Windows 10: Main monitor causing black screen on both my main monitor and secondary monitor

Discus and support Main monitor causing black screen on both my main monitor and secondary monitor in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; As the title says, my main monitor is connected via hdmi and the secondary via DVI. Have been using both monitors for years, was working fine up until... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by G-MoneyAF, Oct 6, 2020.

1. G-MoneyAF Win User

Main monitor causing black screen on both my main monitor and secondary monitor

As the title says, my main monitor is connected via hdmi and the secondary via DVI. Have been using both monitors for years, was working fine up until a few days ago. Computer would boot but neither neither screen came on, waited until my system auto logged on and tried windows + p to cycle monitors, ctrl + windows + shift + b, switching hdmi cables, disconnecting everything but the monitors, booting in safe mode, nothing worked. Desperately tried just having the secondary monitor plugged in and it works fine. So it seems that the main monitor is somehow the issue.

I can use the main monitor with other devices, using the same port, with no issues.

Any ideas on whats going on here?

:)

G-MoneyAF, Oct 6, 2020

2. Black screen when booting to secondary monitors

I have a Dell Inspiron 13 connected via a Kensington SD 4000 dock to two external monitors.

When I am in my office, the laptop is connected to the dock, and the lid is closed.

Everything works fine, EXCEPT when I restart (or just boot up)

On restart - the laptop boots, but the secondary monitors (both) get a black screen - I can see the mouse cursor but nothing else.

The quick "solution" is to open the laptop lid and close it again. This immediately brings the lock screen up to my secondary monitors and then everything is perfectly normal.

What I want to happen is no black screen, just boot up to my secondary monitors. This used to happen, but something changed and I can not figure out what.

What I have checked:

The display drivers are up to date. This is an Intel HD Graphics520

The docking station driver and firmware is up to date

The Power Saver plans are all set to DO NOTHING WHEN PLUGGED IN, and to normal power saver type settings when on battery.

Any ideas/suggestions would be appreciated! Thanks!

RichardSMiami, Oct 6, 2020
  3. Black screen on boot but only on secondary monitors

Brand new guy with a question:

I have a Dell Inspiron 13 connected via a Kensington SD 4000 dock to two external monitors.

When I am in my office, the laptop is connected to the dock, and the lid is closed.

Everything works fine, EXCEPT when I restart (or just boot up)

On restart - the laptop boots, but the secondary monitors (both) get a black screen - I can see the mouse cursor but nothing else.

The quick "solution" is to open the laptop lid and close it again. This immediately brings the lock screen up to my secondary monitors and then everything is perfectly normal.

What I want to happen is no black screen, just boot up to my secondary monitors. This used to happen, but something changed and I can not figure out what.

What I have checked:

The display drivers are up to date. This is an Intel HD Graphics520

The docking station driver and firmware is up to date

The Power Saver plans are all set to DO NOTHING WHEN PLUGGED IN, and to normal power saver type settings when on battery.

I have been on Win 10 for a while, and this problem is recent.

All updates are current.

Rolling back the display driver did not change anything. It is now back up to date.

Any ideas/suggestions would be appreciated! Thanks!

RichardMiami, Oct 6, 2020
  4. Kzamora13 Win User

Secondary monitor showing blank(black) screen after updating to 1709

I have a dual monitor setup that was previously working prior to updating to 1709. My main monitor is an ASUS VG248QE using display port. This monitor is working fine. My secondary monitor is an old NEC LCD 1920 NX monitor using DVI cable. Both are
    plugged into my GPU NVidia Geforce GTX 660.

Problem: My secondary monitor has a black screen while my main asus monitor is fine. The indicator light on the secondary monitor is green (indicating that signal is present). Also when going into display settings it shows that the monitor is detected and
    it has its recommended resolution settings. My computer thinks its on and working. Sometimes things get opened up on the other monitor, but I can see it bc all i see is a black/blank screen. This all occurred after updating to 1709 creaters update.

I already reinstalled my display drivers. I even tried restoring back to 1703 but the problem persisted. I then updated back to 1709 and problem still persisted.

Has anyone had similar problem and found solution ?

Kzamora13, Oct 6, 2020
Thema:

1. Main monitor causing black screen on both my main monitor and secondary monitor - Similar Threads - Main monitor causing

2. How to set my external monitor as the main monitor

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to set my external monitor as the main monitor: I have an MSI gaming laptop connected to an external 1440p monitor. The laptop has a 1080p monitor. Some of my games only want to run on the laptop monitor and I end up having to open the lid to get the game to display on the external monitor. When I do this, the game...
  3. How to set my external monitor as the main monitor

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to set my external monitor as the main monitor: I have an MSI gaming laptop connected to an external 1440p monitor. The laptop has a 1080p monitor. Some of my games only want to run on the laptop monitor and I end up having to open the lid to get the game to display on the external monitor. When I do this, the game...
  4. Main monitor goes black when plugging in 2nd monitor

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Main monitor goes black when plugging in 2nd monitor: Hello to whoever's reading thisI have a second screen that I use for both my desktop and my gaming console via an HDMI switch, but whenever I switch between the gaming console both from and to the desktop the main screen I use that is connected through DisplayPort turns black...
  5. Main monitor goes black when plugging in 2nd monitor

Main monitor goes black when plugging in 2nd monitor: Hello to whoever's reading thisI have a second screen that I use for both my desktop and my gaming console via an HDMI switch, but whenever I switch between the gaming console both from and to the desktop the main screen I use that is connected through DisplayPort turns black...
  6. Main monitor goes black when plugging in 2nd monitor

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  7. Black screen in games, when fullscrene on main monitor

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Black screen in games, when fullscrene on main monitor: on nearly every video game I have when it goes full screen, it goes black... • runs fine on window mode and on second monitor... • started when I updated drivers• if I move my mouse off the 1st monitor, the screen stops being black• i tried to do a windows update but it...
  8. Black screen in games, when fullscrene on main monitor

Black screen in games, when fullscrene on main monitor: on nearly every video game I have when it goes full screen, it goes black... • runs fine on window mode and on second monitor... • started when I updated drivers• if I move my mouse off the 1st monitor, the screen stops being black• i tried to do a windows update but it...
  9. Secondary monitor has black screen while main is fine.

Secondary monitor has black screen while main is fine.: Same problem as the 3 threads below noticed all 3 locked w/o solution: Secondary monitor has black screen while main is fine. Both monitors are detected and has its recommended resolution settings. Re-installed manufacturer drivers and forced windows to use it Mine was LG...
  10. Main monitor

Main monitor: Every once in a while my main monitor freezes. I have an HP Pavilion Desktop. I have to restart my graphics drivers every time this happens using Win+Ctrl+Shift+B, and although this works, I am looking for a permanent fix, and an explanation to the problem. Looking this...