Windows 10: Maintaining State using differencing VHDs in Windows 10

Discus and support Maintaining State using differencing VHDs in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Virtualization to solve the problem; I found this download some years ago - and incorporated it extensively on kiosk pcs for work. It utilizes native-boot in Windows 7 Ultimate or... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Virtualization' started by peterdav, Dec 21, 2020.

1. peterdav Win User

Maintaining State using differencing VHDs in Windows 10

I found this download some years ago - and incorporated it extensively on kiosk pcs for work. It utilizes native-boot in Windows 7 Ultimate or Enterprise to enable rollback to a pristine installation state.
    I would be grateful if someone with better skills than myself could adapt this for Windows 10 - as this worked quickly and flawlessly for my purposes in Win 7 - and is really easy to use. I incorporated this within SCCM to rollback kiosk workstations to a pristine state every night. I have included a link to the files and the simple documentation that came with them.

Thanks in advance,

Pete.
    https://mega.nz/folder/qE9kwBbb#_NwdzKb71qQ3wlX4LhyFiw

:)

peterdav, Dec 21, 2020

2. Windows 10 VHD Native Boot

Is it possible to native boot a vhd created from an image of an existing and working Windows 10 (April Update) installation (native PC, not VM, and no Sysprep), using UEFI or BIOS interchangeably on the same machine the installation was first setup (Since
    it's the same device, I was hoping Sysprep wouldn't be required)? I'm testing with a 64-bit OS, and a fixed size VHD (and optionally differencing VHD). I'm interested in details for both Pro and Enterprise.

When I try to boot, Windows loads partway, through two loading indication screens up to a blank (black) screen, with a mouse pointer continuously switching between normal and busy pointers, and keeps reading the disk.

I have placed the boot files on a UFD, but the VHD is on a Hard Disk (not SSD) with plenty of space for expansion.

Is it an issue if a page file can't be created on the parent HDD volume?

I also tried to boot a differencing VHD, but through UEFI, only the entry for the parent VHD is shown, even though I know for a fact that the entry for the differencing disk also exists in the efi BCD, and when I try to add the differencing entry to non
    UEFI BCD, I get errors (IIRC there is an invalid object in the boot configuration data store), with error codes such as 0xc00000bb when using the boot files from 1803 ADK, and 0xc3a000b when using those from the ADK for Windows 8.1 Update...

The VHDs were created using diskpart. I'm primarily interested in VHD, not VHDX, though any relevant info on the latter is also welcome.

I HAVE in the past managed to native boot from VHDs on the same system, including differencing disks, but with a parent VHD I had obtained from the Microsoft website (Windows 10 Development Environment VHD, but I don't have that anymore to test, and I'm
    not sure if it was x86 or x64).

Correction:

I believe one of the error codes is 0xc03a000b, NOT 0xc3a000b. I mistyped.

Also, I have tried creating the boot files with bcdboot with /f ALL and also creating the BCDs manually with bcdedit...

Thejaka Maldeniya, Dec 21, 2020
  3. peterdav Win User

I found this download some years ago - and incorporated it extensively on kiosk pcs for work. It utilizes native-boot in Windows 7 Ultimate or Enterprise to enable rollback to a pristine installation state.
    I would be grateful if someone with better skills than myself could adapt this for Windows 10 - as this worked quickly and flawlessly for my purposes in Win 7 - and is really easy to use. I incorporated this within SCCM to rollback kiosk workstations to a pristine state every night. I have included a link to the files and the simple documentation that came with them.

Thanks in advance,

Pete.
    138.79 MB folder on MEGA

peterdav, Dec 21, 2020
  4. Thagstrom Win User

Changes to the contents of a VHD

Hello! I am an Independent Advisor, I would love to help you out!

What pages is this from?

Depending on the program you can make differencing disks from VHD's. Which will boot up and allow differences to be made by restoring the default VHD when rebooted.

A gold image of the VHd could be set up and redeployed anytime something needs a new image, etc.

A copy or clone of a VHD could also easily be made as well.

Thagstrom, Dec 21, 2020
Thema:

1. Maintaining State using differencing VHDs in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Maintaining State using

2. Windows 10 is not maintaining Windows positions anymore

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 is not maintaining Windows positions anymore: I found this hint "How do I get Windows 10 to remember window size and position?", but it's not working anymore. There are many things, Microsoft screwed up in Windows 10: - Mouseklicks are often not working. Often I have to click twice to select an element -...
  3. Is there a way to use a custom icon for a folder but the default is maintained and the...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Is there a way to use a custom icon for a folder but the default is maintained and the...: I've seen a lot of folders than instead of using the default icon or a custom one, they use a normal folder icon but they have a smaller icon too. A good example is the google drive synced folder, which uses the windows folder icon with the drive logo next to it. Is there a...
  4. Using iCloud for Windows to maintain Photo Library across devices?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Using iCloud for Windows to maintain Photo Library across devices?: After losing some photos on my iPhone that was not backed up properly, I am determined to get iCloud for Windows set up to safely maintain my Photo Library for storage on iCloud as well as optimized versions on my iPhone and Laptop I use an iPhone and Windows 10 laptop,...
  5. Windows 10 licence for VHDX differencing disks

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows 10 licence for VHDX differencing disks: Hi I have question about licencing. I have Windows 10 Pro installed on my main disk. As far I know, if I want to install another Windows 10 Pro, on different disk/partition, on the same PC I need to buy second licence....
  6. maintaining connection

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    maintaining connection: I have a laptop shared with 2 other family members , Both of their accounts work fine no problems, But I cant stay connected to any pages for more than 40 seconds so it is difficult to do anything tried settings etc and a few built in troubleshoots stuck help as I am not a...
  7. maintaining connection

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    maintaining connection: I have a laptop shared with 2 other family members , Both of their accounts work fine no problems, But I cant stay connected to any pages for more than 40 seconds so it is difficult to do anything tried settings etc and a few built in troubleshoots stuck help as I am not a...
  8. how to maintain the windows 10

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    how to maintain the windows 10: how to maintain the device https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-maintain-the-windows-10/8b640046-48e8-492f-894a-14a6de831f58
  9. Differencing Hard Disk - Hyper-V

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Differencing Hard Disk - Hyper-V: I came across this option when creating a new had drive in Hyper-V. Has anybody ever used one - is it analogous to e.g. a checkpoint, or an incremental image backup in Macrium Reflect? When and how would you use it? [img] Edit - been reading up on it and they look quite...
  10. Hyper-V - Use Differencing Disks

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Hyper-V - Use Differencing Disks: How to: Hyper-V - Use Differencing Disks [img] Information A virtual machine using Differencing Disks is stored on two separate virtual hard disks. The Parent Disk contains the basic Windows installation, and the Child Disk all user settings, data, customizations and so...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. native-boot windows 10 to differencing vhdx