Windows 10: Mailto: in Browsers not working

Discus and support Mailto: in Browsers not working in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; I don't use that browser. Not sure why it would help. It helps because it shows the methods needed to make your browser available in the MAILTO... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by alex1002, Oct 1, 2015.

1. Bree New Member

Mailto: in Browsers not working

It helps because it shows the methods needed to make your browser available in the MAILTO protocol - even with the Anniversary Update 1607, thus...

Mailto: in Browsers not working [​IMG]

In the case of Firefox, a new String named mailto should be added to the key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Clients\StartMenuInternet\FIREFOX.EXE\Capabilities\URLAssociations with the value FirefoxURL (the same value as all the existing strings there). In addition, Firefox itself need to be configured to handle a mailto: by opening your chosen webmail service (or whatever else you use). For Firefox the relevant setting are found by putting...
    ...in the address bar - it should be straight forward adapting these instructions for another browser.

2. MamaBear Win User

I'm not clear on whether I'd have to change the registry for every browser I use. I use Seamonkey almost all the time, and Firefox rarely and almost never anything else.

I tried that default apps mail protocol setting already, to no avail.

MamaBear, Sep 22, 2016
  3. Bree New Member
    No, you should only need to change it for the browser you want to use for composing your email when you hit a 'mailto:' My Firefox already knew what to do with a 'mailto:' I just added that one registry entry, selected Firefox in 'choose applications by protocol' and tested it worked with Win+R to run...

4. MamaBear Win User

I guess I'm confused about what you're saying.

MamaBear, Sep 22, 2016
  5. Bree New Member
    OK, let's walk through this.

What you want is your favourite browser to open, connect to your email service and compose a new mail when you click a 'mailto' anywhere you see one.

To achieve this you need to set up three things:

1. Your browser needs to know which mail service to use. You do this in the browser's own settings See your browsers 'help' for details.

2. Windows need to know that your browser is capable of handling a 'mailto'. The registry item named 'mailto' for that particular browser in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Clients\StartMenuInternet\<browser_name>\Capabilities\URLAssociations is what tells windows this.

3. When 1. and 2. are in place your browser will appear in the list of choices in 'Choose default applications by protocol'. If you choose it, then your browser will launch a 'compose' page whenever you click on a 'mailto'.

6. dalchina New Member
    Hi MamaBear: would you please
    a. Post a screenshot like this:

b. Tell us which mail client you are using

Thanks!

dalchina, Sep 22, 2016
  7. MamaBear Win User
    OK, I went into regedit and looked up the registry path for [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Clients\StartMenuInternet\Google Chrome\Capabilities\URLAssociations] and there are no mailto keys in there for any of my browsers. So apparently changing the main Windows default email program settings didn't change that. I'm just not sure how to correctly add it now, being you put ... in there. My email program is Pegasus Mail.

MamaBear, Sep 22, 2016
  8. dalchina New Member

Please post the screenshot as per #34. Thanks!

dalchina, Sep 22, 2016
  9. MamaBear Win User
    Ok, here are two screen shots.

MamaBear, Sep 22, 2016
  10. Bree New Member
    My apologies, I hadn't noticed that you'd mention Pegasus Mail earlier in this thread. My instructions were aimed at using a web mail service like gMail or Yahoo! No wonder you were confused. I don't use Pegasus, so I'll leave it there, except to ask:

What version is your Pegasus mail? The release notes state that it was not until v4.52 that...
    http://community.pmail.com/pmail/Peg...easeNotes.aspx

Do please post the screenshots as dalchina asks, it will help a lot. If you need help with that:

Tutorial https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/6...dows-10-a.html
    Post images FAQ Windows 10 Help Forums FAQ

11. dalchina New Member
    Hi, ok, here is exactly how to open the control panel to the view I showed you above- that's the screenshot I'd like please.

1. Press Windows key + X, click Control Panel
    2. In the search box top right of the window that opens, type
    associa
    3. Click 'Make a file type always...' bottom left
    4. Scroll down to near the bottom until Mailto is visible.
    5. Please post a screenshot of that window.

It should look similar to mine in #34

Thanks!

dalchina, Sep 22, 2016
  12. MamaBear Win User
    I keep Pegasus updated. 4.72....

MamaBear, Sep 22, 2016
  13. MamaBear Win User

Ohhh, kay... *Smile I've been all these routes before, but...

MamaBear, Sep 22, 2016
  14. dalchina New Member
    Thanks. Now let's try an experiment. I notice you have Thunderbird installed.

Please try changing mailto to Thunderbird.

dalchina, Sep 22, 2016
  15. MamaBear Win User
    I actually tried that already. I have Thunderbird installed and switched to it as the default and that was the only email program that mailto from ALL my installed browsers would use correctly. None of my installed browsers ( and I have several installed because I test my own business website on them ) will use a mailto link properly SINCE I installed Windows 10, with the exception of when Thunderbird is made the default mail program. So it seems to be a problem with Windows 10's system stuff but no one seems to be able to figure out how or where.

Frankly guys, I'm so fed up with this, and several other problems with Windows 10, that I'm about to have to buy a newer PC with Windows 8.1 and move everything over to it and delete this mess of an OS, and wait 3-5 years until Microsoft gets their act together.

MamaBear, Sep 22, 2016
Thema:

1. Mailto: in Browsers not working - Similar Threads - Mailto Browsers working

2. Windows 11 Pro update default mailto is not working,

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 Pro update default mailto is not working,: I have an issue setting the default mail app on both my work and home laptops, in both cases I installed outlook first then a second mail app. Notes for an old archive on my work WS and Thunderbird for home. After installing these became the default mail apps so when I right...
  3. Windows 11 Pro update default mailto is not working,

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 Pro update default mailto is not working,: I have an issue setting the default mail app on both my work and home laptops, in both cases I installed outlook first then a second mail app. Notes for an old archive on my work WS and Thunderbird for home. After installing these became the default mail apps so when I right...
  4. question about mailto links on websites

in Browsers and Email
    question about mailto links on websites: When I click on a mailto link on a website it opens my default mail client which is Outlook but the from address is a email address I won't have in 2 weeks how do to change that in windows 10. not the client but the default from email address that is already selected when I...
  5. browser is not working

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    browser is not working: each time I try to search something I keep on getting an error message. I have full internet access and have repeatedly tried restarting my laptop. Any advice? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/browser-is-not-working/f736f048-5c00-400c-8b06-afa25f636f94
  6. Browsers not working

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Browsers not working: Google Chrome was moving ridiculously slow. So I wiped cache, etc... to no avail. It continued moving unbearably slow. While on my laptop, it was as snappy as ever. I uninstalled it, then tried to use Microsoft Edge to try and re-download the latest version. Except... Now...
  7. MAILTO Does not Work On Windows 10 Desktop.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    MAILTO Does not Work On Windows 10 Desktop.: Have tried installing several mail clients including Thunderbird and emClient and made all the proper settings in default programs and/or set by protocol to no avail. In IE 11 The File, Send , page by email , link by email were both greyed out. Then saw there was a free trial...
  8. mailto not opening new message

in Browsers and Email
    mailto not opening new message: My mums computer is running Windows 10, and she uses web based hotmail for her email. She likes to email me articles from news websites, so i set up the default mail to open hotmail and compose a new message when she clicks the email link. This worked in both Opera and...
  9. Set Mailto default to Gmail in Chrome

in Browsers and Email
    Set Mailto default to Gmail in Chrome: I've googled and searched tenforums and found descriptions of how to do this but nothing seems to work. I have added the mailto Handler in Chrome settings and it shows mail.google.com. I have set the Mail default app to Chrome. I have set the default Mailto protocol...
  10. Mailto Links

in Browsers and Email
    Mailto Links: Win 10 Ms Edge (and Chrome) How do I make mailto links in websites point to Gmail? Currently every time I click a mailto it gives a choice of Gmail or Outlook. I wish it default to Gmail, and if possible not the app but the program. 20308