Windows 10: Mail "Unable to open ..." and duplicate Google Chrome in Default apps

Discus and support Mail "Unable to open ..." and duplicate Google Chrome in Default apps in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; Hello, recently I received Windows 10 may 1903 (18362.145) upgrade and it messed up Mail app for me, now I can't open any link in all of messages,... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by JoeKitty, Jun 2, 2019.

1. JoeKitty Win User

Mail "Unable to open ..." and duplicate Google Chrome in Default apps

Hello, recently I received Windows 10 may 1903 (18362.145) upgrade and it messed up Mail app for me, now I can't open any link in all of messages, everytime I click on a link I get an error "Unable to open ..." (see screenshot):

Mail "Unable to open ..." and duplicate Google Chrome in Default apps [​IMG]

I went to Google but all I was able to find is that it may be connected to Default apps somehow so after Windows upgrade when selecting default browser in Default apps there I see two Google Chrome (76.0.3806.1 (Official Build) dev (64-bit)) browsers, one with correct icon and one with blank (other screenshot):

Mail "Unable to open ..." and duplicate Google Chrome in Default apps [​IMG]

When the correct is selected in Chrome settings it says that it's a default browser, but when I select blank, in settings there's nothing but "make this browser default", so I guess the empty one is the faulty one and somehow it messes with Mail app so when it tries to open a link, it can't coz I think instead of correct Chrome it uses the faulty one even tho the correct is selected as default (I didn't have two Chromes installed not before upgrade nor after, just for the clarity). Here's the question, how can I surgically remove this duplicate ghost empty Google Chrome entry from default browser selection in Default apps so that reinstall Chrome is not an option? There's definitely smth in registry to clean up. Also when I'm opening url shortcut from Desktop it opens as usual in correct Chrome, no issues. Plus I tried to change default browser to Edge, it worked, Mail was opening any link in Edge correctly but that's not what I need, then I changed back to correct Chrome and error is still here. I'd be very glad to solve this issue without Chrome reinstall, any help appreciated, ask if any logs needed or registry parts or smth. PS this didn't help

:)

JoeKitty, Jun 2, 2019
  2. Brink Win User

Mail app will not open on 10041.

Hello Adam,

This is the suggested solution below if you haven't already tried it. Mail "Unable to open ..." and duplicate Google Chrome in Default apps :)

In this Windows 10 build 10041, the Mail, Calendar, and People apps may be broken due to a licensing issue with the Store Beta. To get these apps working again, you need to follow these steps:

• Open powershell as administrator
    • Run the command Get-appxprovisionedpackage –online | where-object {$_.packagename –like “*windowscommunicationsapps*”} | remove-appxprovisionedpackage –online
    • Re-install Mail, People and Calendar from the Store (green tile)

Brink, Jun 2, 2019
  3. LizKneale Win User
    Google chrome.

Yes from the Google Chrome website.

I am also battling to sign in to this page. It takes ages. (using Edge)

Also the apps default settings page freezes on opening

On the apps list under settings it shows Google chrome but states that it is unavailable

LizKneale, Jun 2, 2019
  4. jhona107 Win User

Windows 10 not allowing to change default browser to google chrome

I recently re-installed windows 10. Have tried every way to change default browser from Edge to Chrome, to no avail. Even changed the default by file type, HTML, Htm, to open with google chrome. Under Apps & Features, google is listed as my browser, but in Default apps-Web browser-choose default, I can click on google chrome till the cows come home and no sale. Very frustrated, have never like Edge. What is my next move? Even Apps by protocol has google chrome listed but it still won't respond.

jhona107, Jun 2, 2019
Thema:

1. Mail "Unable to open ..." and duplicate Google Chrome in Default apps - Similar Threads - Mail Unable open

2. google chrome default program

in Windows 10 Gaming
    google chrome default program: Hello.I notice that when choose for example google chrome as the default browser when reopen settings is unmarked.Is that normal? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/google-chrome-default-program/770337ee-d87b-451c-86bf-87bb7c49a36d
  3. google chrome default program

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    google chrome default program: Hello.I notice that when choose for example google chrome as the default browser when reopen settings is unmarked.Is that normal? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/google-chrome-default-program/770337ee-d87b-451c-86bf-87bb7c49a36d
  4. google chrome as default browser

in Windows 10 Gaming
    google chrome as default browser: Hello!I'm having a strange repeting problem and I don't know what is causing it. I set google chrome as my default browser and yes when I open it, it's chrome that I see. The problem is when I open a new tab: it switches browser for no reasons. I ofter opens bing or yahoo...
  5. google chrome as default browser

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    google chrome as default browser: Hello!I'm having a strange repeting problem and I don't know what is causing it. I set google chrome as my default browser and yes when I open it, it's chrome that I see. The problem is when I open a new tab: it switches browser for no reasons. I ofter opens bing or yahoo...
  6. google chrome as default browser

in Windows 10 Customization
    google chrome as default browser: I have been using Google Chrome as my default browser forever, however now the last few days every time I click on the icon to launch it, it won't open. I have tried everything! I have uninstalled and reinstalled it at least 6x and still nothing has worked.Is or has anyone...
  7. google chrome is not opening

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    google chrome is not opening: the application has failed to start because it side-by-side configuration is incorrect.. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/google-chrome-is-not-opening/a3cdf030-932d-47ff-b600-126b74d92256
  8. google chrome will not open

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    google chrome will not open: My google chrome will not open https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/google-chrome-will-not-open/e7e33c03-3800-48fe-ae99-bd241f75b1c0
  9. google chrome will not open

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    google chrome will not open: Restarted my computer and now Google Chrome will not open up. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/google-chrome-will-not-open/ac556932-f95f-4c55-887f-dbe4c5984b43
  10. google chrome will not open

in Windows 10 Customization
    google chrome will not open: Google chrome will not open https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/google-chrome-will-not-open/5daf90aa-2128-4caf-9296-d3470efb3b3b