Windows 10: main-screen icon positions

Discus and support main-screen icon positions in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; On at least two occasion when I turned on my Windows 10 pc, all the main-screen icons had been shifted around. Is there a way to KEEP them where I put... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by williebird848, Feb 22, 2020.

1. main-screen icon positions

On at least two occasion when I turned on my Windows 10 pc, all the main-screen icons had been shifted around. Is there a way to KEEP them where I put them?

:)

williebird848, Feb 22, 2020
  2. Argel Obm Win User

How to prevent desktop icons from changing positions

Hi Stephen,

There are various reasons why you're experiencing the issue. Let us isolate your concern by enabling the
    Auto arrange icons option, and then disabling it to see if the issue will persist. To do this follow these steps:

• Go to the Desktop screen, and then right click anywhere.
    • Hover your mouse on View.
    • Select Auto arrange icons.
    • Restart the computer.
    • After restarting the computer, check if your Desktop icons are still in the right position after clicking the
      Auto arrange icons option.
    • If your Desktop icons are in the right position, repeat steps 1-3 to disable the
      Auto arrange icons option.
    • Customize the position of your Desktop icons.
    • Restart the computer.
    • After restarting the computer, check if the issue will occur.

We'll be waiting for your response.

Argel Obm, Feb 22, 2020
  3. gdavej Win User
    Icon Positions

I know this has been asked before, but I've never found a suitable answer, so forgive me for asking again. I'm so frustrated though by this problem.

I've got a lot of icons on my Windows 10 Pro desktop, all carefully positioned. Every time I play certain games, or connect my display to a big screen TV, the icons move around... a familiar story. I've tried all sorts to resolve this:

1 desktopok... tried this, but it has never worked for me, and doesn't even save the current icon layout, tried with AutoArrange off, tried running as administrator, moved the exec away from the C:\ProgramFiles. Nothing works.
    2: Stardock Fences... I moved all the icons into one great big fence, but again after screen resolution change, the icons in the fence had moved around.
    3: tried exporting the icon positions in the registry HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\Bags\1\Desktop, then moving icons, and importing the registry entries. However, as soon as I refresh the screen, or reboot, the registry reverts to the changed positions, not the original.

This is so frustrating, why Microsoft can't solve this simple problem is beyond me. Can anybody suggest any solution that I haven't tried, other than never playing the games that change resolution.

gdavej, Feb 22, 2020
  4. simrick Win User

main-screen icon positions

Icon Positions

Hi gdavej and welcome to Tenforums.
    I've never tried this little program, but maybe it will help?
    http://www.midiox.com/index.htm?http...toprestore.htm

simrick, Feb 22, 2020
Thema:

main-screen icon positions

1. main-screen icon positions - Similar Threads - main screen icon

2. compres icones position on the screen

in Windows 10 Gaming
    compres icones position on the screen: compress icone on the screen https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/compres-icones-position-on-the-screen/d90bd2a8-34d9-452d-aa29-92742c683689
  3. compres icones position on the screen

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    compres icones position on the screen: compress icone on the screen https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/compres-icones-position-on-the-screen/d90bd2a8-34d9-452d-aa29-92742c683689
  4. lock the icon positions on the deskto

in Windows 10 Gaming
    lock the icon positions on the deskto: Please I am using Windows 7 Home Premium.How can I lock the icon positions on the desktop?Thanks a lot.Beny https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/lock-the-icon-positions-on-the-deskto/205705f8-7553-42cd-b934-4bf5317ad49f
  5. Folder icon positioning

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Folder icon positioning: I have several computers running either Win10 or Win11. On all but one, when I create a new desktop folder, it stays where I create it. On ONE computer, every time I create a new desktop folder it moves to the first 'open' position from the left of the screen. This occurred...
  6. Folder icon positioning

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Folder icon positioning: I have several computers running either Win10 or Win11. On all but one, when I create a new desktop folder, it stays where I create it. On ONE computer, every time I create a new desktop folder it moves to the first 'open' position from the left of the screen. This occurred...
  7. Icon positioning?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Icon positioning?: Don't know if this is a new/upgrade issue, or just a setting I'm overlooking. Auto Arrange for desktop icons is OFF; align-to-grid is ON - though I can turn it off and the situation persists. Desired Outcome: for a new folder to remain WHERE I CREATE IT, instead of snapping...
  8. screen position

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    screen position: i can not see the up and down arrows because the screen is slightly to the right https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/screen-position/b967e0c8-439f-49db-8580-4cc122e3664a
  9. Desktop icon positions

in Windows 10 Customization
    Desktop icon positions: Currently my desktop icons are on a fixed grid. I would like to change them back to a custom grid where I can control their position relative to each other. How do I get rid of the fixed grid?...
  10. Icon Positions

in Windows 10 Support
    Icon Positions: I know this has been asked before, but I've never found a suitable answer, so forgive me for asking again. I'm so frustrated though by this problem. I've got a lot of icons on my Windows 10 Pro desktop, all carefully positioned. Every time I play certain games, or connect...