Windows 10: Macrium Service prevents OneDrive.exe client from updating itself

Discus and support Macrium Service prevents OneDrive.exe client from updating itself in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; I noticed right after the 1809 17763.134 update, and when starting OneDrive the first time, it attempted to update it's client to the latest version -... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by Farvatten, Nov 16, 2018.

1. Farvatten Win User

Macrium Service prevents OneDrive.exe client from updating itself

I noticed right after the 1809 17763.134 update, and when starting OneDrive the first time, it attempted to update it's client to the latest version - 18.192.0920.0015. Afterwards when checking the version I noticed it hadn't been updated. It's failed each time because apparently the Macrium Service has a file lock on the OneDrive.exe.

I found this out when I stopped OneDrive and attempted to move the new file myself:

Macrium Service prevents OneDrive.exe client from updating itself [​IMG]

So each time OneDrive is started up, it again tries to update itself by creating yet another platform directory for that version but with an appended '_N'.

Macrium Service prevents OneDrive.exe client from updating itself [​IMG]

Culling this log:

Install-PerUser_2018-11-16_001247_229c-a18.log found in:

C:\Users\<Usernamer>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\OneDrive\Setup\logs

I noticed it fails to copy this newest version of OneDrive.exe to the root folder:
    C:\Users\<Usernamer>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\OneDrive

Ending with this error:
    !ERROR! (0x80070020) MoveClientExecutablesToInstallRoot() - OneDrive.exe failed!

My temporary solution was to stop both OneDrive and the 'Macrium Service', then copy the ...\OneDrive\18.192.0920.0015\OneDrive.exe manually to the root folder, then change all the appropriate Registry values found under:

Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\OneDrive

I suspect if I stop the Macrium Service before hand, the normal update process will succeed, something I plan to test on another machine that hasn't yet attempted the update.

I'd be curious to hear if anyone else has seen this latest OneDrive.exe update, 18.192.0920.0015, not take.

:)

Farvatten, Nov 16, 2018
  2. Brink Win User

OneDrive Message Center Updates July 1st-15th

Source: OneDrive Message Center Updates July 1st-15th - Microsoft Tech Community - 216776

Manual Download: New OneDrive sync client release notes - Office Support

Brink, Nov 16, 2018
  3. Windows 10 - OneDrive

Right click on the app and one of the properties has an option to not automatically start it. Uncheck, restart the computer, and it should stop. If you want to go another step further, find the OneDrive app in the start menu, right click on it and uninstall.

If that is still insufficient, there is a batch uninstaller for OneDrive available online. I can copy the code here if you need it.

FordGT90Concept, Nov 16, 2018
  4. Macrium Service prevents OneDrive.exe client from updating itself

Windows 10 error: "Windows couldn't connect to the Group Policy Client service. Please consult your system administrator"

Hi Rico,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community, we appreciate your interest in Windows 10.

I understand the inconvenience you are facing with accessing the operating system.

Do let us know the following to assist you better:

• Which edition of Windows Operating System are you using?
    • What all the troubleshooting steps have you performed?
    • Have you installed all the pending updates on your Operating System?
    • Have you installed any third-party anti-virus software on your system?

I suggest you to try few of the below troubleshooting steps and check if it helps.

I suggest you to Stop the Group Policy service, restart and set it to Automatic.

Group Policy Client service, this service is responsible for applying settings configured by administrators for the computers and users through the Group Policy component. If the service
    is disabled the settings will be applied and applications and components will not be manageable through Group Policy.

Step 1: Stop the Group Policy Client service.

• Press Windows Key + R on the keyboard and type
      services.msc
      , Services window gets opened.
    • Search for Group Policy Client service, right click on it and click on
      Stop.
    • Restart the computer.

Step 2: Start the service and set it to automatic:

• Press Windows Key + R on the keyboard and type
      services.msc
      , Services window gets opened.
    • Search for Group Policy Client service, right click on it and click on
      Properties.
    • Start the service, set
      Startup type to Automatic.

Hope it helps. Reply to the post with an updated status of this issue for further assistance.

Deepika Gowda, Nov 16, 2018
Thema:

Macrium Service prevents OneDrive.exe client from updating itself

1. Macrium Service prevents OneDrive.exe client from updating itself - Similar Threads - Macrium Service prevents

2. Prevent Windows 10 From Automatically Rebooting itself during Updates

in Windows 10 Customization
    Prevent Windows 10 From Automatically Rebooting itself during Updates: I'd like to know if there is any way an extremely easy way to prevent Windows from automatically rebooting itself during updates. Last night my machine rebooted itself causing a lot of work to be lost....
  3. Prevented from updating

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Prevented from updating: I tried to update a x64WinProV1803 laptop from a USB stick that I have twice used to update other systems to v20H2. I was told I could not, so I copied the install files to C:\ and tried again. Was first told I could not install W10 on a USB that is NOT what I was aiming for,...
  4. Update Orchestrator Service prevent idling PC from sleeping

Update Orchestrator Service prevent idling PC from sleeping: Windows 10 Pro, 2004 It won't go into sleeping mode after idling time set in the power plan. I have been trying to find out what happens. One time I notice this service I think it showed up in powercfg /lastwake. I run Update and made all is up to date. Then let the PC...
  5. Windows Update Service disables itself

Windows Update Service disables itself: Hello. I just bought my HP laptop about a week ago. I wanted to use the ms store but it keeps getting an error. I was directed to my windows update settings and there it says "There were some problems installing updates, but we'll try again later. If you keep seeing this and...
  6. Update Orchestrator Service is preventing my PC from sleeping

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Update Orchestrator Service is preventing my PC from sleeping: Disabling and stopping this service allows the PC to sleep. Is this a known issue? any fix other than disabling it? This happened after upgrading to 1903. Should've stayed at 1809. submitted by /u/potatodos [link] [comments]...
  7. Onedrive missing from taskbar/ onedrive uninstalling itself

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Onedrive missing from taskbar/ onedrive uninstalling itself: Hi, I recently had some problems with my onedrive for business not syncing properly, i fixed it by reinstaling office. And then downloading onedrive from the onedrive website. However now whenever i turn on my computer onedrive has disappeared from the task bar, and none of...
  8. OneDrive removes itself from Taskbar

OneDrive removes itself from Taskbar: Split from this thread. While method 3 worked for me, I need to run these steps everytime I startup my laptop. Any tips on how do I avoid that. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/onedrive-removes-itself-from-taskbar/8945b5e1-801b-4381-a91b-42cc00c0e56a
  9. Prevent OneDrive From Trying To Connect

Prevent OneDrive From Trying To Connect: *Note OneDrive forum was locked so I posted here. OneDrive always tries to connect when I login on to my Windows 10 system. I frequently don't have a internet connection in the summer months and OneDrive always displays a error message saying it can't connect. How can...
  10. Prevent Onedrive from Syncing at Startup

Prevent Onedrive from Syncing at Startup: Is there a way to prevent Onedrive from syncing at startup or perhaps completely disable it altogether? My reason for doing it is quite obscure and I not sure I can explain. Thank you. 4197

Users found this page by searching for:

1. macrium opens onedrive.exe