Windows 10: Major Nvidia graphics driver issues after 2004 update

Discus and support Major Nvidia graphics driver issues after 2004 update in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; So my PC just updated earlier tonight... and when it came back up, all hell kind of broke loose. My graphics card is a Gigabyte 1660 Super; I already... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/Ciel_Rosemont, Nov 18, 2020.

1. Major Nvidia graphics driver issues after 2004 update

So my PC just updated earlier tonight... and when it came back up, all hell kind of broke loose. My graphics card is a Gigabyte 1660 Super; I already had the latest drivers from Nvidia (457.30) installed before tonight, and have had no issues with them. Once the Windows update was completed, the following happened:

-Windows is no longer recognizing the existence of the card or any Nvidia drivers. All I've got is a "Microsoft Basic Display Adapter" which has severely degraded visual performance (not trying to run games or anything, just even when typing this message everything is janky) and can't see more than one monitor (I normally run three).

-Nvidia control panel won't open, saying "Application is not compatible with installed Nvidia driver."

-GeForce Experience seems to think NO driver is installed, as there's no listing for currently installed drivers, only the option to download the latest ones (again). Also, clicking "home" and "options" and "my account" in GFE does nothing ; almost all buttons/functions within GFE seem to be “broken”.

-When I look in Add/Remove programs, all of the Nvidia drivers (the actual graphics card driver as well as PhysX, etc.) are still there.

So! I created a restore point and system image just in case, and my next step, I would think, is to just completely uninstall everything Nvidia-related, and then fresh install the drivers. My main question is: should I go ahead and use DDU to do this, since something is clearly borked? Or would it be best to at least TRY to uninstall everything the "regular" way from add/remove programs, and then see if the reinstall goes smoothly, before going for DDU? And if anyone has any other insights or recommendations related to this issue, they are welcome. Thanks!

submitted by /u/Ciel_Rosemont
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/Ciel_Rosemont, Nov 18, 2020
  2. Holy_Geek Win User

Nvidia driver major issue in WINDOWS 10

It really feels bad when a well working PC shows abnormal behavior after having an upgrade which is highly in demand.

I would suggest all facing this issue to please UPDATE YOUR GRAPHICS DRIVER FROM WINDOWS UPDATE AND YOUR NVIDIA DRIVER FROM "NVIDIA WEBSITE" BEFORE WINSDOWS UPDATE INSTALLS THE NVIDIA DRIVER. THE LATESE NVIDIA DRIVER IS PRESENT IN ITS WEBSITE, SO
    PLEASE BE SPECIFIC WITH YOUR NVIDIA GRAPHICS CARD MODEL AND ITS DRIVER FOR WINDOWS 10.

Better keep the nvidia driver 353.63 windows 10 qualified driver downloaded and ready before upgrading. Hope everybody of you succeed in this process.

Holy_Geek, Nov 18, 2020
  3. Windows 10 ver. 2004 Compatibility Hold Nvidia GeForce Driver

Thanks for your response!

I was getting my information from https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/release-information/status-windows-10-2004

which shows the incompatibility problem as follows....

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Issue with older drivers for Nvidia display adapters (GPU)

Nvidia and Microsoft have found incompatibility issues with certain versions of Nvidia display adapter drivers and Windows 10, version 2004 (the Windows 10 May 2020 Update). Windows 10 devices with affected
    Nvidia display driver versions might receive a stop error with a blue screen or other issues during or after installing the update to Windows 10, version 2004. The affected drivers are any version lower than 358.00.

To safeguard your update experience, we have applied a compatibility hold on Windows 10 devices with affected Nvidia display drivers drivers installed from being offered Windows 10, version 2004 or Windows
    Server, version 2004 until the driver has been updated.

Affected platforms:
    • Client: Windows 10, version 2004
    • Server: Windows Server, version 2004

Workaround: To mitigate this issue, you will need to check with your device manufacturer (OEM) to see if an updated driver is available and install it.

Next steps: Microsoft and Nvidia are working on a resolution and will provide an update in an upcoming release.

Note We recommend that you do not attempt to manually update using the Update now button or the Media Creation Tool until this issue has been resolved.

______________________________________________________________________________________

.......my Nvidia Geforce driver is ver. 342.01, which is the latest release from Nvidia. As stated the affected drivers are any version lower than 358.00.

My question: Is there any information indicating a date that this might be resolved?

Thanks,

Ron

Ron &Lynn, Nov 18, 2020
  4. Major Nvidia graphics driver issues after 2004 update

2004 Update and Nvidia video cards

Hi,

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/release-information/status-windows-10-2004#418msgdesc

Issue with older drivers for Nvidia display adapters (GPU)

Nvidia and Microsoft have found incompatibility issues with certain versions of Nvidia display adapter drivers and Windows 10, version 2004 (the Windows 10 May 2020 Update). Windows 10 devices with affected Nvidia display driver versions might receive
    a stop error with a blue screen or other issues during or after installing the update to Windows 10, version 2004. The affected drivers are any version lower than 358.00.

To safeguard your update experience, we have applied a compatibility hold on Windows 10 devices with affected Nvidia display drivers drivers installed from being offered Windows 10, version 2004 or Windows Server, version 2004 until the driver has
    been updated.

Affected platforms:
    • Client: Windows 10, version 2004
    • Server: Windows Server, version 2004
    Workaround: To mitigate this issue, you will need to check with your device manufacturer (OEM) to see if an updated driver is available and install it.

Next steps: Microsoft and Nvidia are working on a resolution and will provide an update in an upcoming release.

Note We recommend that you do not attempt to manually update using the Update now button or the Media Creation Tool until this issue has been resolved.

Back to topN/A

Investigating

Last updated:

May 27, 2020

10:07 AM PT

Opened:

May 27, 2020

12:09 AM PT

Sumit - Insider MVP, Nov 18, 2020
Thema:

Major Nvidia graphics driver issues after 2004 update

1. Major Nvidia graphics driver issues after 2004 update - Similar Threads - Major Nvidia graphics

2. Windows not updating Nvidia graphic card/driver

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows not updating Nvidia graphic card/driver: Hello! So to start, today my computer looked very strange and upon further investigation, I realized that the resolution was set to 800 x 600. When I tried to change it, the max value was 1280 x 1024 for some inexplicable reason. I want to put it back into regular HD, but it...
  3. Windows update 2004 and conflict with Nvidia graphics

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows update 2004 and conflict with Nvidia graphics: I have contacted microsoft's technician on chat. It seems that microsoft updates cannot be deleted until installed. When 2004 installs I'm sure it will be back to the same problem. 2004 will delete after installation but may reappear as a download, anyway, and then I will...
  4. Unable to update NVidia graphics driver.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to update NVidia graphics driver.: I'm unable to properly update my graphics Driver. It is a NVidia RTX 2080. Within about 20% of the install the computer reboots. This is not normal. Normally the display will go black then come back and the installation will finish, but not reboot the computer in the process....
  5. NVidia graphics driver

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    NVidia graphics driver: I have a new computer with Nvidia card. At the beginning everything was fine but then I got the generic error 43. I reinstalled the drivers but it didn’t help https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/nvidia-graphics-driver/c318f02e-9762-418f-b8df-a28777ed67f9
  6. nvidia graphics issue..............

in Windows 10 Gaming
    nvidia graphics issue..............: I'm not able to switch on "add, run with a graphics processor, to desktop cortex". from the Nvidia control panel this option is found missing. and it's really hard to play games like this would any of you suggest me how to bring back that option....
  7. Windows repeatingly BSODs after issues with NVIDIA graphics driver updates

Windows repeatingly BSODs after issues with NVIDIA graphics driver updates: Yesterday, after playing FIFA 20 demo and having the game crash with supposedly GPU-related errors, I went to update my graphics drivers game ready driver via NVIDIA experience as I usually do. I installed the driver with the express option. My graphics card is NVIDIA GeForce...
  8. Size of this latest windows update and Nvidia graphic driver issue

Size of this latest windows update and Nvidia graphic driver issue: I want to know that what is the size of this latest windows update and my latest Nvidia graphics driver not install with this windows version( current windows 10 home ) if I update with this latest windows will my problem solve?...
  9. NVIDIA Graphics driver UPDATE and CRASHING issues? Try this...

NVIDIA Graphics driver UPDATE and CRASHING issues? Try this...: I have repeatedly attempted to update my Nvidia graphics drivers through the Nvidia Experience program that is designed to update the drivers. I have never had the program complete successfully once since I started using Windows 10 for the past several YEARS. I have...
  10. Issue with Nvidia graphics card after windows update

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Issue with Nvidia graphics card after windows update: Hi, forums I just updated my windows 10 to version 1803 and It has brought some issues. First, my HDMI port is not working, I am on a laptop btw so it's an integrated graphics card. I also can not access my Nvidia control panel because it gives me an error that says no...