Windows 10: major update still not complete after ~12 hours

Discus and support major update still not complete after ~12 hours in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Told me that it would take some time to complete but this is seems abnormal to me.. I think this is the 1703 update but I'm not sure. All I see is the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by chayes, Nov 16, 2017.

1. chayes Win User

major update still not complete after ~12 hours

Told me that it would take some time to complete but this is seems abnormal to me.. I think this is the 1703 update but I'm not sure. All I see is the spinning wheel. What can I do?

:)

chayes, Nov 16, 2017
  2. John 798 Win User

Major windows updates takes hours to complete.

Hello Further checking, have most likely found reason for losing UBS connections affecting key board and mouse etc.

And good news for you it is not windows 10 update but looks like caused by the GPS watch cradle I have could have a short circuit causing the computer to shut down the port used and any other port that is associated to that port.That is on a pair of ports
    shutting the one beside it as well. At one stage only 2 of the 6 ports was working.Fortunately I could plug in the mouse it one of those ports to shut down. On restarting the shut down ports appear to have reset and now operate normally.I did afew times each
    time the GPS watch cradle caused ports to become inactive.It is best to let you know and if other people have this problem with losing UBS ports check to see if a hard ware short has caused the problem.Up and running again until next time.

John 798, Nov 16, 2017
  3. John 798 Win User
    Major windows updates takes hours to complete.

Original Title[Windows 10 29th July update]

As usual with major updates with windows it takes hours to correct the changes it may do to other programs.

Firstly Locked me out from my email account provider for several hours, but could go to my account if through the internet

A use Thunderbird on my computer.

After afew hours using the computer with the new update , the computer said it had to close no chance to save anything.

On restarting it said I had to reinstall my base program from disc or other.

That was not acceptable to me so I got into repair . It said it was unable to repair.

But trying to restart afew times it started and the computer said it was repairing disc C.

In a while my computer was able to restart,I did know I had missing files that could not be repaired by using a scannow several months
    ago. so may account for the computer acting like this.

On the restart yes my email did work again but WINDOWS 10 update caused my email provider to send 555 DUPLICATE EMAIL FILES

Which took about 1hour to delete.

All was well until today

Starting my computer BUT WINDOWS 10 ANNIVERSARY UPDATE LOCKED ME OUT OF MY PHOTO EDITING PROGRAM ACD 9 ULTIMATE

When trying to open ACD9Ultimate 64bit The fault said that the program was not authorised to open the data base

And mentioned to check C USERS /Name.../App Data/ACD systems/catalogs/90ult/Default existed

On checking that description so clicked for previous versions and restored last version BEFORE WINDOWS 10 ANNIVERSARY UPDATE CHANGED THE DEFAULT SETTINGS.

By restarting the computer I am able now to get into that particular program. but A do not know when I restart the computer next time if Windows10 Anniversay update will change the default again.Just a note I have earlier versions on ACD photo editing
    on my computer they appear not to be affected they are all 32 bit programs.

I have put theses comments in because of the possible solution used on ACD9ultimate may be appropiate to unlock other effected programs

To Finish off I have yet to find the other werd and wonderful happenings in other programs yet, Apart from previous versions wiping out Desk top gadgets and stop me printing when I have used older Program changing my photo defaults to the very basic
    wi
    ndows version changing my pdfs file to windows edge Etc Etc Etc........Where it is GOOD IT IS VERY GOOD GOOD, where it is BAD it is just a great time waster to correct.I dread each time a new major update comes because several hours work
    is coming up.

John 798, Nov 16, 2017
  4. major update still not complete after ~12 hours

Hi chayes. Welcome to the TenForums @chayes

If it has been running that long it is stuck. Not much you can do but say a few words in Latin and hold the power off key. Let it shut right down, say 30 seconds and then power on.

Post back what happened and what version build you are now on.

Windows key + R, type winver, enter

Good luck

Ken

Caledon Ken, Nov 16, 2017
  5. chayes Win User
    That worked. Appreciate the advice. *Biggrin

chayes, Nov 16, 2017
  6. So what version build are you now on?

Ken

Caledon Ken, Nov 17, 2017
  7. chayes Win User

eta - Whatever problem I was experiencing resolved itself very quickly after the power down/up. It's not like it was stuck early in the process.

chayes, Nov 17, 2017
  8. major update still not complete after ~12 hours

Nice. A happy ending. Thought it may have fallen back.

Caledon Ken, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

major update still not complete after ~12 hours

1. major update still not complete after ~12 hours - Similar Threads - major update still

2. As of the last 12? hours, Microsoft Store is completely broken IMO

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    As of the last 12? hours, Microsoft Store is completely broken IMO: Hello follks,Background: Win10 Pro on Dell XPS 13 9370.Over the last day, Windows Store updates went from working to not working downloads OK, installing ALWAYS gives error code 0x80070005I know this is a well known error code. I class myself as a 9/10 on Windows internals...
  3. Chkdsk /f /r 100% complete, but on still state 12+hours

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Chkdsk /f /r 100% complete, but on still state 12+hours: Hello Community, After a Q-code A5 on my Mainboard I use the Chkdsk/f /r on Cmd to check my SSD. After the command I restarted my system and the Check up started automatically. The control phase1-5 took around 25-30min and after that I got the "Harddrive C: check and repair:...
  4. Update stuck on 30% for over 12 hours

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Update stuck on 30% for over 12 hours: Hi, I received a notification that my version of windows 10 needed to be updated. I restarted my PC as instructed at approximately 10pm. By 2am, the update was at 30%. It has remained on this for the last 12 hours. Do I just let it continue and see if the update finishes or...
  5. Windows 10 update taking 12+ hours

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 update taking 12+ hours: Hello everyone. My system (Dell Inspiron 5577) has been updating to Windows 10 April (or May, confused here) 2020 (Insider Program, Slow Ring) since the last 12 hours. It occasionally restarts but it's extremely slow and has been stuck at 90% since the last 3-4 hours. I'm...
  6. Windows 10 update still at 91% after 12 hours !?

Windows 10 update still at 91% after 12 hours !?: Hi , I was on my laptop last night and a update for windows 10 popped up so i got it going and normally thay dont take too long but its been over 12 hours at 91 % complete. im heading out to work and when i get back if its still stuck at that point it will be nearly 24 hours....
  7. Sticky Notes Problem after Major Update 4 hours ago

Sticky Notes Problem after Major Update 4 hours ago: The Chat "Helper" vanished, along with my Question, so it's here now: You vanished and lost my question. Got the BiiiG update to Win10Pro x64 today. Sticky Note Problem: I had 32 Sticky Notes on the Desktop, some had vanished (down to 11 Stickynotes) I closed Sticy...
  8. 12 hour update

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    12 hour update: I hibernated in the evening. When I tried to wake up the computer in the morning, it began an update. I recall seeing no messages, but the disk light came on continuously. I waited until bored then switched to an alternative computer. An hour later it still was not done, but...
  9. Mouse settings still not saving after Windows 10 major update

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Mouse settings still not saving after Windows 10 major update: I was more than disappointed to find after downloading this major update for Windows 10, that the Mouse settings have still not been addressed. Apparently, this is one of those flaws that will go on and on. I am using an ASUS Rupublic of Games Laptop with an ELAN Input...
  10. Update 100% complete -- for 8 hours)

in Windows 10 Support
    Update 100% complete -- for 8 hours): Installing a win 10 update into wife's alienware 17. Download ok. Install ok (though it takes a LONG time). Restart starts on orange screen telling us 1% - 2% etc. you know how it goes. In the process it changes to a black screen and comes to update 100% complete. The cute...