Windows 10: Macrium viBoot - Create Virtual Machine using Macrium Image

Discus and support Macrium viBoot - Create Virtual Machine using Macrium Image in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; Try this: 1.) Shut down Windows XP viBoot vm normally from Start menu of XP 2.) When XP VM has been correctly shut down, select it in viBoot... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Cliff S, Jun 7, 2016.

1. DarHorse Win User

Macrium viBoot - Create Virtual Machine using Macrium Image

Kari- Thank you for the quick reply.
    Here are the results of my testing this morning...

Host system is : Win8.1_X64 [Ver6.3.9600]
    Running viBoot from an Administrative account.

All operations using viBoot interface (not Hyper-V interface)
    Used 'shut down' option from XP VM Start button as you suggested.

Tried 'Full' and "Differential' backups with identical failure results.

Annotated viBoot log-

Information 30/01/2017 15:25:51:0293 Starting virtual machine [WinXP_x86_M52-2].
    Information 30/01/2017 15:25:51:0340 Virtual machine [WinXP_x86_M52-2] state changed from Off to Starting.
    Information 30/01/2017 15:25:53:0527 Virtual machine [WinXP_x86_M52-2] state changed from Starting to Running.
    Information 30/01/2017 15:26:11:0734 Connecting to virtual machine [WinXP_x86_M52-2].
    {Used 'shut down' option from XP VM Start button}
    Information 30/01/2017 15:31:47:0271 Virtual machine [WinXP_x86_M52-2] state changed from Running to Shutting Down.
    Information 30/01/2017 15:31:47:0474 Virtual machine [WinXP_x86_M52-2] state changed from Shutting Down to Off.
    {Used Backup button from viBoot, requesting 'full' backup}

Information 30/01/2017 15:33:27:0703 Backing up virtual machine [WinXP_x86_M52-2] failed.
    {Used Backup button from viBoot, requesting 'differential' backup}
    Information 30/01/2017 15:33:46:0236 Backing up virtual machine [WinXP_x86_M52-2] failed.

{same error messages as before}

I just noticed that the error message refers to the Reflex log; here is what is in the Reflect log-
    Macrium viBoot - Create Virtual Machine using Macrium Image [​IMG] Image ID - 2C2CF2F61F29C0EF Imaging Summary Backup Definition File: c:\users\carloper\appdata\local\temp\vbd9810.tmp XML Validation: Error - '<partition>' is not a valid partition number
    Macrium viBoot - Create Virtual Machine using Macrium Image [​IMG] Backup aborted! - XML validation error
    Macrium Reflect Free Edition for non-commercial use v6.3.1665

Regards

DarHorse, Jan 29, 2017
  2. Kari Win User

I have tested this several times today, in fact I even re-installed Windows XP today on a VM just to install Macrium Reflect on it, make an image and then use that image in viBoot.

I have none whatsoever issues in editing WIn XP on viBoot VM, then saving a new differential or full image.

I will run some more tests, can't promise I can do them today.

3. DarHorse Win User
    Kari- Thanks again for the help.
    Based on your latest comments, I started over again, Building the VM from scratch but, from the same Reflex full backup.

This time I made no changes to the WinXP VM image. After a reboot to get the Legacy network adapter installed, shut down from the image 'Start Button' and tried to do a backup without any success (exactly same results as last time).
    I now suspect this is a viBoot problem and not an 'operator' error.

A bit more information. Looking at the Reflect log error message, I retrieved the referenced (xml) file and have attached.

Regards

Image ID - 7105F41E885330BA Imaging Summary Backup Definition File: c:\users\carloper\appdata\local\temp\vbd560c.tmp XML Validation: Error - '<partition>' is not a valid partition number
    Backup aborted! - XML validation error
    Macrium Reflect Free Edition for non-commercial use v6.3.1665 -

Here is the contents of the file 'c:\users\carloper\appdata\local\temp\vbd560c.tmp':

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
    <backup_definition version="2.0" reflect="v6.0.533">
    <image_pagefile>y</image_pagefile>
    <properties>
    <index_type>0</index_type>
    <name>Macrium viBoot</name>
    <backup_type>0</backup_type>
    <method>0</method>
    <compression>1</compression>
    <aes>0</aes>
    <maxfilesize>0</maxfilesize>
    <password type="clear"></password>
    <intelligent>Y</intelligent>
    </properties>
    <source>
    <image_entry id="1">

<disk>2</disk>

<partition>1</partition>

</image_entry>

<image_entry id="1">

<disk>2</disk>

<partition>1</partition>

</image_entry>

<image_entry id="2">

<disk>2</disk>

<partition>0</partition>

</image_entry>

<append_to_id>3AD13125AB5C90EF</append_to_id>
    </source>
    <destination>
    <directory>D:\Hyper-V\WinXP_x86_M52-2</directory>
    <file_name>WinXP_x86_M52-2_2017_01_30_1739</file_name>
    </destination>
    </backup_definition>

DarHorse, Jan 29, 2017
  4. Kari Win User

I do not think it's a viBoot issue. As I mentioned, I have tested this now several times, existing and new XP installs, existing and new Macrium images. Works every time.

A few questions:
    • On what host drive do you have the XP image stored when you mount it in viBoot?
    • How much free space you have on that drive?
    • How big is the image file?
    • How big is the Windows XP HDD the image is made from (not the partion C: size in XP, I mean the whole HDD)?
    • In viBoot Options, what path is set for VM Repository?

5. DarHorse Win User
    Kari- Thanks. Per your request..
    A few questions:

• On what host drive do you have the XP image stored when you mount it in viBoot? [D:\Hyper-V\WinXP_x86_M52-2\3AD13125AB5C90EF-00-00.mrimg]
    • How much free space you have on that drive? [Total capacity: 321GB. Free space: 152GB.]
    • How big is the image file? [20.7 GB]
    • How big is the Windows XP HDD the image is made from (not the partion C: size in XP, I mean the whole HDD)? [298GB of which the WinXP partition is 47GB.]
    • In viBoot Options, what path is set for VM Repository? [Getting this from Hyper-V settings:
    C:\ProgramData\Macrium\viBoot\{060E5B68-EF3F-4938-99BDC41581A5D7F4}
    also
    Physical hard disk: Disk 1 298.09 GB Bus 0 Lun 0 Target 0
    all automatically configured by viBoot when it created the VM.]Regards

DarHorse, Jan 29, 2017
  6. DarHorse Win User
    Opps..

In viBoot Options, what path is set for VM Repository? [C:\ProgramData\Macrium\viBoot]

DarHorse, Jan 29, 2017
  7. Kari Win User
    @DarHorse

I contacted Macrium about this issue of yours, seems that although it works in my tests with Windows XP images, there's something in viBoot that occasionally causes issue like yours with XP images.

The answer from Macrium in all its simplicity was "We have just become aware of this issue ourselves and we will be releasing a fix ASAP."

Let's wait a bit and give geeks at Macrium a chance to fix the bug *Smile

8. DarHorse Win User

Kari- OK and thanks for all the effort. Greatly appreciated.

DarHorse, Jan 30, 2017
  9. Kari Win User
    Got email from Macrium today about your issue. The message is short and clear:

10. IsaacFL Win User
    I have been using Hyper-V to run a Linux VM for a while now with no issues and saw this tutorial to mount old backups.

I am using Macrium free v6.3.1835.

I installed the viBoot as in the tutorial, mounted a VM from one of my old backups, so seemed to work. This was on 8/13. Just more as curiosity than anything else.

Today I was in the Hyper-V manager and noticed the VM from viBoot, and decided I was done with it, and just deleted.

Now I can't uninstall viBoot.

Macrium viBoot - Create Virtual Machine using Macrium Image [​IMG]

Thinking I maybe messed it up by deleting from Hyper-V manager, I then checked on my system image backup, to see if I could just restore from my daily 6:00 am backup from before I messed it.

That is when I see that my daily system image (Macrium) has been failing since the day I installed the viBoot.

Macrium viBoot - Create Virtual Machine using Macrium Image [​IMG]

No notification from Macrium Reflect, so word of warning, if you don't go into Macrium daily and check your logs, you will not notice it is failing. But any way, my latest backup is the one just prior to installing the viBoot. so restoring the image to earlier today is not an option now.

Can anybody give me a suggestion on how to remove viBoot? I am concerned that my system might be unstable now with this extra drive?

I went in disk manager and saw that it had a disk 9 with a SCSI driver the same size as my C: Drive that wasn't connected properly, so I disable it, but still have the problem.

EDIT: I solved it finally, what I think finally worked: In the viBoot, it showed the "Deleted VM". I deleted the deleted vm, and then it let me uninstall.

IsaacFL, Aug 22, 2017
  11. Fabler2 Win User
    Shows an invalid path?

Hmm just wondering if this is an issue with having the external drive in an USB 3 caddy connected to an old laptop that has only USB 2 ports. Will find an older USB 2 enclosure to try.

Fabler2, Apr 4, 2018
  12. Kari Win User
  13. Kari Win User

14. Kari Win User
  15. Kari Win User
Thema:

1. Macrium viBoot - Create Virtual Machine using Macrium Image - Similar Threads - Macrium viBoot Create

2. Macrium Reflect viBoot - Can't delete large *.diff.vhdx

in Windows 10 Support
    Macrium Reflect viBoot - Can't delete large *.diff.vhdx: Hi there, I have successfully installed free Macrium Reflect on Windows 10, do scheduled full and differential images, and have used viBoot to create VM's and logged in to check images. The VM's end up in a default location on my C: drive. I only created the VM's to make...
  3. Macrium Reflect ViBoot Query

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Macrium Reflect ViBoot Query: I notice when I boot a Reflect image using viBoot that I cannot logon to a Microsoft user account having a PIN or password but I can log into my admin account which is a local account using the admin password. Is this normal behaviour? 150623
  4. Macrium Reflect ViBoot Query

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Macrium Reflect ViBoot Query: I notice when I boot a Reflect image using viBoot that I cannot logon to a Microsoft user account having a PIN or password but I can log into my admin account which is a local account using the admin password. Is this normal behaviour? 150623
  5. Macrium ivBoot Backup Virtual Machine Question

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Macrium ivBoot Backup Virtual Machine Question: I'm new to using ivBoot so, I'm wondering about using the Backup Virtual Machine menu item. Does that create a backup file that's independent of the images that were used to create the VM (the VM is of a multi-boot system with a number of disks) or does it update the...
  6. VIBOOT with 32bit UEFI image from Macrium

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    VIBOOT with 32bit UEFI image from Macrium: I have a Macrium Reflect Free image backup from my tablet which is uses a 32bit uefi format installation. I tried to open it in viboot but it refused to open it, and got in a loading failed loop. Installs done with 64bit uefi work fine. I checked the image and it is...
  7. Issue with creating Image on Laptop with Macrium Reflect

Issue with creating Image on Laptop with Macrium Reflect: OK here's my scenario, I have successfully used Macrium Reflect to create images saved on a 1TB external drive. I had 2 good images stored on it and tried to put 3rd image on the same drive. Please note that I have used one of save images to restore the system after replacing...
  8. Macrium Viboot feature and windows 7 testing

Macrium Viboot feature and windows 7 testing: [img] Hello experts, two questions pls 1. I am unable to see viboot feature while restoring in macrium free reflect? Is it restricted to paid version? 2. I tried to viboot in windows 10 machine with windows 7 image and getting attached error? Any idea pls...
  9. Macrium Reflect Is taking a long time to create an image

Macrium Reflect Is taking a long time to create an image: I am using Macrium Reflect Free to create an image of my WD portable hard drive. It has about 1TB worth of files on it. I installed the latest version of Macrium Reflect and used all the default settings to make the backup. It has been 1.5 hours so far and is 7% complete. At...
  10. Macrium Reflect - Use Macrium Image to set up Dual / Multi Boot

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Macrium Reflect - Use Macrium Image to set up Dual / Multi Boot: How to: Macrium Reflect - Use Macrium Image to set up Dual / Multi Boot [img] Information If you ask me, Macrium Reflect should be obligatory, first application installed after installing Windows 10. Users often think it as just another backup application but in fact...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. macrium virtual image boost

2. how to create macrium viboot in windows home