Windows 10: Maintenance on a seldom used PC

Discus and support Maintenance on a seldom used PC in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; I have a "backup" PC that I run about one or two hours a week. (And this is the only one I've installed Win10 on so far.) When I had Win7 on it, I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by pokeefe0001, Sep 19, 2015.

1. Maintenance on a seldom used PC

I have a "backup" PC that I run about one or two hours a week. (And this is the only one I've installed Win10 on so far.) When I had Win7 on it, I would usually check to see if there was useful or necessary maintenance whenever I had the PC up. How is this going to work on Win10 now that I have no control over updates? Do I just assume that the maintenance downloads and installation will happen during that uptime window? Is there any way to check whether maintenance is being installed when I'm ready to shut down?

:)

pokeefe0001, Sep 19, 2015

2. wifi connects seldom

I am not able to connet my wifi in windows 10 .my wifi driver is broadcom 802.11n .It connects only when I try many times by turning on and off .What is the solution for this problem?

file:///C:/ProgramData/Microsoft/Windows/WlanReport/wlan-report-latest.html

this is my wifi report

***Post moved by the moderator to the appropriate forum category.***

harshajayana, Sep 19, 2015
  3. Kapil Arya MVP, Sep 19, 2015
  4. mrgeek Win User

Maintenance on a seldom used PC

Do I just assume that the maintenance downloads and installation will happen during that uptime window?

Yes, no need for you to take manual steps. Updates will be checked and downloaded at startup. When complete, it may ask you if you want to restart now. If so, updates have been installed. Otherwise, go to Action Center/All Settings/Update & Security and manually check for updates to confirm computer is up to date.
    Other maintenance like security scans, defragging and cleanup take place in background while device is up and will resume next time, if not completed by shutdown.

mrgeek, Sep 19, 2015
  5. Hmm. Maybe I can block access to Microsoft with my firewall except when I'm ready for maintenance. Using my bandwidth unbidden like that is unacceptable.

pokeefe0001, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Maintenance on a seldom used PC

1. Maintenance on a seldom used PC - Similar Threads - Maintenance seldom used

2. Maintenance

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Maintenance: Why does the maintenance in progress flag stay on forever, it seems. how long should it take to complete the process? i am running Windows 8.1. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/maintenance/f6b0edf7-364a-45fe-a383-4ba9cbd06807
  3. Maintenance

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Maintenance: Why does the maintenance in progress flag stay on forever, it seems. how long should it take to complete the process? i am running Windows 8.1. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/maintenance/f6b0edf7-364a-45fe-a383-4ba9cbd06807
  4. RESTORO 2020 / ANY PC MAINTENANCE RECOMMEDATIONS

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    RESTORO 2020 / ANY PC MAINTENANCE RECOMMEDATIONS: I've heard mixed opinions about Restoro. Back in 2018, bad. Now, in 2020 rave reviews. What's the deal? Facts please, not just hearsay. Has anyone have, used or tried this company? Does Microsoft have a list of reputable"Clean, Tune and Maintain your PC" companies they...
  5. Maintenance

Maintenance: Automatic Maintenance is up to ETA 160 +. What can I do? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/maintenance/bed72cf4-9661-46d5-b3e9-b638eee618a1
  6. Forgotten password on seldom used pc

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Forgotten password on seldom used pc: I have a pc that is seldom used, it may be w8.1 or w10, and have tried every log on password that I can think of. If I can get it running, then the password will be changed to be in my current series of passwords that get used with the other pc's.*Confused 123207
  7. Automatic Maintenance

in Windows 10 Customization
    Automatic Maintenance: This feature was accessed about 45 minutes ago and is still running. How do I get it to complete the maintenance, please? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/automatic-maintenance/40119d17-0c2e-41b4-9982-19d4ec0cfe38
  8. best program for PC maintenance

best program for PC maintenance: is there any program or anything I can do to get blazing fast performance? I have a couple questions... am I allowed to post system specs on here? do I have a decent video card? do I have a decent processor? im very good with computers, but not too familiar with hardware....
  9. Best Practices for Regular PC Maintenance

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Best Practices for Regular PC Maintenance: I'm surprised there's not a sticky for this, but can anyone recommend any software or a checklist to clean up junk on a PC on a regular basis besides cookies and cache? I'm referring to things like registry and defrag. I also feel like there's space and/or resources being...
  10. Upgrade process for a seldom used PC

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Upgrade process for a seldom used PC: I want to try my first Win10 upgrade on a seldom used "backup" PC. This PC is usually turned off. I bring it up for a couple hours each week to update malware definitions, apply maint, etc. In the Win 7 Task Scheduler I currently have gwx disabled. (I have it disables on 2...