Windows 10: Mail's association with "Send to", "Mail recipient" cannot be repaired

Discus and support Mail's association with "Send to", "Mail recipient" cannot be repaired in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Hi, This Mail feature has never worked since day 1 for me. The error "There is no email program associated to perform the requested action" persists... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Gerry_S, Oct 5, 2019.

1. Gerry_S Win User

Mail's association with "Send to", "Mail recipient" cannot be repaired

Hi,

This Mail feature has never worked since day 1 for me. The error "There is no email program associated to perform the requested action" persists despite all corrective actions. I've followed all of the Microsoft Support suggestions, starting with resetting the Mail app. The 'Reset procedure had zero effect. Uninstalling the App via PowerShell command line, and then reinstalling the app from the Windows Store changed nothing. Detailed review shows that all settings for using 'Mail' as my email program are as expected. All program associations, all protocol associations, all file type associations, everything ever mentioned in the many posts about this error on the net are exactly as specified. I can easily remove the program using PowerShell 'Get-AppxPackage Microsoft.windowscommunicationsapps | Remove-AppxPackage', and reinstall from the Microsoft Store. Followed by PowerShell 'dism /online /Add-Capability /CapabilityName:OneCoreUAP.OneSync~~~~0.0.1.0' Mail works well in all other respects except for the error "There is no email program associated to perform the requested action".

One problem jumps out. Absolutely nothing listed above corrects or even updates the Mail registry keys for 'Software\Clients'. This is true for both HKey Current User and HKey Local Machine. Manually adding Mail as the default value for both of these does nothing. No keys or subkeys for Mail are ever created, no matter how many successful uninstalls and re-installs/reboots I do.

It appears there may be a cache of configuration data somewhere that is not being corrected. I say this because even though I can easily remove the program using PowerShell (Get-AppxPackage Microsoft.windowscommunicationsapps | Remove-AppxPackage), after I reinstall from Microsoft Store I am not asked for any config info upon first use. Both of my Gmail accounts re-appear instantly with full mail history. I am not signed in to Goggle or Gmail at the time. I do have to add my Outlook email back, and it works fine also.

Through two days of uninstalling/reinstalling, including 'dism /online /Add-Capability CapabilityName:OneCoreUAP.OneSync~~~~0.0.1.0', and switching back and forth to a different program as my default email program, neither of the Registry areas mentioned above or ever updated at all. What could be up with this? This simple feature remains broken, having never worked with Mail ever.

Thanks.

:)

Gerry_S, Oct 5, 2019
  2. Hamish Win User

Send-to mail recipient association to Outlook but should be to Mail

I recently visited my sister and set up a new computer for her with Windows 10, MS Office 2016 professional and using the Windows Mail. She is as pleased as punch but when wanting to send jpegs to a mail recipient (and resize them accordingly) it asks her to create a new profile in Outlook.

So I must have installed Outlook by mistake, and further it has somehow associated itself with the "send to mail recipient" function.

The computer is in a different country so its quite a problem for me.

First thought was to uninstall Outlook only. This does not seem to be easily possible.
    settings, app, apps and features, Office 2016..., modify - then allows only repair or uninstall. To be honest I am afraid to ask her to press the uninstall button in case it uninstalls the lot and then I have an even bigger problem!

Will it give us the choice to uninstall only Outlook?

Second thought was to correct the file associations.
    Settings, apps, default apps, mail is set to Mail
    set defaults by app, Mail has everything set to Mail
    set defaults by app, Outlook has the sendto function now set to Mail (but this did not help even after a restart). There are a lot of other file types/functions here which don't seem to give the option of being set to Mail.

What can we do? Is there something in choose default applications by protocol which can be reassigned to Mail from Outlook?

Thanks for your advice...

Hamish, Oct 5, 2019
  3. JohnnyGui Win User
    "Send to Mail Recipient" not associated with Mail app?

Hello all,

I remember this being a problem in Windows 8.1 and to my surprise, it's still present in Windows 10. When right-clicking a file (e.g. an image) selecting "Send To" and then choosing "Mail recipient" Windows would say that there isn't an e-mail program associated with this option and that I'd have to select one in the Standard Apps settings. However, when I go there and view the Standard apps per protocol, I can clearly see that the "Mail to" protocol is already associated with the Mail app.

How to fix this?

JohnnyGui, Oct 5, 2019
  4. dalchina Win User

Send-to mail recipient association to Outlook but should be to Mail

Hi, this is not straightforward. The Sendto mail recipient requires a MAPI compliant mail program (If you examine shell:sendto you will see MailRecipient.MAPIMail). Essentially this also requires a client that can be invoked with a parameter - and universal apps don't take parameters- they are not exe files.

See:
    Windows 10 error - Microsoft Community
    for more discussion and find

- it seems this offers a solution.

Please let us know if it works. Thanks.

dalchina, Oct 5, 2019
Thema:

1. Mail's association with "Send to", "Mail recipient" cannot be repaired - Similar Threads - Mail's association Send

2. Mail will not connect with send to mail recipiant

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Mail will not connect with send to mail recipiant: I have been using a number of different email programs. Recently had to give one up and now using outlook again. A feature I use a lot is right click images and use send to mail recipient, I have tried changing the setting to mail and reboot. change to google, reboot. and...
  3. Mail will not connect with send to mail recipiant

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Mail will not connect with send to mail recipiant: I have been using a number of different email programs. Recently had to give one up and now using outlook again. A feature I use a lot is right click images and use send to mail recipient, I have tried changing the setting to mail and reboot. change to google, reboot. and...
  4. "Send to mail recipient" problem!

in Windows 10 Customization
    "Send to mail recipient" problem!: I use Windows 10. The “send to email recipient” always worked perfectly until Microsoft performed an update a couple of months ago.I have tried every suggestion on the internet and none have worked. Thunderbird is selected as my default email program. Outlook is my...
  5. Editing "send to: mail recipient"

in Windows 10 Customization
    Editing "send to: mail recipient": I have a friend whose computer recently died. He is now running the latest version of Windows 10 and uses Eudora 7 as his mail client. He does not wish to change. I have tried! Previously when using Windows 10 if he wanted to send a picture which he wanted to compress he...
  6. Send to mail recipient not working

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Send to mail recipient not working: I use the "send to mail recipient" in the past by highlighting files, right click and selecting "send to mail recipient". An email would open in outlook with the files as attachments. When I do this now file explorer closes and no email is created. I have windows 10 and use...
  7. Cannot use Windows Mail in "Send to -> mail recipient"

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cannot use Windows Mail in "Send to -> mail recipient": As it stands, this problem is still unsolved, and not even responded by Microsoft after 4 YEARS (!!!): https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cannot-set-windows-mail-app-as-default-email/cc01a046-7f46-4567-8f82-444fd5abf6e6. This is VERY important for my...
  8. "Send to Mail Recipient" not associated with Mail app?

in Browsers and Email
    "Send to Mail Recipient" not associated with Mail app?: Hello all, I remember this being a problem in Windows 8.1 and to my surprise, it's still present in Windows 10. When right-clicking a file (e.g. an image) selecting "Send To" and then choosing "Mail recipient" Windows would say that there isn't an e-mail program associated...
  9. Send To Mail Recipient Issues

in Browsers and Email
    Send To Mail Recipient Issues: At some point in the last couple of weeks the Send To/Mail Recipient function has stopped working. When I select a file and do the send to, Windows starts thinking, the explorer window that I have selected this from stops taking input and then eventually, with no error...
  10. Send-to mail recipient association to Outlook but should be to Mail

in Browsers and Email
    Send-to mail recipient association to Outlook but should be to Mail: I recently visited my sister and set up a new computer for her with Windows 10, MS Office 2016 professional and using the Windows Mail. She is as pleased as punch but when wanting to send jpegs to a mail recipient (and resize them accordingly) it asks her to create a new...