Windows 10: Maintain Photo Gallery tagging

Discus and support Maintain Photo Gallery tagging in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; From what I read the support for Windows (Live) Photo Gallery is fading but that Photos, as far I read and checked, doesn't maintain the tags. I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by RTurnock, Apr 11, 2017.

1. RTurnock Win User

Maintain Photo Gallery tagging

From what I read the support for Windows (Live) Photo Gallery is fading but that Photos, as far I read and checked, doesn't maintain the tags.

I have 20k+ photos with all the people tagged. If I lose access to Photo Gallery is all the hundreds of hours of work lost?

As you can imagine this is a major issue and I'd be grateful for any insights.

Richard

:)

RTurnock, Apr 11, 2017
  2. Tom_WC Win User

How do I migrate photos from Win Photo Gallery to Win Photos WITH all tag information?

So you're using "people" tags; I was afraid of that. All other Gallery tags are readable by Explorer. See

this
    thread for more on the subject. It talks about using "normal" tags to accompany the people tags so that you can access them in Explorer. I assume that will work but Photos will soon have full-fledged people tagging as well so you may want to just
    keep using Gallery until Photos is enhanced (it should be soon since I think all that's needed is the ability to tag existing links).

I don't use OneDrive but why can't you just point Photos' Sources to it? Are you saying there's some sort of incompatibility with how OneDrive handles Gallery?

Tom_WC, Apr 11, 2017
  3. Windows 10 Photo app

I have a similar problem. I used Photo Gallery for years. I have tons of photos with all sorts of tags. I now like using the Photo app that came with Windows 10. Photo picks up all my photos from Photo Gallery. However the metadata does not seem to
    come with them. Is there a way to fix this?

Also, I don't see a way to use tags in Photo, even when tagging for the first time.

Thanks for your help.

RK

RobertKaren, Apr 11, 2017
  4. Maintain Photo Gallery tagging

Hi RTurnock.

While I can't say exactly how advance MS Photos is in terms of their facial recognition, some products like Google Photo scares me when it comes to facial recognition. Identify a person and let it run.

You might want to give both products a trail. Find a couple of people in your current library at different ages in their life, load a dozen or so photos for each and determine results. You may wish to search Google Photo and see about its capabilities.

Ken

Caledon Ken, Apr 12, 2017
  5. RTurnock Win User
    Thanks. I have played with Google Photo and it, like Photo Gallery, can be eerie. I couldn't find out how to manually tag a person in Google, am I missing it?

I can't believe Microsoft did this there must be millions of photos and millions of hours work at risk of being wasted.

Thanks again

Richard

RTurnock, Apr 12, 2017
  6. I don't remember. Was helping someone else although I do have to do something with my wife's Picasa's abb. It is no longer being developed.

You could review Google Help.

Google Photos Help

Caledon Ken, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Maintain Photo Gallery tagging

1. Maintain Photo Gallery tagging - Similar Threads - Maintain Photo Gallery

2. Photo Gallery Live tags vs Photos app albums

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Photo Gallery Live tags vs Photos app albums: I'm a longtime user of Photo Gallery Live, trying every once in a while to switch to the Win10 Photos app. The current hold-up for me, unless I am missing something, is that album info is not saved in the photo file like tags in Photo Gallery Live were. I'll explain. In...
  3. Windows Live Photo gallery - People tagging

Windows Live Photo gallery - People tagging: Hi, I've used WLPG over the years and it has been wonderful for photos of my ancestors - I've over the years tagged every photo with people tagging so I know 'who is who' in old wedding photos etc. WLPG isn't compatible with W10 - what program replaces that with People...
  4. Photo Gallery

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Photo Gallery: It seems since the last update that I can no longer open photos, using Photo Gallery, that have beensent to me through email . They first opened in Sketchbook, which I removed, now they open in Paint3D. How can I make them always open with Photo Gallery like they used to?...
  5. Photo gallery

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Photo gallery: How do I remove pictures that were automatically downloaded from the internet and put in my photo gallery..and therefore using up my space. and how can I stop that from happening? Thanks for any help you can offer!!...
  6. Photo Gallery

Photo Gallery: How do I move from one picture to another in Photo Gallery WITHOUT Slide Show https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/photo-gallery/71525ccf-6da8-431f-9f49-4b2ead1a70cb
  7. Photo Gallery

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Photo Gallery: I like Photo Gallery and want to make a slide show, what is a good Windows 10 App that replaces Photo Gallery? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/photo-gallery/7d5ba969-0cd6-4afa-80ee-bf03bf5d0afc"
  8. photo gallery

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    photo gallery: Photo gallery,not working as it should,can I update,Thanks https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/photo-gallery/0f4e5b2a-0138-4884-8bff-7701c1ad525c
  9. Photo Gallery

Photo Gallery: How do I copy a photo from one folder to another (in Photo Gallery)? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/apps_windows_10-photos/photo-gallery/1408aca9-4d5f-4811-acd6-921049531f59
  10. Photo Gallery

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Photo Gallery: Have used Photo gallery successfully for a long time, no problems. Occasionally I have to send photos individually or in pairs rather than 4 or 5 at a time. Current problem: Now when I use my SD card reader, I don't get an immediate option to transfer or import the...