Windows 10: Main computer discovered on Public but not Private Profile

Discus and support Main computer discovered on Public but not Private Profile in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi, I am running Windows 10 on two home computers. I have them networked together via ethernet cable to my ATT modem/router. If I make my Ethernet... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Zaffer, Oct 4, 2020.

1. Zaffer Win User

Main computer discovered on Public but not Private Profile

Hi,
    I am running Windows 10 on two home computers. I have them networked together via ethernet cable to my ATT modem/router. If I make my Ethernet profile Public, both computers One and Two are present/discovered, but if I change the setting to Private, only computer Two is present. I have File and Printer sharing enabled for both Public and Private Profiles in Advanced Network Sharing settings, and I have File and Printer Sharing as allowed apps in Windows Defender Firewall. I also have the following services set to Automatic: DNS Client, Function Discovery Resource Publication, SSDP Discovery and UPnP Device Host. If possible, I would like to get both computers present while in Private Profile, but if that is not possible, can someone tell me if it's OK to run my network in Public Profile. Would this be safe given two home computers connected with Ethernet cables to a modem/router? Thanks.

:)

Zaffer, Oct 4, 2020
  2. PatA& Win User

Changing wifi settings from public to private

I have seen the same question being asked with the same answer that apparently does not exist: I want to change my WiFi connection from public to private. The suggestion I keep seeing is:

1. On the right side of the taskbar, select the Wi-Fi network icon.
    2. Under the name of the Wi-Fi network that you’re connected to, select
      Properties
    3. Under Network profile, select Public or
      Private
    Well I am running WIndows Home version 1903 and there is no link called
    Network profile
    where I can select between Public or
    Private

PatA&, Oct 4, 2020
  3. Change Network Profile to Private From Public

Network Discovery and File and Printer sharing are already on for both the public and private profiles. Allow Windows to manage Homegroups is on for the private profile; it is not an option under public.

NancyMcFarland, Oct 4, 2020
  4. Main computer discovered on Public but not Private Profile

Change Network from Public to Private

Hi,

Thank you for your interest in Windows 10.

I suggest you to follow the steps below to
    change your network from Public to Private:

• Type PowerShell in Search Window and then right click on it and click on
      Run as Administrator.

• Type the following command to find your interface Index:
      Get-NetConnectionProfile

• Use your interface index (for example 5) with this command:
      Set-NetConnectionProfile -InterfaceIndex 5 -NetworkCategory Private

• Now reboot the device and check if the network has changed from Public to Private.
    Hope this information is helpful. Please do let us know if you need further assistance, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Giridhar J, Oct 4, 2020
Thema:

Main computer discovered on Public but not Private Profile

1. Main computer discovered on Public but not Private Profile - Similar Threads - Main computer discovered

2. Public or Private etc.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Public or Private etc.: May have asked before but security is key. If im on computer at home in a highly networked area,computer is personal use not work,,is it Public or private i have to make sure its on????. Network wise?.If it was on the wrong one,,,,, at some point could people get into my...
  3. Public or Private etc.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Public or Private etc.: May have asked before but security is key. If im on computer at home in a highly networked area,computer is personal use not work,,is it Public or private i have to make sure its on????. Network wise?.If it was on the wrong one,,,,, at some point could people get into my...
  4. Change the WSL network profile from public to private.

Change the WSL network profile from public to private.: using Windows insider build 22463Hi,I had a Problem with WSL a few days ago.I now figured out that the problem was that I had set the Windows firewall to block all connections incomming from a public network. Since this includes the WSL network, I wasnt able to do a DNS...
  5. Public or Private

Public or Private: I have a PC on my network connected via Ethernet, should I set the network profile to Public or Private? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/public-or-private/b5726991-3097-48a7-8942-a09107bd04d3
  6. unable to discover desktop computer on private network

unable to discover desktop computer on private network: I am unable to discover my desktop computer on private network. My desktop can access my laptop but not the otherway round. It used to be fully useable a few weeks ago....
  7. Should Network profile be set on Public or Private?

Should Network profile be set on Public or Private?: I'm on my home computer, should I have my Network profile set on Public or Private? I do not want any my computer being detected by any network. The explantion of what the settings are, are confusing. Public says, "Your PC is hidden from other devices on the network and...
  8. Cannot change network profile from Public to Private

Cannot change network profile from Public to Private: I have searched and seen numerous posts about the latest builds of Windows 10 removing the easy way to change your network profile from Public to Private, and vice versa. I have tried both the Powershell (Admin) method and the registry change method. With both, the changes do...
  9. Public to Private

Public to Private: Can't switch from public to private with 1083 build. Is there a solution? I've tried some from the internet, none worked. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-networking/public-to-private/19e102bf-9b7f-43d5-8d3b-affc260109c3
  10. Private or Public

Private or Public: I just noticed in Windows defender My network is listed as public. Does it matter if my network is listed as private or public. I found how to change it if I have to. I just want to know if it matters. I don't know if this has anything to do with it or not. In the network box...