Windows 10: Main taskbar keeps coming back to primary monitor

Discus and support Main taskbar keeps coming back to primary monitor in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Hi, I have two monitors. On the first I watch videos in full screen and play games. On the second I tend to leave browsers open with pages or YouTube... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by LeoCarmo, Nov 13, 2020.

1. LeoCarmo Win User

Main taskbar keeps coming back to primary monitor

Hi, I have two monitors. On the first I watch videos in full screen and play games. On the second I tend to leave browsers open with pages or YouTube videos. So I unlock and drag the taskbar to the secondary display so I can see the clock and notification area while gaming. The minimised windows will show on that taskbar, not on the 1st.

But when playing Counter-Strike: Global Offensive, I hit Win+P to switch to single display, since leaving it double makes the game minimise sometimes, I don't know why. Everything compresses to the first screen: taskbar items, desktop icons, Rainmeter and notification area.

Thing is, when I'm done playing, I hit Win+P again to switch back to Extend mode dual monitors. When I do that, Windows doesn't remember that the taskbar items were on the second monitor to begin with, not the first, so I always have to manually drag them to the 2nd.

Is there a way to have Windows remember the taskbar's place when I switch to and fro Single Display and Extend?

:)

LeoCarmo, Nov 13, 2020

2. How to auto-hide taskbar of the second monitor keeping unhide in the primary monitor?

Hi,

I suggest you to follow the steps below to auto-hide taskbar on second monitor and check if it helps:

Steps:

1. Right click on the taskbar and select
    Properties.

2. In the Taskbar tab under
    Multiple displays, Uncheck the Show taskbar on all displays box.

3. Click on Apply
    and Ok.

This will display the taskbar only on the primary monitor.

Hope it helps. Revert to us with the results, will be glad to assist you.

Thank you.

Mohan Babu ER, Nov 13, 2020
  3. Taskbar keeps moving back to primary monitor

That's a good one! Since I have the extension enabled this is what I end up when setting it for the right side still seeing the main bar on the primary display however.

Main taskbar keeps coming back to primary monitor [​IMG]

You will notice there are two backgrounds courtesy of the UltraMON utility program. On the left side of the secondary I enabled a side bar type gadget while you still see how the main task bar itself remains on the primary. With the task bar unlocked you can drag it around the screen but anything can end up seeing it reset to the default position back on the primary when some program for example won't open on the secondary.

Here I have the task bar and extension set for the right side but reversed as far as which display they are on.

And this one has the task bar returned to the top but in reverse order with the extension

And this is where you have yours excluding the gadget. When using the UltraMON option to enable the secondary smartbar that had an interesting result.

There's the right click on the icon hidden in the system tray.

But this time however the extension remains on top due it being a 3rd party app until the position setting is changed. And now there's one other thing to include with all this. Namely what happens when changing the task bar settings while the popup for system tray icons is still open! I now have to sign out or restart to get that to close up!

At first that remained open where you saw it in the other screen for the UltraMON settings until the task bar was back on the primary and I clicked on the arrrow to see it appear where it is there. That only goes to show that the task bar and items within simply find their way back to the primary automatically in time.

Night Hawk, Nov 13, 2020
  4. Main taskbar keeps coming back to primary monitor

How to auto-hide taskbar of the second monitor keeping unhide in the primary monitor?

I have this same problem too but the solution you gave appears to not be possible on windows 10. There is no properties for the taskbar when right clicking on it and the only taskbar options are in the newer (and less useful) settings app. There is definitely
    no option to only autohide for one screen but you can autohide all or none (neither of which I want). I really hope microsoft fixes this with more options to do this. Why would they remove such a basic feature???

That_Guy427, Nov 13, 2020
Thema:

Main taskbar keeps coming back to primary monitor

1. Main taskbar keeps coming back to primary monitor - Similar Threads - Main taskbar keeps

2. Primary monitor keeps disappearing!

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Primary monitor keeps disappearing!: My primary monitor only supports HDMI input, and my second monitor is VGA only. I am currently using a Displayport to HDMI adapter to run my primary monitor, and an HDMI to VGA adaptor to run the second screen. The problem is that any time the PC goes into power saving mode,...
  3. Move the taskbar on the secondary monitor and leave primary monitor with no taskbar

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Move the taskbar on the secondary monitor and leave primary monitor with no taskbar: Hi.I would really appreciate more taskbar positioning options for the taskbar in Windows 11. I would really like to move the taskbar on the secondary monitor and leave primary monitor with no taskbar. If it is possible to do, I would really appreciate to know how. I already...
  4. How to auto hide taskbar on main monitor, but keep other monitor taskbar static?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to auto hide taskbar on main monitor, but keep other monitor taskbar static?: I was wondering how you could keep the auto hide taskbar only on the first monitor like in the images below, and the other monitor taskbar showing? Is it possible? Thanks in advance!I just took these pictures by turning on autohide on the first picture, and turning off...
  5. Primary monitor keeps disappearing!

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Primary monitor keeps disappearing!: My primary monitor only supports HDMI input, and my second monitor is VGA only. I am currently using a Displayport to HDMI adapter to run my primary monitor, and an HDMI to VGA adaptor to run the second screen. The problem is that any time the PC goes into power saving mode,...
  6. Dual monitors: keeping the primary display primary

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Dual monitors: keeping the primary display primary: I have a Lenovo i7 Desktop PC with an Intel HD Graphics 4600 PCI card with 2 DisplayPort and 1 VGA outputs. One DP output is connected to my primary monitor, a 1080p Lenovo monitor. The other DP output is connected to my 55" Samsung HDTV, also 1080p, via a DisplayPort to...
  7. Main taskbar keeps coming back to primary monitor

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Main taskbar keeps coming back to primary monitor: Hi, I have two monitors. On the first I watch videos in full screen and play games. On the second I tend to leave browsers open with pages or YouTube videos. So I unlock and drag the taskbar to the secondary display so I can see the clock and notification area while gaming....
  8. Locked taskbar moves back to primary monitor

in Windows 10 Customization
    Locked taskbar moves back to primary monitor: As the subject says, I have my taskbar locked on my secondary monitor, however, about 7 out of every 10 times I reboot my PC, the taskbar moves back to my primary monitor, and still remains locked. I had this same set up and had no problems with it before, but it has popped...
  9. Hide Taskbar on Primary Monitor

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Hide Taskbar on Primary Monitor: Hey guys, I can't hide (not auto-hide) the taskbar on my primary monitor. Of course I can enable auto-hide, but that's not what i want. I could switch the primary monitor, but then I can't use my 144 Hz becuase the second monitor is only 60 Hz. Are there, maybe...
  10. Taskbar keeps moving back to primary monitor

in Windows 10 Support
    Taskbar keeps moving back to primary monitor: Pretty much as the title says. My task bar is locked and located on the right-hand side of my second monitor. Occasionally I'll go for it and realize that it is now located on the right-hand side of my primary monitor. Most recently this happened after bringing my computer...