Windows 10: Mail App not auto-populating "To" field in new message

Discus and support Mail App not auto-populating "To" field in new message in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Purchased new PC so new to Windows 10. Want to use Mail App and was able to set up a POP3 account, the email address was recognized and mail is coming... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by rhweiss, Nov 11, 2019.

1. rhweiss Win User

Mail App not auto-populating "To" field in new message

Purchased new PC so new to Windows 10. Want to use Mail App and was able to set up a POP3 account, the email address was recognized and mail is coming through. I determined that I needed to use the People App to create contacts which obviously uses Outlook (which I never used before). Got the contacts in (using an import of csv file). My issue is that when I use New Message the "to" field will not populate from the People App meaning if I type something it does not bring up any "suggestions" for contacts in the People App. If I click on the person icon on the right of the field, I get a prompt to launch People App, but I can not pull in names. How do I get contacts to automatically pull in people from the contacts listed in People App?

Thanks.

:)

rhweiss, Nov 11, 2019
  2. ARC1020 Win User

How Do You Show Contacts in 'To' Field of Windows 10 Mail App

I thought I'd install Windows 10 Threshold 2 (not to make the same mistake twice, on a laptop I hardly use this time) to see if the built-in Microsoft apps are now any better than they were in July. Disappointingly, with the exception of being able to turn off 'Conversation View', the Mail app is just as diabolically poor as it was back then. But on top of that, another thing I noticed this time is that when you type a name into the 'To:' field, it doesn't even look up that name / email address from your 'People' app contacts. The auto-complete feature only populates for people you've previously emailed.

So basically, if you haven't emailed someone, it won't show their name despite their details and email address being listed in the 'People' app.

Of course, another problem with not populating the auto-complete addresses from your address book is that if a contact changes their email address and you update their details in the 'People' app, the Mail app will still use the old email address in the autocomplete dropdown, causing you to keep emailing the wrong address.

Did Microsoft seriously release a Mail app that can't even look up names in your contacts list?

ARC1020, Nov 11, 2019
  3. ReggieC11 Win User
    Mail Auto fill/Suggest

In Windows 10 Mail app's the To: field when I start to type a name or email address mail doesn't find the closest match and suggest it like all other mail programs! Auto complete or suggestion I think it is called. Our laptop works as I believe it should
    but our desk top does not auto fill.

Any ideas how to get Mail and People integrated? The people button works bringing up the contact list. The "Choose Contacts" button to the right of the To: field seems to work find for the People file button. Just the type ahead feature doesn't work on the
    desktop but does on the laptop, strange!

ReggieC11, Nov 11, 2019
  4. Waddat Win User

how to clear email address auto-population

Hi,

when you start typing an email address into a new composed email, the application starts auto-suggestions of previously used emails and whatever is in the contacts.

If you mis-spelled an email once and sent an email to that address, that address still appears. How can you clear that list.

In Outlook for example you can just move arrow down on the auto-suggestion and hit delete. The same also works in IE or Firefox browsers if you want to delete auto-suggestions on previously used fields.

Cheers,

P

Waddat, Nov 11, 2019
Thema:

1. Mail App not auto-populating "To" field in new message - Similar Threads - Mail App auto

2. Win11 auto populating PIN

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Win11 auto populating PIN: This is only happened with win11 and coming out of sleep mode, it will keep auto populating the pin till it gets to the challenge, I thought it was my wireless kb but when I turned it off, I can see windows using 3 as a pin and it just keeps going for some reason, anyone else...
  3. Win11 auto populating PIN

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Win11 auto populating PIN: This is only happened with win11 and coming out of sleep mode, it will keep auto populating the pin till it gets to the challenge, I thought it was my wireless kb but when I turned it off, I can see windows using 3 as a pin and it just keeps going for some reason, anyone else...
  4. Mail and calendar app location field is not clickable or selectable

Mail and calendar app location field is not clickable or selectable: The windows 10 mail and calendar app has a serious flaw in the calendar event view. Any URL added to the location field which is very common for zoom out other online meetings for instance is neither clickable nor selectable to copy. It is unbelievable that the simplest of...
  5. Cannot type in search fields, run field, or Mail

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Cannot type in search fields, run field, or Mail: After recovering from an exception error caused by CorsairVBusDriver.sys by first restoring windows, then renaming all occurrences of the file to include .bak at the end, I uninstalled Corsair Utility Engine, dated 2016, and installed the newest iCUE dated 2020. I am unable...
  6. Version 1903 Auto Populate

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Version 1903 Auto Populate: Windows 10 version 1903 offered auto populate, so as I would start typing in file explorer, my images would start to pull up before I pressed enter, making it easier/faster to locate. Version 1909, does not offer this and the search bar has an orange arrow key, forcing you...
  7. Auto bcc on Mail app

Auto bcc on Mail app: When will auto bcc be added to the Mail app? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/auto-bcc-on-mail-app/5a73d326-236c-45e5-9562-d668f9decc8d
  8. Auto Fill Field defaults

in Windows 10 Customization
    Auto Fill Field defaults: The auto fill fields are filled up with values that are no longer valid. How can I change the defaults to my current correct values like new email address etc? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/auto-fill-field-defaults/ddd8fd9f-8b9c-48e8-b909-e2b09fb7b6a8
  9. Mail app won't auto sync

in Browsers and Email
    Mail app won't auto sync: My mail app won't auto sync in Windows 10. I am logged in with my windows ID but my mail I primarily use is from my ISP. So I set it up and all emails came through, it works. Apart from auto sync, I have it set to every 15 mins but it doesn't do it. If I launch the mail app...
  10. Populating new PC with AutoRoute

Populating new PC with AutoRoute: An existing Windows7 PC has been replaced with one having Windows 10. The current task is to copy over user data and reload the programs from the original CDs. Time consuming but achievable until we get to AutoRoute 2011 when an error message appears stating the installation...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows mail app To field

2. windows mail address type ahead

3. windows 10 mail not populating email address

4. Mail App doesnt show names in To field