Windows 10: Major issue with Store and many other apps not working

Discus and support Major issue with Store and many other apps not working in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; There are a number of postings about apps not working. This is hardly unexpected. However, what is unexpected is that, mainly after the November... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by clayto, Dec 10, 2015.

1. clayto Win User

Major issue with Store and many other apps not working

There are a number of postings about apps not working. This is hardly unexpected. However, what is unexpected is that, mainly after the November update, a number of people are reporting a major issue with not one or two but a host of apps, failing or disappearing altogether. I have seen from other forums this is a widespread problem, with symptoms which are remarkably similar.

Personally I have lost 'core apps' such as People, Photos, Camera, Messaging, Skype, Films and TV, Calculator, Maps, and the Store itself.It is mainly but not only Microsoft's own apps which are affected. I have lost some important third party apps: WiFi Analyser, WinOpener, etc.

I think it is not unreasonable to say my OS is severely damaged. Fortunately I can still use email and browsers.

I have (for the first time) used a Windows Power Shell command to re-install / re-register apps, both via WinFix and directly. It has not worked. The reason why Power Shell cannot re-install / re-register apps, is in every case stated as "Package could not be registered because there was a merge failure." Meaning?

I have a weird Other list at the bottom of All Apps showing (in my case) nine none-functioning apps, all of which are named strangely like this: "@Microsoft.People_xyz" ---- xyz is a very long mainly numeric code. In a few cases these names appear on none-functioning tiles.

None-functioning Groove Music is listed like that, but is referred to as 'Zune Music'!

I have seen advice to uninstall / reinstall apps which misses the point, because you cannot find the app to uninstall it and you cannot launchStore to re-install it. I have tried unsuccessfully to download / re- install some apps like Films and TV from the online Store (which I can launch). ​But what I get is a message saying 'you will need a new app to open this Microsoft Store' with no explanation and no way to do it. What can this 'new app be'?

I have used SFC / SCANNOW and DISM which report 'there is no problem'. Who are they kidding? I have used FixWin 10 which uses Power Shell and various Troubleshooters. I used four restore points, which did not work.

It really is a mess. As many people are suffering (and more to come?) I do hope Microsoft will issue a fix, soon. One suggestion is to re-install Windows 10 with the Media Creation Tool. I paid a technician (quite a lot) to install it in the first place. It is not an attractive proposition.

:)

clayto, Dec 10, 2015

2. Windows store and many other apps not working in Windows 10. I have tried the following and got some errors.

Hey,

Appears that fixing is started, It has started working for me and this was the response from Microsoft:

Major issue with Store and many other apps not working [​IMG]

Just wait for sometime and hope everything is resolved.

Sumit Dhiman2, Dec 10, 2015
  3. Windows store and many other apps not working in Windows 10. I have tried the following and got some errors.

Ok so the Windows 10 store and other apps are crashing as everyone else have the same problem....

I have tried the following and got some errors..

Method 1: wsreset.exe

I have run the wsreset.exe and got the following error..

ms-windows-storeMajor issue with Store and many other apps not working :purgeCaches.

The application cannot be started. Please reinstall the application to fix the problem.

Method 2: making another new account as admin

Ok I have tried to make another new account as admin ...it did install all the apps again but still have the same problem none of the apps were opening.

Method 3: using powershell

I have tried the following command in windows powershell and I have got the following error..

PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> powershell -ExecutionPolicy Unrestricted Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register $Env:

SystemRoot\WinStore\AppxManifest.xml

Add-AppxPackage : Cannot find path 'C:\WINDOWS\WinStore\AppxManifest.xml' because it does not exist.

At line:1 char:1

+ Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register C:\WINDOWS\WinStore ...

+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

+ CategoryInfo : ObjectNotFound: (C:\WINDOWS\WinStore\AppxManifest.xml:String) [Add-AppxPackage], ItemNot

FoundException

+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : PathNotFound,Microsoft.Windows.Appx.PackageManager.Commands.AddAppxPackageCommand

PS C:\WINDOWS\system32>

Method 4: using powershell to uninstall store and reinstall.

I have even tried to uninstall the store completely and download a fresh package of the store from the internet . Pasted it into the WindowsApps folder and tried to install it again from the powershell . It installed perfectly but still couldnt open it.

Method 5:using windows update, using windows apps troubleshooter, restarting..

tried to update windows update ... updated and still getting the same error,

windows apps troubleshooter as always is dumb...

restarting ... hmm what was I thinking ... still no luck anyways...

Things that I still didnt try...

Method 1:using the reset option in settings to restore windows 10.

Method 2:installing fresh copy of windows 10.

Rohith Sanal, Dec 10, 2015
  4. simrick Win User

Hi.
    You might want to try an in-place upgrade to reinstall the operating system
    Grab the correct ISO from MS TechBench, right-click to mount it, then run setup.exe from within the current W10 OS.
    Be sure you remove Norton before doing this, and don't have any external devices connected.

simrick, Dec 11, 2015
  5. clayto Win User
    Thanks, it looks like I may have to do that though I am reluctant. I am really hoping for an update fix from Microsoft. I have just seen the following in the Windows Club forum: "Do you have Windows 10 November Update (Version 1511) installed on your PC? There's a bug in the November Update which causes apps not to work after using re-register feature." If this is recognised by Microsoft hopefully they will fix it soon?

My apologies for not having realised there was detailed discussion of this issue elsewhere in this forum --- but I hope my contribution adds something.

clayto, Dec 11, 2015
  6. Cliff S New Member
    Have you tried checking if your Time Zone is correctly set & your system time is synced to the internet(Control Panel>>Date and Time>>Internet Time tab) Also turn on Location in Settings App>>Privacy for the apps you want to work.
    These were problems in the past.

Cliff S, Dec 11, 2015
  7. damocles Win User
    This is one of the reason I really hate the automatic updates.....there is the potential for a bad one to mess up the computer. I have always left updates a few months to make sure they not buggy as some new video drivers are worse than the previous version.

damocles, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Major issue with Store and many other apps not working - Similar Threads - Major issue Store

2. Microsoft Store and other apps not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Microsoft Store and other apps not working: I can't open Microsoft Store I've tried fixing it but every video says to look through apps>Installed apps but it does NOT SHOW when I type "store" even though Microsoft Store is shown on my home! I can't open Microsoft and snipper tool??? I don't know why Microsoft is...
  3. Microsoft Store and other apps not working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Microsoft Store and other apps not working: I can't open Microsoft Store I've tried fixing it but every video says to look through apps>Installed apps but it does NOT SHOW when I type "store" even though Microsoft Store is shown on my home! I can't open Microsoft and snipper tool??? I don't know why Microsoft is...
  4. many apps not working, neither Photo nor Microsoft store and many other

in Windows 10 Gaming
    many apps not working, neither Photo nor Microsoft store and many other: I have had my computer for 2 weeks. It came with Windows 11 already installed brand new. Things were working great, but now I suddenly cannot open my photos. I get a message that says "This app can't open. Check the Windows store for more info about photos." However, I also...
  5. many apps not working, neither Photo nor Microsoft store and many other

many apps not working, neither Photo nor Microsoft store and many other: I have had my computer for 2 weeks. It came with Windows 11 already installed brand new. Things were working great, but now I suddenly cannot open my photos. I get a message that says "This app can't open. Check the Windows store for more info about photos." However, I also...
  6. Microsoft Store and many other UWP apps crashes on opening!

Microsoft Store and many other UWP apps crashes on opening!: I also needing to see the final answer for my bugs! The subjects tell you my computer have a problem! But the normal fix is useless. Can you help me find the advanced repair Microsoft Store?I have asked a time but not works. Here: https://bit.ly/3GaOtXDMaybe someone can help...
  7. Microsoft Store and many other UWP apps crashes on opening!

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Microsoft Store and many other UWP apps crashes on opening!: I wanted to open Microsoft Store and repair other UWP apps, but I tried wsreset.exe, access is denied. Then I tried Get-AppxPackage *windowsstore* Remove-AppxPackage then Get-AppXPackage *WindowsStore* -AllUsers Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register...
  8. Microsoft Store and many other UWP apps crashes on opening!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Microsoft Store and many other UWP apps crashes on opening!: I wanted to open Microsoft Store and repair other UWP apps, but I tried wsreset.exe, access is denied. Then I tried Get-AppxPackage *windowsstore* Remove-AppxPackage then Get-AppXPackage *WindowsStore* -AllUsers Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register...
  9. Microsoft Store and many other UWP apps crashes on opening!

10. Administrative privileges not working as well as many other issues

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Administrative privileges not working as well as many other issues: A week ago I noticed my sound wasn't working. I spent a week trying to get it to work until I found a bigger issue. I'm the admin on my laptop and yet I can't do anything as admin. If I right click on anything I only see pin to task bar and not run as admin. I found this out...