Windows 10: Macrium USB

Discus and support Macrium USB in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; Hello everyone, I created a Macrium USB. See screenshot. Is this the right thing? What do I do with it? My goal is to create a backup. So... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by doncole, Mar 28, 2018.

1. doncole Win User

Macrium USB

Hello everyone,

I created a Macrium USB. See screenshot.

Is this the right thing?

What do I do with it?

My goal is to create a backup. So if upgrade Windows 10, and don't like it, I can put it back the way it was.

Don Cole

Macrium USB [​IMG]

:)

doncole, Mar 28, 2018
  2. BruceTR Win User

Correct Format for USB Stick | FAT32? | NTFS? | Some Other Format?

Windows 10 on PC.

I plan to use Macrium Reflect Free to create a System Image on a USB stick (not a removable USB drive). Macrium will create the Image as a .mcimg file. The file will be approximately 74 GB. In the future, when
    I want to restore to the System Image, I plan to use Macrium to perform the restore. Because Macrium will be used for the restore, the USB stick does not have to be bootable.

Given this scenario, what format should be used for the USB stick? FAT32, or NTFS, or some other format?

Thanks

BruceTR, Mar 28, 2018
  3. BruceTR Win User
    Correct Format for USB Stick | FAT32? | NTFS? | Some Other Format?

Yes, I know that newly purchased USB sticks are FAT32. However, that's not what I asked.

I asked about a 74 GB System Image (not Recovery Media) created on a non-bootable USB stick (not a removable USB drive) as a .MRIMG file.

If the System Image is created by Macrium, and Macrium will be used to perform the restore (not a Recovery), what format does the USB stick need to be in... FAT32 or NTFS?

Assume Macrium DOES NOT format the USB stick. Given this, what format does the USB stick need to be in... FAT32 or NTFS?

Thanks

BruceTR, Mar 28, 2018
  4. simrick Win User

Macrium USB

Hi Don.
    You need 2 things: 1. the Macrium boot flash drive and 2. the backup itself.
    If you ever need to restore a backup, you boot the system to the flash drive, and that's how you access the backup program for a restore.
    Have a read of this tut:
    Backup and Restore with Macrium Reflect Windows 10 Tutorials

simrick, Mar 28, 2018
  5. RolandJS Win User
    "...2. the backup itself..." simrick obviously means putting those backups on external media, for example, I use usb external platter-driven hard-drives.

RolandJS, Mar 28, 2018
  6. doncole Win User
    Macrium USB [​IMG]
    Thank you Everybody for your help on this project,*Smile*Smile*Smile

I created a Macrium USB. See screenshot.

Is this the right thing???

What do I do with it?

I know just restart the computer. But shouldn't I change the boot order in the bios.

How do this? I have a Dell laptop.

Don Cole

doncole, Mar 30, 2018
  7. When you reboot, as you see the screen come on, start pressing F8 a few times before Windows starts to load. This will bring up the boot device menu. You will see the USB drive in the list. Select it and press enter.

Access Denied, Mar 30, 2018
  8. simrick Win User

Macrium USB

Great!
    Now, have you read the tutorial?

You'll need to lookup how to get the "one-time boot menu" in the Dell you have. I can't look it up, as your system specs say Toshiba. It could be F2, F12, Del, Esc - any number of keys at boot can do it, depending on the system.

simrick, Mar 31, 2018
  9. doncole Win User
    Thank you access denied and thinrick for your replies *Smile*sarc*Rolleyes

Thinrick or anyone,

When thinrick says, "Great!" does he/you mean the Macreum USB screenshot looks correct?

The reason I'm taking so long is because I'm afraid it won't reboot after I finish.
    I ran System Restore (Without making any changes to the system).

I went through all motions and the end booted ok.

So I should try it.

If the computer doesn't boot after running though the Macreum USB boot.

I could always set the boot order (in the BIOS) back to drive C: and remove the Macreum USB.

It should be ok.

won't it?

Don Cole

doncole, Apr 3, 2018
  10. Yes, he means it looks correct. I was worried too the first time I did a restore of a working system to test it. Everything went smooth. If the backup is good and the USB boots fine, the Macrium program also works fine from there..... once you finish whatever you are restoring, just click the red power button to reboot. You will be fine.

Access Denied, Apr 3, 2018
  11. Kyhi Win User
    Also with macrium you have the option to add macrium to boot menu
    Setting is in same menu as you selected to create media..
    But always keep a bootable copy of macrium on USB, just in case your PC will not boot

12. Use the 64bit if that is what your PC is. The other thing he is talking about is the Boot Menu that Macrium can install for you. It will show up when you boot the computer. I have mine set to 5 seconds. I boot my pc and it comes to a screen that shows Windows 10 highlighted and Macrium Recovery under it. It shows for 5 seconds then will load Windows 10 if I do not touch it. It is great to have if Windows boot gets messed up somehow.

You can do this by opening Macrium. On the "Other Tasks" menu at the top. Click there, then click on Add Recovery Boot Menu Option. Then click OK on the message that pops up.

Scroll to PART TWO, step #7. It has pictures to show you.

Access Denied, Apr 5, 2018
  13. doncole Win User

Macrium USB

Thank you Kyhi,
    For your response, *chuckle*Smile*chuckle

I thought that was what I'm making here with the Macreum USB.

I now see Win14393PE_x86 ISO v170116,
    Win14393PE_x64 ISO v170116,

Are you saying I should create one of these USBs and test it before messing with the Macreum USB?

I read somewhere that the 32bit will work just as well on a 64bit computer.

I have a 64bit computer.

Which one should I use?

Don Cole

doncole, Apr 11, 2018
Thema:

Macrium USB

1. Macrium USB - Similar Threads - Macrium USB

2. MACRIUM REFLECT: Cannot create a system image onto an external USB hard drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    MACRIUM REFLECT: Cannot create a system image onto an external USB hard drive: I am trying to create a system image using the free addition of Macrium Reflect on a HP All-In-One desktop. The source drive C: appears, but the destination drive E: does not. The E drive is a "WD My Passport 259F USB external hard drive. For the Destination, it gives me the...
  3. MACRIUM REFLECT: Cannot create a system image onto an external USB hard drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    MACRIUM REFLECT: Cannot create a system image onto an external USB hard drive: I am trying to create a system image using the free addition of Macrium Reflect on a HP All-In-One desktop. The source drive C: appears, but the destination drive E: does not. The E drive is a "WD My Passport 259F USB external hard drive. For the Destination, it gives me the...
  4. macrium rescue failed to see a USB-SSD

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    macrium rescue failed to see a USB-SSD: i just restored a macrium image of the whole C:-drive. i had bought an SSD to make it run fast(er), but rescue-media was unable to see the SSD, so i ended up using the copy on a NAS. some 20 hours later the system is back up, but i'm wondering what went wrong. attached a...
  5. Issue with USB and Macrium reflect rescue media

Issue with USB and Macrium reflect rescue media: I am trying to use some old USB drives for rescue media, but whether it is because they are usb 2.0 or some other reason, two of them so far do not work. When I try to boot to the media, it says "No OS found" or "operating system missing" (I can't remember the exact wording...
  6. Macrium Reflect Free 7.3 imaged to USB flash drive produced six files

Macrium Reflect Free 7.3 imaged to USB flash drive produced six files: I've just built a dual-boot machine with Windows 10 (20H2) and Linux (Elementary OS 5.0), and it occurred to me that Reflect (7.3 Free) could probably image that drive including the ext4 partition containing Elementary OS and (I hope) the GRUB bootloader (wherever it...
  7. How reliable is the Macrium recovery console booted off a USB stick?

How reliable is the Macrium recovery console booted off a USB stick?: Will it either work or not work? Could you potentially get a corrupt recovery console file? I mean flash drives are notorious for failing. Or is the integrity of of the image being restored more important? 172266
  8. Macrium Free - Will one usb rescue media work with 2 computers?

Macrium Free - Will one usb rescue media work with 2 computers?: Hello I have 2 win 10 computers. One with a cd/dvd burner and one without. If I download Macrium Free to both - do I have to create rescue media for both - or can I create to usb only and use that for both if necessary? I recognize that both need to be able to boot from usb....
  9. Boot Loop results after attempt to boot Macrium on USB thumb drive

in Windows 10 Support
    Boot Loop results after attempt to boot Macrium on USB thumb drive: I downloaded the free Macrium Reflect and with it, on my Win 7 created a USB UEFI bootable media for Windows 10 using the WinPE v10 environment downloaded from MSoft. I started with this in order to support my wife's new Dell Inspiron Win 10 computer. I was set to create my...
  10. Macrium Rescue USB Won't Boot

Macrium Rescue USB Won't Boot: Today I received a new Alienware r11 PC, UEFI Firmware. I created a Macrium Rescue USB but when I tried to boot from it the option wasn't available. I've disable Secure Boot but other then that I've done nothing to the firmware since this is my first UEFI PC. These are the...