Windows 10: Mailto: in Browsers not working

Discus and support Mailto: in Browsers not working in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; I'd like to think so but I'm not hopeful as there doesn't seem to have been any input from a Microsoft employee on this thread. Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by alex1002, Oct 1, 2015.

1. Mailto: in Browsers not working

I'd like to think so but I'm not hopeful as there doesn't seem to have been any input from a Microsoft employee on this thread.

haconnor46, Aug 8, 2016
  2. MamaBear Win User

How can they get feedback? I mean, Windows 10 has been out for over a year now. Microsoft is not known for listening to their customers.

MamaBear, Aug 8, 2016
  3. Everyone that has contributed to this thread is a Junior Member.

Seems to reflect something odd - why aren't more experienced - longer time users on this thread or indeed complaining about this issue!

haconnor46, Aug 8, 2016
  4. N112PZ Win User

Mailto: in Browsers not working

I am having the same email issue with Windows 10.

N112PZ, Sep 16, 2016
  5. MamaBear Win User
    Coincidence does not prove causality

( for some reason, this reply editor is putting text at the end of lines, unto the line above it, instead of wrapping into the next )

MamaBear, Sep 16, 2016
  6. Bree New Member
    Probably they don't see it as an issue. Their experience tells them that not all the settings can be reached through the Settings app. Some of them can still only be found in Control Panel. Apparently this is where you have to go to set the MAILTO protocol....

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/w...60d29dd?auth=1

7. MamaBear Win User
    I already accessed and set those settings, and it still won't work from any browser.

MamaBear, Sep 16, 2016
  8. Berton Win User

I see the same thing now and then, thought it was just me. It even will do it in the middle of a line.

Berton, Sep 16, 2016
  9. dalchina New Member
    That does sometimes happen... there are a couple of formatting quirks- like adding text after you've a URL shown in your post - e.g. when editing it, or changing back from italics or bold e.g.

You know about the protocol setting in the control panel; you can also try this if it's not been mentioned for your particular email client:

Mailto: in Browsers not working [​IMG]

dalchina, Sep 18, 2016
  10. Berton Win User
    It just dawned on me that it happens when using Reply With Quote.

Berton, Sep 18, 2016
  11. dalchina New Member
    - works fine for me with Firefox.. to start with. But sometimes what you describe happens when typing and modifying a reply - but I've never quite noticed what causes it.

dalchina, Sep 18, 2016
  12. MamaBear Win User
    Thread has gone off on a tangent... *Tongue

MamaBear, Sep 18, 2016
  13. caseym54 Win User

The seem to have "fixed" this in the Anniversary release by locking the MAILTO protocol down to MAIL. No other choices.

caseym54, Sep 21, 2016
  14. Bree New Member
    Does this help? This bit looks promising...

http://superuser.com/questions/97246...ram-not-listed

15. MamaBear Win User
    MamaBear, Sep 22, 2016
Thema:

1. Mailto: in Browsers not working - Similar Threads - Mailto Browsers working

2. Windows 11 Pro update default mailto is not working,

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 Pro update default mailto is not working,: I have an issue setting the default mail app on both my work and home laptops, in both cases I installed outlook first then a second mail app. Notes for an old archive on my work WS and Thunderbird for home. After installing these became the default mail apps so when I right...
  3. Windows 11 Pro update default mailto is not working,

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 Pro update default mailto is not working,: I have an issue setting the default mail app on both my work and home laptops, in both cases I installed outlook first then a second mail app. Notes for an old archive on my work WS and Thunderbird for home. After installing these became the default mail apps so when I right...
  4. question about mailto links on websites

in Browsers and Email
    question about mailto links on websites: When I click on a mailto link on a website it opens my default mail client which is Outlook but the from address is a email address I won't have in 2 weeks how do to change that in windows 10. not the client but the default from email address that is already selected when I...
  5. browser is not working

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    browser is not working: each time I try to search something I keep on getting an error message. I have full internet access and have repeatedly tried restarting my laptop. Any advice? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/browser-is-not-working/f736f048-5c00-400c-8b06-afa25f636f94
  6. Browsers not working

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Browsers not working: Google Chrome was moving ridiculously slow. So I wiped cache, etc... to no avail. It continued moving unbearably slow. While on my laptop, it was as snappy as ever. I uninstalled it, then tried to use Microsoft Edge to try and re-download the latest version. Except... Now...
  7. MAILTO Does not Work On Windows 10 Desktop.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    MAILTO Does not Work On Windows 10 Desktop.: Have tried installing several mail clients including Thunderbird and emClient and made all the proper settings in default programs and/or set by protocol to no avail. In IE 11 The File, Send , page by email , link by email were both greyed out. Then saw there was a free trial...
  8. mailto not opening new message

in Browsers and Email
    mailto not opening new message: My mums computer is running Windows 10, and she uses web based hotmail for her email. She likes to email me articles from news websites, so i set up the default mail to open hotmail and compose a new message when she clicks the email link. This worked in both Opera and...
  9. Set Mailto default to Gmail in Chrome

in Browsers and Email
    Set Mailto default to Gmail in Chrome: I've googled and searched tenforums and found descriptions of how to do this but nothing seems to work. I have added the mailto Handler in Chrome settings and it shows mail.google.com. I have set the Mail default app to Chrome. I have set the default Mailto protocol...
  10. Mailto Links

in Browsers and Email
    Mailto Links: Win 10 Ms Edge (and Chrome) How do I make mailto links in websites point to Gmail? Currently every time I click a mailto it gives a choice of Gmail or Outlook. I wish it default to Gmail, and if possible not the app but the program. 20308