Windows 10: Mail "Unable to open ..." and duplicate Google Chrome in Default apps

Discus and support Mail "Unable to open ..." and duplicate Google Chrome in Default apps in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; Hello, recently I received Windows 10 may 1903 (18362.145) upgrade and it messed up Mail app for me, now I can't open any link in all of messages,... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by JoeKitty, Jun 2, 2019.

1. JoeKitty Win User

Mail "Unable to open ..." and duplicate Google Chrome in Default apps

Hello, recently I received Windows 10 may 1903 (18362.145) upgrade and it messed up Mail app for me, now I can't open any link in all of messages, everytime I click on a link I get an error "Unable to open ..." (see screenshot):

Mail "Unable to open ..." and duplicate Google Chrome in Default apps [​IMG]

I went to Google but all I was able to find is that it may be connected to Default apps somehow so after Windows upgrade when selecting default browser in Default apps there I see two Google Chrome (76.0.3806.1 (Official Build) dev (64-bit)) browsers, one with correct icon and one with blank (other screenshot):

Mail "Unable to open ..." and duplicate Google Chrome in Default apps [​IMG]

When the correct is selected in Chrome settings it says that it's a default browser, but when I select blank, in settings there's nothing but "make this browser default", so I guess the empty one is the faulty one and somehow it messes with Mail app so when it tries to open a link, it can't coz I think instead of correct Chrome it uses the faulty one even tho the correct is selected as default (I didn't have two Chromes installed not before upgrade nor after, just for the clarity). Here's the question, how can I surgically remove this duplicate ghost empty Google Chrome entry from default browser selection in Default apps so that reinstall Chrome is not an option? There's definitely smth in registry to clean up. Also when I'm opening url shortcut from Desktop it opens as usual in correct Chrome, no issues. Plus I tried to change default browser to Edge, it worked, Mail was opening any link in Edge correctly but that's not what I need, then I changed back to correct Chrome and error is still here. I'd be very glad to solve this issue without Chrome reinstall, any help appreciated, ask if any logs needed or registry parts or smth. PS this didn't help

:)

JoeKitty, Jun 2, 2019
  2. Brink Win User

Mail app will not open on 10041.

Hello Adam,

This is the suggested solution below if you haven't already tried it. Mail "Unable to open ..." and duplicate Google Chrome in Default apps :)

In this Windows 10 build 10041, the Mail, Calendar, and People apps may be broken due to a licensing issue with the Store Beta. To get these apps working again, you need to follow these steps:

• Open powershell as administrator
    • Run the command Get-appxprovisionedpackage –online | where-object {$_.packagename –like “*windowscommunicationsapps*”} | remove-appxprovisionedpackage –online
    • Re-install Mail, People and Calendar from the Store (green tile)

Brink, Jun 2, 2019
  3. LizKneale Win User
    Google chrome.

Yes from the Google Chrome website.

I am also battling to sign in to this page. It takes ages. (using Edge)

Also the apps default settings page freezes on opening

On the apps list under settings it shows Google chrome but states that it is unavailable

LizKneale, Jun 2, 2019
  4. jhona107 Win User

Windows 10 not allowing to change default browser to google chrome

I recently re-installed windows 10. Have tried every way to change default browser from Edge to Chrome, to no avail. Even changed the default by file type, HTML, Htm, to open with google chrome. Under Apps & Features, google is listed as my browser, but in Default apps-Web browser-choose default, I can click on google chrome till the cows come home and no sale. Very frustrated, have never like Edge. What is my next move? Even Apps by protocol has google chrome listed but it still won't respond.

jhona107, Jun 2, 2019
Thema:

1. Mail "Unable to open ..." and duplicate Google Chrome in Default apps - Similar Threads - Mail Unable open

2. google chrome will not open

in Windows 10 Customization
    google chrome will not open: Google chrome will not open https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/google-chrome-will-not-open/5daf90aa-2128-4caf-9296-d3470efb3b3b
  3. unable to open google chrome browser in windows 10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    unable to open google chrome browser in windows 10: unable to open google chrome browser in windows 10, therefore cannot uninstall google chrome browser, keeps saying programs are running in background. unable to find any thing open. this just happened today....
  4. Duplicate Chrome

in Windows 10 Customization
    Duplicate Chrome: Hey, for some reason there is a duplicate Google Chrome on the default browser menu. I have tried to see if there's a duplicate file with CC Cleaner, but there doesn't seem to be anything there. It's not really huge a problem, but it's a little annoying. How can I get rid...
  5. unable to open chrome

unable to open chrome: so I have an adult account but for whatever reason chrome is unable to open at all, also I am not in any other family, trying to open chrome causes this[ATTACH] also clicking ask by email does this[ATTACH]...
  6. Unable to Install Google Chrome

Unable to Install Google Chrome: Hello, I use Google Chrome daily on my PC but a few sites weren't accessible with my current version of Chrome. When updating, there was a small black window pops up but quickly disappears & the process stops. I read a few internet posts saying to do a clean install (tried...
  7. Unable to remove Google Chrome from Xbox app

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to remove Google Chrome from Xbox app: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/apps_windows_10-win_xbox/google-chrome-in-xbox-app/b4c41265-705d-49eb-9e9a-e7f9dfd90367 I am having this same issue and none of the suggestion worked. I am running Chrome 71 on Windows 10 version 1809 10.0.17763.195....
  8. Can't open google chrome

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Can't open google chrome: Hi ! So I connected my xbox account to the pc to see how it goes( I have a child account on xbox so I had to give an adult account to play the games ) and the next day I can't open Google Chrome. It says "Ask for permission". I looked on youtube, google, haven't found...
  9. Can one define a Google Chrome App as default app for a filetype?

Can one define a Google Chrome App as default app for a filetype?: I would like to define a Google Chrome app (aka. Google Chrome extension) called "Readium" as default handler for .epub files (an ebook format), because I consider it better than Edge (which handles these files by default) for this purpose. Now, I was able to define Chrome...
  10. Unable to set Chrome or any app as a default app.

Unable to set Chrome or any app as a default app.: So i use auto key for quickly opening up tabs in chrome, well the other day i was doing my normal routine and it loaded chrome but said it wasnt the default browser. as odd as i thought that was i clicked 'Set as default browser'. Well it then pops up the settings, default...