would appreciate others' opinions or experience please. I think my previous was 'Incremental Backup Set', and that now seems perhaps a bit over complicated for a solo end user with no network stuff?

METHODS
    #1 Grandfather, Father, Son:
    Daily Incremental ("Son"), weekly Differential ("Father"), and monthly Full ("Grandfather") backups.

#2 Differential Backup Set:
    A Full backup is created periodically followed by daily Differential backups.

#3 Incremental Backup Set:
    A Full backup is created periodically followed by daily Incremental backups.

#4 Incrementals Forever:
    Incrementals forever optimizes backup space and time by only ever creating a single Full backup.

After this Incremental backups are created ad infinitum. The Full backup is consolidated with subsequent Incremental backups once the specified number of Incremental backups is reached.

This is also known as a Synthetic Full backup.

--------------------

As well as the 'method', any tips on the sequence of the full and incremental runs?

Finally, how often do others make a new recovery USB?

Terry, East Grinstead, UK
    Win 10 Pro, version 1903 build 18362.476

:)

Terrypin, Nov 19, 2019

2. Disk optimization scheduling in Windows 10

Hi,

Welcome to Microsoft Community.

I suggest you to follow the below steps and check if it helps.

• In search select Defragment and optimize drives

• Click on change settings

• In optimization schedule

• In frequency select the options accordingly.
    Please let us know if you need further assistance.

Thank you.

`

Divya Murugan, Nov 19, 2019
  3. ssbtech Win User
    Macrium Scheduled Backups Broken with Anniversary Update

I use Macrium Reflect V5 to automate my backups. Thank god I had done a manual backup before Creators update because CU bricked my PC and I had to restore from the image.

Anyway, I say manual backup because on March 10, Microsoft forced upon me the Anniversary Update which resulted in the scheduled tasks in Macrium Reflect being broken.

1) Why is Microsoft forcing these damaging updates on us?

2) How can I get my Macrium scheduled backups to run properly? I've uninstalled, reinstalled, recreated all my backup schedules and nothing works.

This is ridiculous. I'm half tempted to go find myself a copy of Enterprise LTSB. I won't make use of the bloatware MS sticks in new builds, so there's no sense in having them forced on me. STOP IT!

ssbtech, Nov 19, 2019
  4. Arun B J Win User

Question About Scheduled Optimisation

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I understand your concern and will assist you to resolve this issue.

I suggest you to follow the Methods below and check if it helps.

Method 1: Windows has a built-in troubleshooter to check and fix issues with system. I would suggest you to run this troubleshooter to check if the issue is with your System
    Maintenance.

Refer these steps:

• Press Windows key +X, select Control panel.
    • Change the view by option on the top right to Large icons.
    • Click on troubleshooting and click on the view all option on the left panel.
    • Run the System Maintenance troubleshooter.

And also ensure that the Task Scheduler service is running.

• Follow the steps to check the service.

• Press Windows + R, type Services.msc

• Select the Task scheduler service and restart the service and check if it helps.

Hope this information was helpful and do let us know if you need further assistance. We will be glad to assist.

Arun B J, Nov 19, 2019
Thema:

1. Macrium scheduling options - Similar Threads - Macrium scheduling options

2. Remove Macrium from boot options ??

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Remove Macrium from boot options ??: When i switch on my PC i get two options windows 10 of Macrium reflect Is there a way to stop the Macrium Reflect option from loading or is this not advisable? 183528
  3. Can Macrium Reflect "miss" a scheduled backup?

Can Macrium Reflect "miss" a scheduled backup?: I am using one of the "canned" backup definitions: Full backup at 9 AM on the first Monday of every month Differential backup at 9 AM every Monday of every week Incremental backup at 9 AM every Monday...Sunday The last full backup should have been done on Monday April 4, but...
  4. Macrium combined Full and Diff schedule

Macrium combined Full and Diff schedule: I am only just getting to grips with Macrium Reflect. I don't particularly like the backup notation with numbers, why can't they say 'Full', 'Diff' or 'Inc' instead of numbers. I have read the very good tutorial about backups but it only seems to be able to do one of the...
  5. Macrium combined Full and Diff schedule

in Windows 10 Support
    Macrium combined Full and Diff schedule: I am only just getting to grips with Macrium Reflect. I don't particularly like the backup notation with numbers, why can't they say 'Full', 'Diff' or 'Inc' instead of numbers. I have read the very good tutorial about backups but it only seems to be able to do one of the...
  6. Macrium Reflect Free v7.2.453 Scheduling glitch?

Macrium Reflect Free v7.2.453 Scheduling glitch?: I have MR scheduled to do a full backup on the 1st monthly at 08:00 hours and today it created the backup successfully. The log shows it timed at 08:00:04 but 1 hour later it created a 2nd successful full backup timed at 09:00:02. This second backup is not in the schedule so...
  7. Macrium Reflect boot menu option

Macrium Reflect boot menu option: Hi, recently started using Reflect, moving away from TrueImage. I'm pretty happy with it so far, except for the outlandish price (yea, I know, free version fine for most but I like to password protect my images). I notice there's an option to put the recovery on the boot...
  8. How Reliable is Macrium Reflect Backup Scheduling?

How Reliable is Macrium Reflect Backup Scheduling?: I've configured Reflect to automatically run full and differential backups to two drives as shown in the enclosed Reflect status report. [img] The report says the last " full system backup to usb hdd" was run on 14/11/16 and was successful. However when I look at the file...
  9. Update Macrium Reflect Boot Menu Option?

Update Macrium Reflect Boot Menu Option?: About a year ago, I added a Macrium Reflect boot menu option but have never needed to use it. There have been several Reflect updates since then. Do I need to do anything to update this boot menu option? Also, how do you remove the boot menu option? 64087
  10. Windows 10 Anniversary Update and Macrium Reflect Scheduler Problem

Windows 10 Anniversary Update and Macrium Reflect Scheduler Problem: Has anyone else had a problem with Macrium Reflect Scheduler not working after installing Windows 10 Anniversary Update? Any Insiders that determined there was such a problem before the Anniversary Update was released? It seems MR uses the Task Scheduler for automatic...