Windows 10: MailApp - where on my harddrive are the emails?

Discus and support MailApp - where on my harddrive are the emails? in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; Greetings. Where does the MailApp store the emails it downloads? In Windows Live Mail 2012 you can select a folder where you want it (away from C:\).... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by Burgurne, Oct 3, 2016.

1. Burgurne Win User

MailApp - where on my harddrive are the emails?

Greetings.
    Where does the MailApp store the emails it downloads? In Windows Live Mail 2012 you can select a folder where you want it (away from C:\). But I can't find anything about that in the mail-app? *Redface

:)

Burgurne, Oct 3, 2016
  2. ced2 Win User

Unopened emails deleted using Windows 10 Mailapp show as read/opened - security issue

As you suggested, we ran the SFC Scan and DISM scan included in the above link. Some files were found that were "incorrect, corrupted, changed, or damaged" and were unable to be corrected by the utility. The fixes seemed beyond our ability, so we took
    the laptop in for "repair". The files have now been corrected and the SFC scan runs with the result: "did not find any integrity violations".

We then tested the MAILAPP problem where it shows an unopened/deleted email as open/read. The MAILAPP still reacts the same as it did originally.

So, again, we would appreciate it if someone who is actually
    running Windows 10 and the MAILAPP would test the "delete" option and let us know if they get the same results, meaning: this is what Microsoft intended the MAILAPP to do, even though we still think this is a security issue.

To TEST, please do the following:

Set the mailapp with the above settings.

Delete an unopened/unread email by right-clicking the trashcan

Then go to the "delete" folder and see if the "blue bar" is visible on the email header

Also in the deleted folder, right-click on the email and see if one of the options is "mark as unread" - which indicates the email as been opened/read

We still look forward to hearing from someone who has tried the above test.

ced2, Oct 3, 2016
  3. ced2 Win User
    Unopened emails deleted using Windows 10 Mailapp show as read/opened - security issue

When using Windows 10 Mailapp, deleting an unopened email (because it could be a virus or other security issue) causes the email to show as read/opened in the deleted folder and the "blue bar" on the left is gone. When right-clicking on one of these emails
    in deleted folder, an option is "mark as unread", which indicates the email as been opened/read.

We are concerned that when deleting an unopened email using the Mailapp, the email is automatically opened as well as deleted and a virus/malware could be launched.

Is this function working as designed in the Windows 10 Mailapp? Or is there some other way to delete an unopened email with the Mailapp that will not automatically open it?

ced2, Oct 3, 2016
  4. gpstoloff Win User

W10 Mail doesn't store anything on your hard drive; it can store messages in Outlook.com folders, but they're stored on the Outlook.com web site. Any messages you download from POP or IMAP accounts are only stored in a common folder in your AppData, AFAIK.

gpstoloff, Oct 3, 2016
  5. Burgurne Win User
    I still can't find the folder. It is emails from my gmail-account i'm looking for, but where are they??

Burgurne, Oct 3, 2016
  6. lx07 Win User
    The emails are stored as .dat files in %localappdata%\Comms\Unistore\data\ inside randomly named folders. If you copy one of the .dat files to desktop, change the filetype to .html then you can open the mail in Edge but this isn't particularly useful.

I don't think you can move the save location or access the downloaded mails outside of the mail app in any practical or convenient way.

lx07, Oct 3, 2016
  7. Burgurne Win User
    Thank you for the help. Now I found them. But when I can't get the emails away from the systemdrive, I don't want to use the Mail-app, so I have to find another solution.

Burgurne, Oct 4, 2016
  8. gpstoloff Win User

Then, you may need an off-line mail client like Thunderbird or eM Client. Their interfaces aren't as clean as W10 Mail, and many of them are paid applications.

gpstoloff, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. MailApp - where on my harddrive are the emails? - Similar Threads - MailApp where harddrive

2. Where is my msn emails at

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Where is my msn emails at: Where is my msn emails gone tooI’m so confused about this Microsoft thingy it looks like there are several Microsoft things going on for me Microsoft out look I may have a Microsoft outlook.com email,Microsoft 360 home which I pay monthly for..but the main thing is where did...
  3. Where is my msn emails at

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Where is my msn emails at: Where is my msn emails gone tooI’m so confused about this Microsoft thingy it looks like there are several Microsoft things going on for me Microsoft out look I may have a Microsoft outlook.com email,Microsoft 360 home which I pay monthly for..but the main thing is where did...
  4. Where is my msn emails at

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. where are my emails

in Windows 10 Gaming
    where are my emails: I am not receiving any emails on my pc https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/where-are-my-emails/5a9ee240-8bdb-4518-bcc2-63e898e3cf44
  6. where are my emails

where are my emails: I am not receiving any emails on my pc https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/where-are-my-emails/5a9ee240-8bdb-4518-bcc2-63e898e3cf44
  7. where is my email

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    where is my email: I can't display my email https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/where-is-my-email/7198b047-7193-4c84-84d4-ab23ec3d3e60
  8. where's my email?

where's my email?: HOW DO I FIND NY STUPID EMAIL! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/wheres-my-email/fda3c77d-4be5-44e1-a8e6-f17d49559a28
  9. where is my outlook email?

in Windows 10 Customization
    where is my outlook email?: waiting for an emailed confirmation number, but cannot find email on this computer. worked fine on win 7, now with win10, i can't find it https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/where-is-my-outlook-email/0ce55a58-e9bf-44b2-bc41-0d0256e5a50b
  10. where are Emails on my Windows10?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    where are Emails on my Windows10?: how do I locate my Emails on Windows10? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/where-are-emails-on-my-windows10/add41338-ac83-4dcd-abd9-aa035b4fc9f2

Users found this page by searching for:

1. Ailapp download 2012