Windows 10: Mailto: in Browsers not working

Discus and support Mailto: in Browsers not working in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; Hi, I have installed Pegasus mail, and during the installation, accepted the option to set it as the default mailto client. I also set it as the... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by alex1002, Oct 1, 2015.

1. dalchina New Member

Mailto: in Browsers not working

Hi, I have installed Pegasus mail, and during the installation, accepted the option to set it as the default mailto client.
    I also set it as the default from an Open with prompt.

I can confirm that clicking on email links opens Pegasus, and that the mailto entry as per my screenshot shows Pegasus.

I installed Pegasus at a custom location (in the same folder as Thunderbird's installation folder).

So there appears to be no fundamental conflict with Win 10.

This might suggest some other issue with yours which is affecting mailto. You mentioned you have noticed some other problems- could you list them or suggest any that could possibly be related?

dalchina, Sep 22, 2016
  2. Kbird Win User

It is a bit Strange but mine 1/2 works

Edge .................opens WLM as it should as my default Mail App

IE 11 .................opens WLM as it should as my default Mail App

Brave ................. Being Chrome/Mozilla based opens my gmail account on the Web instead

Chrome ............. says it can't open the mail App as WLDCore.dll is missing and to reinstall the Program (works fine)

I was testing using the link here Email links - Web developer guides | MDN

Mailto: in Browsers not working [​IMG]

KB

Kbird, Sep 22, 2016
  3. MamaBear Win User
    That's novel. I installed it in its own folder, but it's been installed for years and this was a Windows 7 system until the Windows 10 "upgrade" in July. Don't know what yours was.

On your PC anyway. I'm also running an AMD CPU. Not sure if that enters into it. If Windows 10 only likes Intel, for example.

Well I've even heard that Windows 10 even has problems with hard drives that aren't brand new and MADE for it!

I had one event where there was a black screen and I couldn't get the PC to come alive again. Finally had to shut off the UPS power, and THEN it wouldn't boot, saying something about a boot sector failure! I freaked! Finally had to do a Safe boot and it fixed it and got it working again! It MAY have been doing the stupid updates without permission AND going to a black screen while doing them, so we don't even KNOW they're being done! WTF Microsoft!

Then I had a BSOD the other day. Unresponsive PC. Had to hit the power button to restart!

This OS just seems like sh@t.

I understand that 8.1 is a nice stable one now. So I had to buy my sister a refurbed PC, to get her back to 8.1 now and get rid of 10.

That "free upgrade" is costing us a LOT and threatening my home based business and entire computing life since 1992, which is on this machine. Thanks Microsoft! *Mad

Now I just got another message saying that it needs to schedule another reboot for an update. DREAD! *Sick

I'm feeling like this is The OS From Hell.

MamaBear, Sep 23, 2016
  4. Kbird Win User

Both my older Machines got updated to AU yesterday finally , so perhaps that is what is waiting .....it it says it is a Feature Update it is....

Do a full Drive Image with Macrium 1st so you can Rollback if needed , I had to try again after uninstalling Avast, and it saved alot of hassle.

KB

Kbird, Sep 23, 2016
  5. MamaBear Win User
    How do I tell? I've been updating each time. Oh, I have a 64 bit PC and OS.

MamaBear, Sep 23, 2016
  6. Kbird Win User
    See above again I editted ...about Macrium.... saved me after 4hrs of looping dots....

I don't allow Major Updates to 10 now without a Full Image just in case.

In Settings>Update+Sec.>Win.Update , it tells you what is waiting for the scheduled Restart.

1607 Feature Update is AU

Kbird, Sep 23, 2016
  7. MamaBear Win User
    Thanks. Mine says: Feature update to Windows 10, version 1607.

MamaBear, Sep 23, 2016
  8. MamaBear Win User

Oh, one of the reasons we had to replace Jennifer's PC now, with Windows 10, was that her USB wifi adapter ( home wifi ) doesn't have a driver update for Windows 10 and Windows 10 keeps balking at updates because it cant find one.

The refurb PC I just bought her has wifi built in.

MamaBear, Sep 23, 2016
  9. dalchina New Member
    Returning to mailto - here are my tests using Kbird's suggested site
    Email links - Web developer guides | MDN
    Each time I changed client I used the Control Panel simply to change mailto- no log off/restart needed.

Each case succeeded.
    IE Firefox Edge Pegasus y y y Thunderbird y y y Mail y y y
    Mamabear:
    Mine was a clean install- a new laptop- (can't get 'cleaner' than that I guess!).

Noted yours was a Win 7 upgrade. Possible cause of some difference?
    If I've understood your comments, it seems you are just updating to the anniversary upgrade. See how it behaves after that.

And given what you mentioned about possible disk corruption, please do this:
    From an admin command prompt
    [Windows key + X, click command prompt (admin)]
    chkdsk C: /F
    Your PC will need to restart.
    Make sure the result is clear or fixed- else do not proceed.
    Post back the result, which you can get after a restart as follows:
    How do I see the results of a CHKDSK that ran on boot? - Ask Leo!

Kbird- interesting observation on Brave and Chrome.

dalchina, Sep 23, 2016
  10. MamaBear Win User
    Oh, and I forgot to mention that after this Windows 10 "upgrade", and after I do updates, I often get "new cpu installed" BIOS messages, when it boots, and have to boot with defaults, then it starts in low res, scrambles my desktop icons and puts things in the bottom tray that I'd removed, then switches to full HD again after all that's done. This Windows 10 is amazing. I've never seen an OS that could do this, before.

MamaBear, Sep 23, 2016
  11. dalchina New Member
    Ok, so the mailto issue is actually trivial...

See how things are after the AU upgrade; if your problems remain, I suggest you
    a. create a new user for test purposes and report what problems you have
    b. if you still have problems with a new user, clean install.

dalchina, Sep 23, 2016
  12. MamaBear Win User
    Clean install what? The OS? No way. Like I said, I'll have to buy a refurbed PC and transfer everything to it.

MamaBear, Sep 23, 2016
  13. Kbird Win User

Yes best to start another thread if you have Hardware Issues ......my 2nd machine that got AU yest. is a Netbook and M$ also decided it needed new Graphics Drivers for the Intergrated GPU at the same time , which were all wrong and everything has a light Blue "colour cast" , so back to the older driver I had with full Intel support.

KB

Kbird, Sep 23, 2016
  14. caseym54 Win User
    Well, I'd actually like it to go to winmail.exe (Vista Windows Mail (pre-"Live")) like it used to before the Anniversary Update closed that off.

caseym54, Sep 23, 2016
  15. For Chrome users, this is the solution that worked for me:

Here is the solution :

• Go to Gmail.
    • In the URL bar of same tab, right side you'll find a double rhombus icon.
    • Click on it. Make it allow.
    • You're ready to use mailto in Chromium (web browser) / Chrome.

ChulaChula, Jan 11, 2017
Thema:

1. Mailto: in Browsers not working - Similar Threads - Mailto Browsers working

2. Windows 11 Pro update default mailto is not working,

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 Pro update default mailto is not working,: I have an issue setting the default mail app on both my work and home laptops, in both cases I installed outlook first then a second mail app. Notes for an old archive on my work WS and Thunderbird for home. After installing these became the default mail apps so when I right...
  3. Windows 11 Pro update default mailto is not working,

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 Pro update default mailto is not working,: I have an issue setting the default mail app on both my work and home laptops, in both cases I installed outlook first then a second mail app. Notes for an old archive on my work WS and Thunderbird for home. After installing these became the default mail apps so when I right...
  4. question about mailto links on websites

in Browsers and Email
    question about mailto links on websites: When I click on a mailto link on a website it opens my default mail client which is Outlook but the from address is a email address I won't have in 2 weeks how do to change that in windows 10. not the client but the default from email address that is already selected when I...
  5. browser is not working

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    browser is not working: each time I try to search something I keep on getting an error message. I have full internet access and have repeatedly tried restarting my laptop. Any advice? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/browser-is-not-working/f736f048-5c00-400c-8b06-afa25f636f94
  6. Browsers not working

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Browsers not working: Google Chrome was moving ridiculously slow. So I wiped cache, etc... to no avail. It continued moving unbearably slow. While on my laptop, it was as snappy as ever. I uninstalled it, then tried to use Microsoft Edge to try and re-download the latest version. Except... Now...
  7. MAILTO Does not Work On Windows 10 Desktop.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    MAILTO Does not Work On Windows 10 Desktop.: Have tried installing several mail clients including Thunderbird and emClient and made all the proper settings in default programs and/or set by protocol to no avail. In IE 11 The File, Send , page by email , link by email were both greyed out. Then saw there was a free trial...
  8. mailto not opening new message

in Browsers and Email
    mailto not opening new message: My mums computer is running Windows 10, and she uses web based hotmail for her email. She likes to email me articles from news websites, so i set up the default mail to open hotmail and compose a new message when she clicks the email link. This worked in both Opera and...
  9. Set Mailto default to Gmail in Chrome

in Browsers and Email
    Set Mailto default to Gmail in Chrome: I've googled and searched tenforums and found descriptions of how to do this but nothing seems to work. I have added the mailto Handler in Chrome settings and it shows mail.google.com. I have set the Mail default app to Chrome. I have set the default Mailto protocol...
  10. Mailto Links

in Browsers and Email
    Mailto Links: Win 10 Ms Edge (and Chrome) How do I make mailto links in websites point to Gmail? Currently every time I click a mailto it gives a choice of Gmail or Outlook. I wish it default to Gmail, and if possible not the app but the program. 20308