Windows 10: Main monitor desktop freeze

Discus and support Main monitor desktop freeze in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello! Lately I've encountered this strange bug and I'm not sure where it's from. Sometimes, just after booting, the main screen desktop will fail... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by KingBossMan1123, Apr 4, 2017.

1. Main monitor desktop freeze

Hello!

Lately I've encountered this strange bug and I'm not sure where it's from. Sometimes, just after booting, the main screen desktop will fail to become interactable. None of the icons are clickable, it is impossible to open a right-click menu and the taskbar is irresponsive. However my second screen works just fine, and any windows opened on the second monitor and then moved will work just fine on main.

The only differences I can think of between the two is that one is HDMI (Main) and the other is HDVI (Second).

As far as I've been able to find the only solution is to restart the computer. I've not been able to find any other threads on this anywhere, and am posting to find the source.

:)

KingBossMan1123, Apr 4, 2017

2. Dual Monitor setup, main display is unresponsive/frozen.

So I have just encountered a problem with my main monitor freezing. On the frozen monitor, I can move my mouse cursor and can see it moving onscreen, but I cannot interact with anything on that screen, no clicks work regardless of if I am interacting with
    the desktop or a window above that desktop. If I use the keyboard controls, however, I can move the windows around. If I do the click drag, I also can drag across to the frozen desktop, but only if I start the click drag on the working desktop.

I have restarted the computer, restarted explorer.exe, changed which monitor is the main display and it's always the main display that is frozen. If I make my secondary monitor the main display, that is the monitor that frozen.

Any help? Thanks.

Meeesh11011, Apr 4, 2017
  3. How to MOVE the Windows 10 Taskbar to second screen (not copy it)?

That's not true at all on my 4-monitor setup. Monitor 2 is my primary(main) monitor, but the main taskbar (with clock, etc.) is on monitor-3.

epsilonquest, Apr 4, 2017
  4. Main monitor desktop freeze

Hi KingBossMan1123

Could I suggest you create a new user and test if the behavior persists?

I would also check your Windows update history and see if drivers have been installed. Not sure how far to go back as you said lately.

Ken

Caledon Ken, Apr 9, 2017
Thema:

Main monitor desktop freeze

1. Main monitor desktop freeze - Similar Threads - Main monitor desktop

2. Turning second monitor in to main

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Turning second monitor in to main: Hi so i got a problem so my monitor from my laptop broke so i want to use a second monitor no problems there but then i factory reseted it for my litle brother and now ma screen is black i can't use the main screen cuz it was broken so now i'm stuk with a black screen what do...
  3. Set external monitor as main

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Set external monitor as main: Hello. Every time I open the laptop, I have to manually set the external monitor to be the main one, not wanting to use the laptop one anymore. How can I make Windows remember this setting every time I start it? This is Windows 10 Pro with up-to-date updates....
  4. Main monitor

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Main monitor: Every once in a while my main monitor freezes. I have an HP Pavilion Desktop. I have to restart my graphics drivers every time this happens using Win+Ctrl+Shift+B, and although this works, I am looking for a permanent fix, and an explanation to the problem. Looking this...
  5. Main monitor causing black screen on both my main monitor and secondary monitor

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Main monitor causing black screen on both my main monitor and secondary monitor: As the title says, my main monitor is connected via hdmi and the secondary via DVI. Have been using both monitors for years, was working fine up until a few days ago. Computer would boot but neither neither screen came on, waited until my system auto logged on and tried...
  6. Will moving desktop icons on a second monitor change them on the main monitor?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Will moving desktop icons on a second monitor change them on the main monitor?: I have a HDMI switcher on my main monitor. When I'm not displaying my PC on it, everything switches to my second monitor which is smaller so the desktop icons are all funky. If I move them around when they're on the second monitor, will they be moved when they go back to the...
  7. Desktop randomly restarts. Main monitor completely black, 2nd monitor fully green

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Desktop randomly restarts. Main monitor completely black, 2nd monitor fully green: Hi there, I just got a new desktop computer and have windows 10 Pro on it and installed my 'standard' software on it for school and gaming. Since yesterday, my pc randomly shuts down and my main monitor is 100% black no error or something and my second monitor is 100%...
  8. Desktop icons splitting between main and second monitor

in Windows 10 Customization
    Desktop icons splitting between main and second monitor: I was messing around with my desktop settings a few days ago and when I changed the size of my desktop icons from medium to large back to medium, my icons started splitting between my main and second monitor. I moved them back, but whenever I restart or turn my computer back...
  9. Programs freezing on monitor that isn't "main display"

in Windows 10 Customization
    Programs freezing on monitor that isn't "main display": Hi, I'm having an issue with my computer that didn't used to exist. I have a dual screen set up with "extend these displays" option set, I noticed about a week ago that when I started certain programs (autodesk maya and substance painter) on my monitor that wasn't set to...
  10. Excel Issues - Mainly Freezing

in Microsoft Office and 365
    Excel Issues - Mainly Freezing: Just installed Windows 10 a few days ago. Several times when using Excel (I have Excel 2010) I'll do something very simple - like try to Bold or Underline some text, and it freezes on me. I let it run for awhile to see if it fixes the issue but hasn't yet. I have to use task...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. desktop frozen on main monitor