Windows 10: Macrium wont work unless I resize the OS partition?

Discus and support Macrium wont work unless I resize the OS partition? in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; I decided to clone a 1 TB drive to a 500 gb SSD drive in a laptop. I thought use Macrium, every likes it. So I backed up the entrie drive to to an... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by sdowney717, Apr 10, 2019.

1. Macrium wont work unless I resize the OS partition?

I decided to clone a 1 TB drive to a 500 gb SSD drive in a laptop.
    I thought use Macrium, every likes it.
    So I backed up the entrie drive to to an external USB drive which took 6 hours.
    But it seems all this time is wasted. Macrium says the destination drive is too small.

Can I tell Macrium to somehow use the backup adjust it to fit?
    The data on the 1 TB drive amounts to 180gb only.

Is there some other program that I can use that is easier?
    I dont know what to do now.

:)

sdowney717, Apr 10, 2019
  2. rk3066 Win User

Resize a Partition/Install

Nevermind. Fixed the issue by Resizing the main partition with a live USB linux OS

rk3066, Apr 10, 2019
  3. molnart Win User
    Non destructive partition resizing on Win7

I have 2 SATA HDDs in my PC, all of them divided into 3 partitions as follows:
    HDD1:
    C: Win7 system
    E: software
    F: data

HDD2:
    D: WinXP system
    G: data
    H: data

Now what i want to do is take some place from partition C: and add it to E: and to do the same with D: and G:, obviously while retaining all data and functionality of both OSes.

I know that Win7 is pretty sensitive on partition structure and essentially refuses to work on any partition that was not created by the Win7 setup. Also I think I wont be able to use built-in windows tools for the resizing, as afaik partitions being used cannot be resized (or at least it's not recommended).

What tool would you recommend me for the action to be on the safest side ?

molnart, Apr 10, 2019
  4. JTS
    JTS Win User

Macrium wont work unless I resize the OS partition?

Non destructive partition resizing on Win7

Nope *Smile Macrium wont work unless I resize the OS partition? :) If you have created the NTFS partition prior to installation, you can install it on pretty much any partition you want (with a few exceptions)

Sort of correct. For what you want to do, you're right in that Disk Management will not work. Disk management cannot extend to the left. But you can resize active partitions, but like anything, there is always an risk element.

Depending on how much data is on the second partition, it can also take a bloody long time to do *Wink Macrium wont work unless I resize the OS partition? ;)

For what you need to do, either look at the free Gparted:
    GParted -- Live CD/USB/PXE/HD

or the not free Paragon partition Manager: (not sure if the trial has the feature you need)
    Paragon Hard Disk Manager for Windows | Paragon Software

Thema:

Macrium wont work unless I resize the OS partition?

1. Macrium wont work unless I resize the OS partition? - Similar Threads - Macrium wont unless

2. OS wont boot unless plugged in?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    OS wont boot unless plugged in?: For the last few days my computer has been acting up. First it suddenly shut itself down, then wouldn't turn on, even though the battery wasn't dead at the time. When I turn the computer on it has a black screen and the power light is on. I worked out that after turning it on...
  3. OS wont boot unless plugged in?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    OS wont boot unless plugged in?: For the last few days my computer has been acting up. First it suddenly shut itself down, then wouldn't turn on, even though the battery wasn't dead at the time. When I turn the computer on it has a black screen and the power light is on. I worked out that after turning it on...
  4. Resize partitions

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Resize partitions: I have one 18T HD in two partitions, 6T + 12T unallocated, now I want to shink in one 18T but fail. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/resize-partitions/912c9013-7422-4ac6-aff1-2870203a45a9
  5. Resize partitions

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Resize partitions: I have one 18T HD in two partitions, 6T + 12T unallocated, now I want to shink in one 18T but fail. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/resize-partitions/912c9013-7422-4ac6-aff1-2870203a45a9
  6. Macrium Reflect Clone Fails to Boot Resized Partitions

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Macrium Reflect Clone Fails to Boot Resized Partitions: Hi all, I'm having trouble getting a bootable image, cloning from GPT/UEFI and restoring to same GPT/UEFI. I needed to clean reinstall for unrelated reasons, and thought I should use the opportunity to switch to GPT/UEFI. I've done the following... The OS works great. But...
  7. Macrium wont work unless I resize the OS partition?

in Windows 10 Support
    Macrium wont work unless I resize the OS partition?: I decided to clone a 1 TB drive to a 500 gb SSD drive in a laptop. I thought use Macrium, every likes it. So I backed up the entrie drive to to an external USB drive which took 6 hours. But it seems all this time is wasted. Macrium says the destination drive is too small....
  8. Cannot resize my OS partition

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Cannot resize my OS partition: This is a spin-off from thread Missing Recovery partions - is that a problem? - Windows 10 Forums I'm trying to shrink the OS partition on my Disk 0 to make room for another (small) partition but am having no luck. Disk Manager shows there is 0 shrink space. MiniTool...
  9. Macrium Reflect Free Edition (v6.3.1665) not resizing partitions.

Macrium Reflect Free Edition (v6.3.1665) not resizing partitions.: I'm trying to clone my 250 GB Windows hard drive to a 1TB hard drive, using Macrium Reflect Free Edition (v6.3.1665). However, it is not allowing me to resize the Windows partition to fit the larger drive. It clearly shows 698.63 GB of unallocated space, but "Cloned Partition...
  10. Macrium OS and partitions are missing from the clone file

Macrium OS and partitions are missing from the clone file: I just did my first backup (clone) with Macrium. Below is a screen capture of M7 settings and the clone on my backup drive When I looked on the backup drive, the below image is what I found Where are the partitions with the W10 OS program files etc?? It seems the...