Windows 10: Mailto: in Browsers not working

Discus and support Mailto: in Browsers not working in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; Windows Live Mail (formerly named Windows Live Mail Desktop, code-named Elroy[2]) is a discontinued freeware email client from Microsoft. You would... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by alex1002, Oct 1, 2015.

1. dalchina New Member

Mailto: in Browsers not working

You would only have this program on your PC if you installed it.

Firefox is a browser. Yahoo is an email service. You can access yahoo via your browser or an email client if you have one installed.

dalchina, Jan 9, 2018
  2. Bree New Member

No, if you ever installed Windows Essentials (as I once had) you'd have had Windows Live Mail added to the list of available mail apps.

I have my Firefox set up in its 'aboutMailto: in Browsers not working :preferences' to open the Yahoo Mail webmail page and compose an email if I click on a mailto link in any page I'm browsing in Firefox. That's an entirely standard feature of Firefox and well documented by Mozilla. You could equally we set Firefox up to use an email client app like Mail or Thunderbird.

What I have shown in post #29 is the registry key needed to make Firefox appear in the list of available Mail Clients, allowing me to set my Firefox/Yahoo webmail as the default for a mailto link anywhere else in Windows, a mailto link in Edge, in a pdf, a Word document, or anything else. I can even open it from the WinKey+R run box by typing something like....
    mailto:a_name@some.random.email.address

3. Kbird Win User
    I guess I wasn't clear you were suppose to choose whatever is your default Mail Program and set Mailto: protocol to it.

However Yahoo is NOT a Program , just a WEB based Mail Service which you need a Browser to use , for example FireFox . FireFox (Mozilla) also make Thunderbird Email which is good too and it will also use Yahoo and set it up for you once you input you email address and password.

In Firefox all you should need to do is set Yahoo to be the Mail Handler as shown in other posts on the FireFox Options Tab. ( see the 3 Bars Top right hand corner (1) ..some also call it the "hamburger icon") choose options,scroll down to Applications and in the content type window choose mailto (2) and then in the action area for mailto ,(3) click the down arrow and choose Yahoo Mail (purple icon) (4) and close the options page. hopefully the pic makes it clear.....

Attachment 171850

Kbird, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Mailto: in Browsers not working

1. Mailto: in Browsers not working - Similar Threads - Mailto Browsers working

2. Windows 11 Pro update default mailto is not working,

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 Pro update default mailto is not working,: I have an issue setting the default mail app on both my work and home laptops, in both cases I installed outlook first then a second mail app. Notes for an old archive on my work WS and Thunderbird for home. After installing these became the default mail apps so when I right...
  3. Windows 11 Pro update default mailto is not working,

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 Pro update default mailto is not working,: I have an issue setting the default mail app on both my work and home laptops, in both cases I installed outlook first then a second mail app. Notes for an old archive on my work WS and Thunderbird for home. After installing these became the default mail apps so when I right...
  4. question about mailto links on websites

in Browsers and Email
    question about mailto links on websites: When I click on a mailto link on a website it opens my default mail client which is Outlook but the from address is a email address I won't have in 2 weeks how do to change that in windows 10. not the client but the default from email address that is already selected when I...
  5. browser is not working

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    browser is not working: each time I try to search something I keep on getting an error message. I have full internet access and have repeatedly tried restarting my laptop. Any advice? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/browser-is-not-working/f736f048-5c00-400c-8b06-afa25f636f94
  6. Browsers not working

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Browsers not working: Google Chrome was moving ridiculously slow. So I wiped cache, etc... to no avail. It continued moving unbearably slow. While on my laptop, it was as snappy as ever. I uninstalled it, then tried to use Microsoft Edge to try and re-download the latest version. Except... Now...
  7. MAILTO Does not Work On Windows 10 Desktop.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    MAILTO Does not Work On Windows 10 Desktop.: Have tried installing several mail clients including Thunderbird and emClient and made all the proper settings in default programs and/or set by protocol to no avail. In IE 11 The File, Send , page by email , link by email were both greyed out. Then saw there was a free trial...
  8. mailto not opening new message

in Browsers and Email
    mailto not opening new message: My mums computer is running Windows 10, and she uses web based hotmail for her email. She likes to email me articles from news websites, so i set up the default mail to open hotmail and compose a new message when she clicks the email link. This worked in both Opera and...
  9. Set Mailto default to Gmail in Chrome

in Browsers and Email
    Set Mailto default to Gmail in Chrome: I've googled and searched tenforums and found descriptions of how to do this but nothing seems to work. I have added the mailto Handler in Chrome settings and it shows mail.google.com. I have set the Mail default app to Chrome. I have set the default Mailto protocol...
  10. Mailto Links

in Browsers and Email
    Mailto Links: Win 10 Ms Edge (and Chrome) How do I make mailto links in websites point to Gmail? Currently every time I click a mailto it gives a choice of Gmail or Outlook. I wish it default to Gmail, and if possible not the app but the program. 20308

Users found this page by searching for:

1. mailto not working in edge pdf