Windows 10: mailto not opening new message

Discus and support mailto not opening new message in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; My mums computer is running Windows 10, and she uses web based hotmail for her email. She likes to email me articles from news websites, so i set up... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by nezzie, Apr 15, 2018.

1. nezzie Win User

mailto not opening new message

My mums computer is running Windows 10, and she uses web based hotmail for her email. She likes to email me articles from news websites, so i set up the default mail to open hotmail and compose a new message when she clicks the email link. This worked in both Opera and Firefox. A Windows Update approx 6 months ago rendered this feature useless. A further update seemed to get it working again, and about a month ago an update rendered it useless again. So when you click the mailto link on a webpage it opens hotmail but thats as far as it goes - to the inbox, instead of opening a new message and placing the link to the article there ready to go. I cannot find a work around and my mother is driving me nuts as she is not savvy enough to copy and paste (despite me teaching her!!)

Many Thanks

:)

nezzie, Apr 15, 2018
  2. Brian F71 Win User

getting error message: "ms-windows-store:Assoc?protocol=mailto" HELP!

I am getting error message: "ms-windows-store:Assoc?protocol=mailto" HELP! I can't open the store app.

Brian F71, Apr 15, 2018
  3. DaveM121 Win User
    Error message

OK, I think you are clicking on a Email link and if you do not have a mail client like MS Outlook installed, Windows does not know how to open a mailto link. Most users nowadays open email in their Web browser but this is not the same as having a mail client
    installed . . .

Each browser handles mailto links differently, your best option is to google your browser name and the mailto handler

For example 'how to set mailto handler in Chrome'

DaveM121, Apr 15, 2018
Thema:

mailto not opening new message

1. mailto not opening new message - Similar Threads - mailto opening message

2. How do I remove any app from opening mailto links?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I remove any app from opening mailto links?: Hello,I'm just trying to disable the mailto function on my computer, all the solution I tried online didn't work. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-remove-any-app-from-opening-mailto-links/bac35817-26b5-4add-ad49-e2de9f89ab5a
  3. mailto is not opening windows native mail application in google chrome.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    mailto is not opening windows native mail application in google chrome.: I am trying to redirect the mailto protocol from Google Chrome to the native Windows 11 mail application. The request keeps getting ignored; the mailto protocol does not redirect anything from inside Google Chrome. If I change the handler in chrome to a website Gmail.com it...
  4. mailto is not opening windows native mail application in google chrome.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    mailto is not opening windows native mail application in google chrome.: I am trying to redirect the mailto protocol from Google Chrome to the native Windows 11 mail application. The request keeps getting ignored; the mailto protocol does not redirect anything from inside Google Chrome. If I change the handler in chrome to a website Gmail.com it...
  5. question about mailto links on websites

in Browsers and Email
    question about mailto links on websites: When I click on a mailto link on a website it opens my default mail client which is Outlook but the from address is a email address I won't have in 2 weeks how do to change that in windows 10. not the client but the default from email address that is already selected when I...
  6. You'll need a new app message for opening files.

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    You'll need a new app message for opening files.: You'll need a new app to open this ms-wpc -link" when try to open same files <Original Title: quation has been changed for clarity purposes.>Y...
  7. Mail - can messages be automatically opened in a new window?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Mail - can messages be automatically opened in a new window?: I'm using Windows Mail (the envelope icon) that comes standard with Windows 10 (not the browser based program). When reading mail messages in the Inbox, I'd like to click or double-click on the message and have the message automatically open up in a new window instead of in...
  8. Set Mailto default to Gmail in Chrome

in Browsers and Email
    Set Mailto default to Gmail in Chrome: I've googled and searched tenforums and found descriptions of how to do this but nothing seems to work. I have added the mailto Handler in Chrome settings and it shows mail.google.com. I have set the Mail default app to Chrome. I have set the default Mailto protocol...
  9. Mailto: in Browsers not working

in Browsers and Email
    Mailto: in Browsers not working: Good Day, I have recently upgrade to windows 10 and the mailto: links dont work anymore. Running outlook 2013. When I go to a webpage with a clickable email it no longer opens outlook new message. I tried to check the default programs, made sure that outlook is the default...
  10. Mailto Links

in Browsers and Email
    Mailto Links: Win 10 Ms Edge (and Chrome) How do I make mailto links in websites point to Gmail? Currently every time I click a mailto it gives a choice of Gmail or Outlook. I wish it default to Gmail, and if possible not the app but the program. 20308

Users found this page by searching for:

1. ms-windows-store:Assoc?protocol=mailto

2. open mailto in new window

3. mailto not opening new message window