Windows 10: Mailto: in Browsers not working

Discus and support Mailto: in Browsers not working in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; Good Day, I have recently upgrade to windows 10 and the mailto: links dont work anymore. Running outlook 2013. When I go to a webpage with a clickable... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by alex1002, Oct 1, 2015.

1. alex1002 Win User

Mailto: in Browsers not working

Good Day,
    I have recently upgrade to windows 10 and the mailto: links dont work anymore. Running outlook 2013. When I go to a webpage with a clickable email it no longer opens outlook new message. I tried to check the default programs, made sure that outlook is the default for mailto:. This feature worked fine with my windows 8.1
    Can anyone advice?
    Thank you

:)

alex1002, Oct 1, 2015
  2. DaveM121 Win User

Error message

OK, I think you are clicking on a Email link and if you do not have a mail client like MS Outlook installed, Windows does not know how to open a mailto link. Most users nowadays open email in their Web browser but this is not the same as having a mail client
    installed . . .

Each browser handles mailto links differently, your best option is to google your browser name and the mailto handler

For example 'how to set mailto handler in Chrome'

DaveM121, Oct 1, 2015
  3. MAILTO NOT WORKING IN WINDOWS 10

I had the same problem. Because MAILTO was displaying Chrome browser even if the default app was Outlook, I tried changing the default browser to Microsoft Edge. IT WORKS... but I don't why it has to be MS Edge. Any reason, microsoft?

Lysander

LysanderCastro, Oct 1, 2015
  4. SuzyThys Win User

Hi Alex,
    has this been solved yet? I have the same problem.
    Kind regards
    Suzy

SuzyThys, Oct 11, 2015
  5. Rolly13 Win User
    Have you used the configuration screen ? Use the PC settings- System - Standard apps. There you should be able to pick the right program

Rolly13, Oct 12, 2015
  6. Try Settings/ System/Default Apps scroll to the bottom/ Choose default application by protocol.

Mailto: in Browsers not working [​IMG]

Torquemada, Oct 12, 2015
  7. alex1002 Win User
    This is already selected! Set to outlook and still not working

alex1002, Nov 11, 2015
  8. Rolly13 Win User

Instead of default application by protocol, select Default application by app. Choose your app and Click the first option. Check and if it is still not OK choose the second option.

Rolly13, Nov 12, 2015
  9. alex1002 Win User
    I did what you mentioned and still same problem!

alex1002, Nov 12, 2015
  10. Rolly13 Win User
    Je kan je standaard programmas wijzigen in PC Instellingen van Windows 10 maar ook in het configuratiescherm Standaardprogrammas. Misschien daar ook eens de mogelijkheden proberen.

Rolly13, Nov 13, 2015
  11. MamaBear Win User
    Hi people. Here we are in August 2016 and I just upgraded to Windows 10 a few weeks ago and am having the same problem. No matter what I try, mailto links won't work now to Pegasus Mail, from any browser. And yes, I've tried the system settings and they are set to the Pegasus Mail Sendto exe file. But I get an error when clicking any email sendto link from any browser.

MamaBear, Aug 8, 2016
  12. I posted this into new thread last week - no response as yet!

I guess Microsoft just doesn't care about this issue as indeed it's now August 2016 and the first post to this thread was back in October 2015.

My post reads

This application's email address URL's work with every other operating system our users have - including earlier versions of Windows - but NOT 10.

I've seen other posts about this going back to June/July 2015 - how come it still seems to be happening over 12 months later?

haconnor46, Aug 8, 2016
  13. prikker Win User

There is another way, but only for Firefox and only if you use webmail: outlook.com:
    Try this:

Go to "about:config", and put the value "gecko.handlerService.allowRegisterFromDifferentHost" to true.

Then in the menu choose option "Developer" and click on "Scratchpad".

Paste the following text in the editor:
    javascript:navigator.registerProtocolHandler('mailto','Outlook.com - Microsoft free personal email Mail');
    and click on "Run".

Now go to "Options", "Applications", tab content type "mailto" and select the option "Use Live Mail"

prikker, Aug 8, 2016
  14. I use Chrome and Gmail.

Why won't Microsoft fix this issue - you'd think it would be quite simple considering it's worked forever with Windows until they broke it in Windows 10!

Sheesh!!!

haconnor46, Aug 8, 2016
  15. MamaBear Win User
    They may be getting hassled about it now, and may fix it?

MamaBear, Aug 8, 2016
Thema:

1. Mailto: in Browsers not working - Similar Threads - Mailto Browsers working

2. Windows 11 Pro update default mailto is not working,

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 Pro update default mailto is not working,: I have an issue setting the default mail app on both my work and home laptops, in both cases I installed outlook first then a second mail app. Notes for an old archive on my work WS and Thunderbird for home. After installing these became the default mail apps so when I right...
  3. Windows 11 Pro update default mailto is not working,

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 Pro update default mailto is not working,: I have an issue setting the default mail app on both my work and home laptops, in both cases I installed outlook first then a second mail app. Notes for an old archive on my work WS and Thunderbird for home. After installing these became the default mail apps so when I right...
  4. question about mailto links on websites

in Browsers and Email
    question about mailto links on websites: When I click on a mailto link on a website it opens my default mail client which is Outlook but the from address is a email address I won't have in 2 weeks how do to change that in windows 10. not the client but the default from email address that is already selected when I...
  5. browser is not working

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    browser is not working: each time I try to search something I keep on getting an error message. I have full internet access and have repeatedly tried restarting my laptop. Any advice? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/browser-is-not-working/f736f048-5c00-400c-8b06-afa25f636f94
  6. Browsers not working

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Browsers not working: Google Chrome was moving ridiculously slow. So I wiped cache, etc... to no avail. It continued moving unbearably slow. While on my laptop, it was as snappy as ever. I uninstalled it, then tried to use Microsoft Edge to try and re-download the latest version. Except... Now...
  7. MAILTO Does not Work On Windows 10 Desktop.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    MAILTO Does not Work On Windows 10 Desktop.: Have tried installing several mail clients including Thunderbird and emClient and made all the proper settings in default programs and/or set by protocol to no avail. In IE 11 The File, Send , page by email , link by email were both greyed out. Then saw there was a free trial...
  8. mailto not opening new message

in Browsers and Email
    mailto not opening new message: My mums computer is running Windows 10, and she uses web based hotmail for her email. She likes to email me articles from news websites, so i set up the default mail to open hotmail and compose a new message when she clicks the email link. This worked in both Opera and...
  9. Set Mailto default to Gmail in Chrome

in Browsers and Email
    Set Mailto default to Gmail in Chrome: I've googled and searched tenforums and found descriptions of how to do this but nothing seems to work. I have added the mailto Handler in Chrome settings and it shows mail.google.com. I have set the Mail default app to Chrome. I have set the default Mailto protocol...
  10. Mailto Links

in Browsers and Email
    Mailto Links: Win 10 Ms Edge (and Chrome) How do I make mailto links in websites point to Gmail? Currently every time I click a mailto it gives a choice of Gmail or Outlook. I wish it default to Gmail, and if possible not the app but the program. 20308