Windows 10: Mail keeps adding spurious PNG attachments

Discus and support Mail keeps adding spurious PNG attachments in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; When I reply to an email, Mail keeps adding spurious PNG files to my messages. They definitely aren't there when I hit "send" or when they're in my... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by Keeping Up, Dec 16, 2015.

1. Mail keeps adding spurious PNG attachments

When I reply to an email, Mail keeps adding spurious PNG files to my messages. They definitely aren't there when I hit "send" or when they're in my outbox, but they are attached to the mail before the recipient gets it. Sometimes I see them in my "Sent" file, but not always; usually the recipient cannot open them and often I cannot do so either, but when I can open them they seem to show a graphic related to the business of the original sender of the mail that I am replying to (it doesn't happen if I start a new mail instead of replying to one)

Can anybody explain to me what is going on?

:)

Keeping Up, Dec 16, 2015

2. Mail keeps adding spurious images after I send

Thank you for the response.

The Troubleshooter found no issues.

I had previously deleted the accounts and reinstated them, it made no difference.

I don't believe I get this effect wghen I use my mail from the browser, or from an Android device. However I cannot be certain as I have been unable to make even the Mail app do it again since posting this. Perhaps it is some form of interaction between
    Mail and Yahoo. I will have to wait and see if it does it again.

KeepingUp51257, Dec 16, 2015
  3. Mail keeps adding spurious images after I send

When I reply to an email, if it contained a link to a website (such as a company website that is referenced in the signature) Windows Mail seems to look on that site and selects a random jpg or img file from that page if it finds one, or selects an area
    of text on the page and makes a png image from it. It then attaches that image to the outgoing mail secretly; it doesn't show in the Outbox, nor even in the Sent Mail folder unless I deliberately refresh it later. It's rather like the way Facebook attaches
    an image if you include a link in one of your postings.

The annoying thing is that the image may bear no relationship to the topic of the email, or the file my be unreadable by the recipient (especiaslly if its a png file) or it may be rejected by their firewall because it contains an image.

What is going on? Why does it do this and can I turn off this "undocumented feature"?

KeepingUp51257, Dec 16, 2015
  4. Berton Win User

Mail keeps adding spurious PNG attachments

When I see problems with sending or replying or forwarding I add one of my other E-Mail accounts such as Hotmail or Gmail in the BCC block, see if I get what is actually being sent and probably what the other recipient/s get.

Berton, Dec 16, 2015
  5. I've seen some of them in my "sent" box, after the recipients contacted me to say they couldn't open the attachments. The question is, why are they there?

Keeping Up, Dec 16, 2015
  6. I'm still puzzled about this. After studying the problem, it seems as if when I reply to an email which contained a link to a website (such as a company website that is referenced in their signature) the email client looks on that site and selects a random jpg or img file from that page if it finds one, or selects an area of the page and makes a png image from it. It then attaches that image to the outgoing mail secretly; it doesn't show in the Outbox, nor even in the Sent Mail folder unless you deliberately refresh it. It's rather like the way Facebook attaches an image if you include a link in one of your postings.

The annoying thing is that the image may bear no relationship to the topic of the email, or the file my be unreadable by the recipient (especiaslly if its a png file) or it may be rejected by their firewall because it contains an image.

Keeping Up, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Mail keeps adding spurious PNG attachments

1. Mail keeps adding spurious PNG attachments - Similar Threads - Mail keeps adding

2. e-mail attachments

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    e-mail attachments: I can't open attachments in my *** Email address is removed for privacy *** and *** Email address is removed for privacy *** addresses. This has been happening for the last 10 days or so. Does it have to do with Norton? Please help....
  3. Mail attachments

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Mail attachments: When trying to open catalogue attachment to auction mail received, it won't open and an icon appears which is a YELLOW SQUARE WITH MONKEY HEAD INSIDE and click1x1. What is this. Seems to be only happening since MICROSOFT EDGE format change recently....
  4. No Attachment in mail

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    No Attachment in mail: I tried to send an Email with a picture attached. the email comes but the attachment is not visible. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/no-attachment-in-mail/2ee517d7-6bd3-48d0-92cc-7e47bc8b6ab9
  5. Windows 10 mail won’t print email with png attachment

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows 10 mail won’t print email with png attachment: With windows 10 mail i cannot print emails with png attachment, clicking print results in the print window going away, the print preview window doesn’t open and nothing happens at the printer. All other emails without png attachments print ok. Forwarding the png email to...
  6. Spurious address suggestions in Windows Mail

Spurious address suggestions in Windows Mail: I have a problem with Windows 10 Mail that must be easily solvable, but I can’t find the way! Whilst composing an email, when I type a name into the ‘To’ box, Mail suggests some names. The trouble is that it includes some obsolete addresses that I’ve used before, but not...
  7. Mail for Windows adding random .png files to emails

Mail for Windows adding random .png files to emails: Mail for Windows is adding unknown (to me) .png files to my emails. They do not appear on the Sent box copy of the email. Their form is similar each time, a square with no content other than a thin white line across the middle. They appear in my file library but won't be...
  8. E-mail attachments

E-mail attachments: Cannot attached files when sending e-mails https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/e-mail-attachments/2f2e4129-5d02-4eb9-bfc1-b905de3a15bb
  9. adding a mail account to mail and keeping it there

adding a mail account to mail and keeping it there: I have been using mail for some time. it has a number of accounts. recently my most used account (my every day one) disappeared. I reloaded it (its Hotmail) and used it. the next time I used it, it had gone again and now I have to add it as an account, then it disappears and...
  10. Spurious Update

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Spurious Update: On both computers, Windows 10 keeps trying to install an update for a Brother printer; this has been going on for a few days. The updater shows that the update is ready, so when I tell Windows to install it, it starts and immediately quits. If I then check for updates, the...