Windows 10: Major Help Needed - Windows 10 data missing/desktop changed

Discus and support Major Help Needed - Windows 10 data missing/desktop changed in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Upgraded to Windows 10 Saturday Night. Sunday morning started computer and the desktop had none of my icons, shortcuts, etc. I found all my files in... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by ocsurf, Nov 29, 2015.

1. ocsurf Win User

Major Help Needed - Windows 10 data missing/desktop changed

Upgraded to Windows 10 Saturday Night.
    Sunday morning started computer and the desktop had none of my icons, shortcuts, etc. I found all my files in C: Users. I placed all my files in 1 folder on the desktop. I re added the shortcuts to my programs.
    I then updated and restarted. When it came back the desktop was black and had my old shortcuts from 8.1. The files I placed on the desktop were now gone.

I used Shadow Explorer and found the files again in Users, but the Export of files gives corrupt files.

What the heck can I do?

Should I recover back to 8.1?

:)

ocsurf, Nov 29, 2015
  2. GaryP253 Win User

Problem after reset

After system reset of my Windows 10 computer, The system came up but my desktop was missing the majority of my desktop icons, and windows wallpaper. How do I get them back?

GaryP253, Nov 29, 2015
  3. Erdeslawe Win User
    Recovery

You always need to maintain current backups of your personal data. You shouldn't lose your personal data during the Windows 10 upgrade, but it is a major system change and anything can go wrong when installing new software (and sometimes does).

Erdeslawe, Nov 29, 2015
Thema:

Major Help Needed - Windows 10 data missing/desktop changed

1. Major Help Needed - Windows 10 data missing/desktop changed - Similar Threads - Major Help Needed

2. Windows 10. Missing user data

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10. Missing user data: Hello, My wife accessed her user account this morning to find her document folder was empty of all folders and files. Under her user account there used to be user folders called Carole and Carol after one of the major upgrades took place years ago. All of her documents...
  3. Need help with desktop and application colors

in Windows 10 Customization
    Need help with desktop and application colors: I managed to make a total mess of my desktop and application colors and I can't figure out how to change them back to what I want. I've attached a screenshot showing my problem. Can someone provide me with some help?[ATTACH]...
  4. Need help with reading WPR data

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Need help with reading WPR data: I am having a problem with slow boot when i restart my PC. I tried all suggestions and methods that i could find on google but none is helping. So i recorded my boot trace with Windows Performance Recorder, but i cannot manage with the data and i cannot read from it to see...
  5. major homepage, browser and email setup help needed

in Browsers and Email
    major homepage, browser and email setup help needed: Using Edge, Mail linked to ATT. (Post written for by wife. has lost numerous cognitive abilities after suffering a stroke so I am trying to help. loves his pc and tablet but things are currently a mess. Our pc was hacked and money fraud email sent out from our all...
  6. Major Data Breach

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Major Data Breach: I have just been alerted to this data breach of email addresses and passwords https://www.troyhunt.com/ive-just-ad...-i-been-pwned/ I've changed any passwords which may be affected. 105045
  7. need help to change a email!

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    need help to change a email!: hey i need help, i have my account but its not the right email that is sing in to it. i was wondering how can i change it. thanks 98338
  8. Activating windows 10 after major hardware change help

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Activating windows 10 after major hardware change help: After my motherboard died I have installed new Skylake hardware so obviously my windows 10 installation wants to re activate. In my previous experiences of this I have phoned microsoft to explain my predicament and they supplied me with a new activation code. Now after...
  9. Need help to change HDD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Need help to change HDD: Hi, i got a new pc (2nd hand) and i was trying to put my HDD on it, the other HDD had windows 10 and mine too, but when i put mine, the pc doens't makes the boot, alrteady went to the BIOS to change the boot disk and still the same, it shows to insert the boot disk drive......
  10. Need help with Shortcuts and Desktop

in Windows 10 Support
    Need help with Shortcuts and Desktop: All my Shortcuts have now appeared in a Desktop file. I want them back on my Desktop Screen. Any help is appreciated. Thanks 71579