Windows 10: Mail App new IMAP account downloads many years of email headers

Discus and support Mail App new IMAP account downloads many years of email headers in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Hi, I have a June Email account dating back tot he 1990s. I'd like to read new and recent emails in the Mail APP; but I don't want to download all... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by CharlesZelnick, Oct 10, 2020.

1. Mail App new IMAP account downloads many years of email headers

Hi, I have a June Email account dating back tot he 1990s.

I'd like to read new and recent emails in the Mail APP; but I don't want to download all the headers back to 1999!

I can easily add the juno account- put in username and password and immediately it finds the account and starts to download mail headers not the mail or attachments.

The help files say I can click the IMAP account name and go to settings and till it to just download the last 1 month, or 3 months, etc.

THE PROBLEM IS: this account is actively downloading thousands of headers, so it won't let me use the Account Settings to make the change to limit the look back.

How do we set this up before the software downloads 20 years or more of headers like the Sorcerer's Apprentice?

Cheers.

:)

CharlesZelnick, Oct 10, 2020
  2. CeeBee Win User

Mail App - Cannot set up 'Other account POP, IMAP'

Hi, my first post on the forum - can someone help?

I can't see how to set up 'Other account POP, IMAP' in the Win 10 mail app - or rather I can see how to set up accounts and either the app is faulty or I must be missing something, because I've tried using the advanced settings as recommended in the Ten Forums tutorial on the mail app (Mail app - Add or Delete Account in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums) but I don't see anywhere to put the actual email address for the account I'm trying to set up.

Likewise if I do it step by step setup from the 'Other account POP, IMAP' link in setup although I can put the email address in this eventually gets overwritten by my username when setup is finished - I have my own domain and my hosts username format is totally different to my email address - e.g. the mail format would be 'someone@mydomain.com' whilst the username would be in the format 'mydomain.com_someone' - the app appears to assume that mail address and username are going to be the same as when setup is completed the app shows my username as my email address. I've set up an ActiveSync account fine but I'm stumped on setting my personal mailbox up.

I'm probably being stupid, but any help/advice please? Thanks.

CeeBee, Oct 10, 2020
  3. city Win User
    Mail App - Cannot set up 'Other account POP, IMAP'

It seams now that it is working, since this week an update rollup for Windows 10 is available. Now there is a field for setting the email address.

4. Mail App new IMAP account downloads many years of email headers

Unable to add Gmail account in Mail app

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

We understand the concern as you are trying to add Yahoo/Gmail email account in Mail app.
    In order to get clarity and to assist you accordingly, please reply with the answers to the questions below:

• What is the Version and Build of Windows 10 currently installed? (Type
      winver in Windows search/Run command)
    • What is the Version of Mail app installed?
    • Do you have any non-Microsoft Antivirus/security program installed?
    • Are you aware of any changes on the PC prior to this issue?

Meanwhile, we would suggest you to perform these steps and check if that helps.

Steps to add Yahoo email in Mail app.

1. In yahoo mails account security, click on manage app passwords.
    2. After selecting other app and entering the new app name in the text box
    3. Now, in Windows 10 mail app, add this type of account.
    4. In Windows 10 mail app, enter your details and the password generated by step 2

Steps to add Gmail email in Mail app

Step 1: Connect your Google account to PC

1. Go to the Security section of your Google account
    2. Under Connected
      apps
      and sites, go to Apps
      connected to your account
    3. Make sure that Windows is on the list

Step 2: Enable IMAP on your Google account

1. Sign in to Gmail
    2. Click the gear in the top right
    3. Select Settings
    4. Click Forwarding
      and POP/IMAP

5. Select Enable IMAP
    6. Click Save Changes

Step 3: Add Gmail account.

1. Open Mail app.
    2. Click on the gear icon to open settings.
    3. Click on Manage account.
    4. Click on Add account.
    5. Now select Google and check if you are able to add the account.

Regards,

Aditya Roy

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Aditya_Roy, Oct 10, 2020
Thema:

Mail App new IMAP account downloads many years of email headers

1. Mail App new IMAP account downloads many years of email headers - Similar Threads - Mail App IMAP

2. Windows Mail app will not add work email account IMAP.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Mail app will not add work email account IMAP.: When I enter in the details for my work email on my Surface Laptop 2, it is stuck on "Finding your settings" or "creating account" indefinitely. I have tried doing this through Settings, or through the Mail app, and I encounter the same problem each time. Everything is...
  3. Windows Mail app will not add work email account IMAP.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Mail app will not add work email account IMAP.: When I enter in the details for my work email on my Surface Laptop 2, it is stuck on "Finding your settings" or "creating account" indefinitely. I have tried doing this through Settings, or through the Mail app, and I encounter the same problem each time. Everything is...
  4. In the Windows Mail app for an imap account emails get stuck in the Outbox and can't be...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    In the Windows Mail app for an imap account emails get stuck in the Outbox and can't be...: I have a new business account imap and have set it up in Windows Mail however outgoing emails are often stuck in the Outbox without the ability either to push them out or move them to another folder. This seems to happen when I have attachments, but there are other emails...
  5. In the Windows Mail app for an imap account emails get stuck in the Outbox and can't be...

In the Windows Mail app for an imap account emails get stuck in the Outbox and can't be...: I have a new business account imap and have set it up in Windows Mail however outgoing emails are often stuck in the Outbox without the ability either to push them out or move them to another folder. This seems to happen when I have attachments, but there are other emails...
  6. Cannot add an imap account in Windows Mail app

Cannot add an imap account in Windows Mail app: I left it running for two hours and got no messages. Had to force close Mail app https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cannot-add-an-imap-account-in-windows-mail-app/adf62488-ba04-451e-ab52-aa5f6d63b7de
  7. Windows Mail - Adding an imap account

Windows Mail - Adding an imap account: Hello, So, I want to link my work mail account to the desktop app and no matter what I always end up having a "Can't get mail" message below my account. Step by step, here's what I'm doing : Under Account, select Add Account In the popup, choose Advanced setup and then...
  8. Mail app downloading too many e-mails

Mail app downloading too many e-mails: Hi, I have a Hotmail account that I use through the Windows mail app. I have always set it to sync only e-mails from the last month, but recently it has changed by itself to sync all e-mails. I changed it back to one month, but all my old emails still displayed. I tried...
  9. Windows Mail receives email but jams on send and won't send email using imap email account...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows Mail receives email but jams on send and won't send email using imap email account...: Hello, I setup a IMAP email account on my iPad without any issues. After installing the same IMAP email account using the same SSL port settings, Windows 10 Windows Mail App will receive email, but not send. After creating an email and clicking on send, the response from...
  10. New imap email

in Windows 10 Customization
    New imap email: Hi I am running a second email and following a message to say the email has been set up I then get a message to say my details are out of date. I then try to reset the password and it still keeps coming up with Action Required. Can you help....