Windows 10: Macrium viBoot - Create Virtual Machine using Macrium Image

Discus and support Macrium viBoot - Create Virtual Machine using Macrium Image in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; I am not sure if this is true for windows 7. I have two macrium images. Win 7 ultimate and win 10 professional. Host comp is win 10 prof.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Cliff S, Jun 7, 2016.

1. Macrium viBoot - Create Virtual Machine using Macrium Image

I am not sure if this is true for windows 7.
    I have two macrium images. Win 7 ultimate and win 10 professional.
    Host comp is win 10 prof.
    Successfully created and booted into VM using new tool for windows 10 image
    BUT did not work for win 7 image.
    the log says
    Logging initialized for viBoot
    Date Time Level TID File Line Function Description
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    28/07/2016 22:28:15.0284 3108 Logging started
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Logging terminated.

Macrium viBoot - Create Virtual Machine using Macrium Image [​IMG]

sunandoghosh, Jul 28, 2016
  2. Kari Win User

The part of log visible in your screenshot shows that the vm is running?

3. Yes but inside the screen no windows booting or action is happening even waiting for 30 minutes. Whereas for Windows 10 it was pretty fast.

sunandoghosh, Jul 28, 2016
  4. Macrium viBoot - Create Virtual Machine using Macrium Image

Any comments / suggestions?

sunandoghosh, Jul 29, 2016
  5. Kari Win User
    I am sorry, I have somehow missed your last posts.

I can only say that after running some tests I am unable to reproduce your issue: Windows 7 images I have tested mount without issues as Hyper-V virtual machines.

What about disk space? If your Windows 7 image is from a 512 GB HDD, it needs 512 GB free space on disk where the image is stored. You cannot mount an image as vm if the disk where image is stored has less space than what the image requires.

6. Kari Win User
    Geeks check this out (quote from Tell your backup software, win Macrium Reflect Home license! - Windows 10 Forums):

Another quote that might interest you (from post #2 in TenForums Saturday Live Chat 03-SEP-2016 - Windows 10 Forums):

7. cereberus Win User
    I know from the excellent tutorials, you can sysprep (and generalise) windows 10 in a vm and save generalised image using Macrium Reflect - indeed I have done this myself.

Easy enough to do installing vm, and adding win32 apps as required.

What I really wanted to do is clone my existing physical install, restore image in hyper-v, generalise and create new image but I ran into issues with disk sizes as the macrium restore step needs the same amount of disk space as the original physical disk even if the c drive is small.

I was wondering if there was a simpler way using viboot e.g.

Open macrium image using viboot which does work

Enable hidden admin account

Sysprep and generalise

Save macrium image from viboot.

Any ideas if this would work, and would I need to do anything special?

cereberus, Oct 30, 2016
  8. Kari Win User

Macrium viBoot - Create Virtual Machine using Macrium Image

Yes, I've done that, been there, it was so plain and simple I didn't even get the T-shirt *Smile

This is how I do it:

• Create a system image of on a physical machine running system
    • Mount the image in viBoot
    • Boot the viBoot vm
    • When on desktop, press Win + R to open Run dialog, type
      %windir%\system32\sysprep\syspre.exe /audit /reboot and hit Enter
    • Windows reboots to Audit Mode with built-in admin account which does not need to be activated
    • Customise, personalise, change what you want to, add / remove users and software
    • Run Sysprep
    • Save changes by creating a new image in viBoot

9. cereberus Win User
    Thanks - it is even simpler than I thought!

Will try it tonight.

Combination of MR and Viboot to me makes all otjer image tools second class citizens!

I reckon this is worth a tutorial in its own!

cereberus, Oct 30, 2016
  10. cereberus Win User
    Well I got there in the end - I ran to a few problems as it would not generalise during the sysprep phase as it came up with an error that one of the uwp apps was installed for a user but not provisioned (whatever that means?) but I could sysprep without generalising, and then go back to the original user admin account and delete the package (had to learn the powershell commands).

Had to do this three times switching between original and adminstrator account but got there in the end!

I now have a generalised Macrium image with all my win32 apps etc installed (would take a couple of days to reinstall).

cereberus, Oct 31, 2016
  11. Kari Win User
    Generalizing is only important if the image will be deployed (restored) to different hardware, and to make personalising and customisation settings (desktop, theme etc.) to be copied to default user profile.

If image is only ever intended to use on the original hardware and no desktop customisations are required, you don't have to use /generalize switch.

More: Windows 10 Image - Customize in Audit Mode with Sysprep - Windows 10 Forums

12. cereberus Win User
    Yes - sure but I actually do want to be able to install on another pc.

I thought it was worth mentioning the issues re. uwp apps as it took a bit of digging to work out solution.

I

cereberus, Oct 31, 2016
  13. Kari Win User

Yes, of course.

I generalize all my deployment images just because of that: As long as a PC has disk(s) big enough to allow restoring my image, I don't have to think its hardware. A generalized image can be used on any machine capable of running Windows.

14. cereberus Win User
    When I load a macrium image of a physical pc in a hyper-v vm using viboot, the network access is shown as disabled. I tried to change network settings in Windows and hyper-v but cannot get it working. I am sure I am missing something simple?

cereberus, Oct 31, 2016
  15. Kari Win User
    You need of course set a viBoot vm to use an existing virtual switch when setting it up. Extract from Ten Forums Macrium viBoot tutorial, see #4 in step 2.6 and in screenshot:

By default no switch is selected, hence no network connection.

Thema:

1. Macrium viBoot - Create Virtual Machine using Macrium Image - Similar Threads - Macrium viBoot Create

2. Macrium Reflect viBoot - Can't delete large *.diff.vhdx

in Windows 10 Support
    Macrium Reflect viBoot - Can't delete large *.diff.vhdx: Hi there, I have successfully installed free Macrium Reflect on Windows 10, do scheduled full and differential images, and have used viBoot to create VM's and logged in to check images. The VM's end up in a default location on my C: drive. I only created the VM's to make...
  3. Macrium Reflect ViBoot Query

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Macrium Reflect ViBoot Query: I notice when I boot a Reflect image using viBoot that I cannot logon to a Microsoft user account having a PIN or password but I can log into my admin account which is a local account using the admin password. Is this normal behaviour? 150623
  4. Macrium Reflect ViBoot Query

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Macrium Reflect ViBoot Query: I notice when I boot a Reflect image using viBoot that I cannot logon to a Microsoft user account having a PIN or password but I can log into my admin account which is a local account using the admin password. Is this normal behaviour? 150623
  5. Macrium ivBoot Backup Virtual Machine Question

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Macrium ivBoot Backup Virtual Machine Question: I'm new to using ivBoot so, I'm wondering about using the Backup Virtual Machine menu item. Does that create a backup file that's independent of the images that were used to create the VM (the VM is of a multi-boot system with a number of disks) or does it update the...
  6. VIBOOT with 32bit UEFI image from Macrium

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    VIBOOT with 32bit UEFI image from Macrium: I have a Macrium Reflect Free image backup from my tablet which is uses a 32bit uefi format installation. I tried to open it in viboot but it refused to open it, and got in a loading failed loop. Installs done with 64bit uefi work fine. I checked the image and it is...
  7. Issue with creating Image on Laptop with Macrium Reflect

Issue with creating Image on Laptop with Macrium Reflect: OK here's my scenario, I have successfully used Macrium Reflect to create images saved on a 1TB external drive. I had 2 good images stored on it and tried to put 3rd image on the same drive. Please note that I have used one of save images to restore the system after replacing...
  8. Macrium Viboot feature and windows 7 testing

Macrium Viboot feature and windows 7 testing: [img] Hello experts, two questions pls 1. I am unable to see viboot feature while restoring in macrium free reflect? Is it restricted to paid version? 2. I tried to viboot in windows 10 machine with windows 7 image and getting attached error? Any idea pls...
  9. Macrium Reflect Is taking a long time to create an image

Macrium Reflect Is taking a long time to create an image: I am using Macrium Reflect Free to create an image of my WD portable hard drive. It has about 1TB worth of files on it. I installed the latest version of Macrium Reflect and used all the default settings to make the backup. It has been 1.5 hours so far and is 7% complete. At...
  10. Macrium Reflect - Use Macrium Image to set up Dual / Multi Boot

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Macrium Reflect - Use Macrium Image to set up Dual / Multi Boot: How to: Macrium Reflect - Use Macrium Image to set up Dual / Multi Boot [img] Information If you ask me, Macrium Reflect should be obligatory, first application installed after installing Windows 10. Users often think it as just another backup application but in fact...