Windows 10: Macrium V7 unable to clone / image Disk with xfs (Linux) partitions

Discus and support Macrium V7 unable to clone / image Disk with xfs (Linux) partitions in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; Hi folks seems latest version of Macrium free V7 won't clone or image physical (i.e not VM) Linux disks / partitions containing xfs formatted... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by jimbo45, Jan 11, 2021.

1. jimbo45 Win User

Macrium V7 unable to clone / image Disk with xfs (Linux) partitions

Hi folks
    seems latest version of Macrium free V7 won't clone or image physical (i.e not VM) Linux disks / partitions containing xfs formatted partitions. No probs with ext2/3/4 though.

Not sure if this has always been the case because I used to use ext4 file systems on Linux NAS so I can't say if this has always been a restriction.

I switched to xfs because its infinitely more efficient than ext4 and a load more resilient.

You can of course duplicate via dd but surely "cloning a disk" should give the choice of "standard clone" which just physically dumps data sector by sector - including empty ones to the target device so should be independent of the source disk geometry and file format even if it takes a lot longer or a faster "smart copy" .

Maybe in MF there is an option --I haven't been able to do it yet.

BTW no problem if your Linux system is a VM on a Windows Host even if the "internal VM" has xfs formatted disk(s) as the HOST OS will be using its own file system for accessing the "virtual disks"

Cheers
    jimbo

:)

jimbo45, Jan 11, 2021
  2. R9
    r9 Win User

Disk/Partition Cloning Questions ?

Till now I was using Acronis True Image 8 that comes with Hirens boot disk. I was cloning installations from USB HDD. Now I want to clone image file that is on network computer. Above mentioned Acronis software can restore only local images not network ones. The machine that is holding img files is Ubuntu Linux and files are shared both on FTP and SAMBA. I tried Linux Ghost software that has option for both NTFS and RAW method of cloning and can store and pull img files from FTP server. The thing is that after cloning even though the first partition is Active/Primary the PC wont boot from it.
    So the long awaited question is *Big Grin Macrium V7 unable to clone / image Disk with xfs (Linux) partitions :D. Please recommend me software that can be booted from CD/DVD and can restore partition images from network location. -This is not even a qustion *Big Grin Macrium V7 unable to clone / image Disk with xfs (Linux) partitions :D.

3. fireberd Win User
    macrium....unable to drag drop partitions to target drive

I recently used Macrium Reflect V7 free to clone an SSD to another SSD. I didn't have to drag and drop anything.
    Just click on "Clone this disk" and then in the next step select the drive you want for the destination clone.

Macrium V7 unable to clone / image Disk with xfs (Linux) partitions [​IMG]

fireberd, Jan 11, 2021
  4. jimbo45 Win User

Macrium and Linux Disks cloning

Hi folks
    just in case some people don't realize it but it's 100% possible to clone Linux formatted HDD's / SSD's with Macrium (from within Windows too --you don't need to use the stand alone program).

Ensure though when you attach the Linux drives / SSD's you ignore Windows request to format them or any messages about "incompatible file systems"

Simply select clone disks and carry on. The target SSD / HDD can be smaller than the source provided that the /home and / partitions (on Linux) are large enough on the destination drive.

If you know this already - then OK but I know some people on these Forums use Linux for playing with etc and might not know about easy ways of backing up Linux systems (VM's are easy - this is for physical HDD's/ SSD's)

Macrium V7 unable to clone / image Disk with xfs (Linux) partitions [​IMG]

The target disk should be bootable in nearly every case -- it'a always worked for me --just remember NOT to format the disks at windows prompt and ignore incompatible file system messages from Windows.

cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Jan 11, 2021
Thema:

1. Macrium V7 unable to clone / image Disk with xfs (Linux) partitions - Similar Threads - Macrium unable clone

2. Imaging a Linux (or Windows) Disk without Macrium -- Not cloning

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Imaging a Linux (or Windows) Disk without Macrium -- Not cloning: Hi folks Again the wonders of DD -- if you need to image (not clone as that's simple enough) a disk for use as a backup and you don't have an available copy of Macrium to hand it's very easy to use DD to image a disk to a file and restore it. Works on any type of disk....
  3. Macrium Reflect: How to clone just a partition

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Macrium Reflect: How to clone just a partition: I have a 2TB disk with a 100GB partition which I want to clone to a 1TB disk with a 100TB partition (and the rest unallocated) I get a message about insufficient space. I did check of all the other partitions, leaving just the 100GB on the source. - - - Updated - - -...
  4. Cloning with MACRIUM -- Partition Alignment

Cloning with MACRIUM -- Partition Alignment: Getting ready to Clone for the first time using Macrium Free. Going from a bootable UEFI HDD to a SSD. I read comments that Partition Alignment is important on SSD's, specifically the "alignment to 4KB boundaries for optimum performance and life." What I can't seem to find...
  5. Disk Image/Clone

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Disk Image/Clone: Hello, I am looking for an easy to use disk image / Clone software. I deploy about 2-3 systems per week, all which have the same configuration. FileMaker, HyperTerminal, MS Office, printer drivers and a few other apps. Does anyone have any recommendations for a software...
  6. Free Macrium for Linux Imaging and restoring (Not cloning but imaging)

Free Macrium for Linux Imaging and restoring (Not cloning but imaging): Hi folks The standalone version of Free Macrium will backup and restore Linux systems -- but with a slight proviso you will probably have to re-generate the bootloader / grub on the first boot of the restored system. I'm specifying IMAGING the systems and not cloning them as...
  7. Macrium Free disk imaging

Macrium Free disk imaging: Ok, using a Macrium made boot USB I can create an image of my boot SSD (all partitions needed to boot Windows), to any other attached disk, this works perfectly. My question is about using Macrium while in Windows, is the disk image made this way identical to the image made...
  8. Macrium and Linux Disks cloning

Macrium and Linux Disks cloning: Hi folks just in case some people don't realize it but it's 100% possible to clone Linux formatted HDD's / SSD'swith Macrium (from within Windows too --you don't need o use rthe stand alone program). Ensure though when you attach the Linux drives / SSD's you ignore Windows...
  9. partitions in Macrium & Disk Management

partitions in Macrium & Disk Management: I've attached a photo showing my hard drive partitions from Macrium (after selecting "Create an image of the partitions required to backup and restore Windows") and also from Disk Management in Windows 10. 1) What is the 16MB Unformatted Primary partition in Macrium...
  10. Imaging a disk with macrium

Imaging a disk with macrium: I have tried several times to make an image of a windows 7 disk.. Using macrium reflect and it just won't do it. It says can't make an image of this disk.. no reason given. On the same computer with another disk that has windows 10, it works just fine, i can image it ok....