Windows 10: Major Windows 10 Updates Keep Changing my Registry Settings, Driver Settings, and More

Discus and support Major Windows 10 Updates Keep Changing my Registry Settings, Driver Settings, and More in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Upon updating to the most recent version of Windows 10 Pro for Workstation 2004, a lot of changes that I have previously made to the registry either... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by MatthewChops, Jun 23, 2020.

1. Major Windows 10 Updates Keep Changing my Registry Settings, Driver Settings, and More

Upon updating to the most recent version of Windows 10 Pro for Workstation 2004, a lot of changes that I have previously made to the registry either get changed or completely deleted. One I know right off of the top of my head are "Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\WaitToKillServiceTimeout". I have explicitly added this key before, and I don't know why this key, along with many others I have made in the past get deleted. Another thing that happens is that my graphics options can get changed that were in the Nvidia control panel, such as the "Output dynamic range" setting for my monitor being changed from "Full" to "Limited", which is another setting I explicitly set. The day I updated to this new version I had to revert back to the previous version with a full system image I created before the update to keep all my changes that I have made previously. I ask this, why is it whenever a major update gets released, many settings in my registry, driver options, sometimes even group policy, get modified, reset, or deleted? How can I prevent this? I refuse to update to the latest version if these major system wide changes happen after every large update. I understand things change with updates, but this is the fourth time now that a major update has changed these settings, all of which seem to revert the same types of settings/keys I list here.

:)

MatthewChops, Jun 23, 2020
  2. BunnyJ Win User

Update to version 1511 build 10586 changed lots of settings...

With 10 when a major update comes down it's like restarting the OS from scratch and the settings will go back to as they would be from a fresh instillation. All custom settings will be reset and this is not going to change in the future. All I can suggest is keep a list of what needs to be redone and automate as much as possible.

BunnyJ, Jun 23, 2020
  3. Sound card amplification settings

Yeah unfortunately ASUS and Realtek are not stepping up and fixing this it seems. Wherever I see such problems mentioned on forums some users are suggesting just uninstalling the Realtek driver and using the Windows audio driver.

Frag Maniac, Jun 23, 2020
  4. dalchina Win User

Major Windows 10 Updates Keep Changing my Registry Settings, Driver Settings, and More

Changes made in Registry, Services or Settings not saving

Hi, suggestions:
    1. Disable Fast startup.
    How do I enable or disable fast startup?

• Type Control Panel in the search box.
    • Click Control Panel.
    • Click Power Options.
    • Click Choose what the power buttons do.
    • Click Change settings that are currently unavailable.
    • Scroll down to Shutdown settings and uncheck Turn on fast startup.
    • Click Save changes.

2. There have been cases where an old version 3rd party program has caused settings to revert on rebooting. E.g. winzip, albeit when setting file type association defaults.
    3. Registry permissions problems.
    You could try Tweaking.com's free cautious repair tool, selecting only the relevant registry permissions repair.

You might also compare results when working in Safe Mode.

For more: Google search
    registry change revert on reboot
    gives many results.

dalchina, Jun 23, 2020
Thema:

Major Windows 10 Updates Keep Changing my Registry Settings, Driver Settings, and More

1. Major Windows 10 Updates Keep Changing my Registry Settings, Driver Settings, and More - Similar Threads - Major Updates Keep

2. Registry setting keeps reverting

in Windows 10 Customization
    Registry setting keeps reverting: We don't use UAC and I normally turn off when I build the machines.but I also have a script that runs New-ItemProperty -Path HKLM:Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\policies\system -Name EnableLUA -PropertyType DWord -Value 0 -ForceWe have also had issues with usb...
  3. Registry setting keeps reverting

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Registry setting keeps reverting: We don't use UAC and I normally turn off when I build the machines.but I also have a script that runs New-ItemProperty -Path HKLM:Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\policies\system -Name EnableLUA -PropertyType DWord -Value 0 -ForceWe have also had issues with usb...
  4. Registry setting keeps reverting

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Windows Updates Keeps Changing my settings

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Updates Keeps Changing my settings: Please help me. Each time Windows makes an update, I lose all of my settings and desktop files. In addition, my taskbar items are deleted and replaced with Microsoft Edge, Microsoft Store, etc. What can I do to prevent this from happening? I have paused updates but when it...
  6. Windows Updates Keeps Changing my settings

Windows Updates Keeps Changing my settings: Please help me. Each time Windows makes an update, I lose all of my settings and desktop files. In addition, my taskbar items are deleted and replaced with Microsoft Edge, Microsoft Store, etc. What can I do to prevent this from happening? I have paused updates but when it...
  7. Windows Updates Keeps Changing my settings

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  8. Windows 10 Major Updates Resetting My Settings

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 Major Updates Resetting My Settings: Why is it exactly that every time Windows 10 has a "major update", all of my carefully set settings are wiped out and reset??? Let me first point out that this is NOT the same as some of the other posts on this site, where the system has created a copy of the profile...
  9. Windows 10 Updates causing major changes to my settings.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 Updates causing major changes to my settings.: I am aware that this is not a new issue but I need to make my view known in this discussion. Given the security issues with windows 7 , I upgraded my laptop to windows 10 Pro version. I spent some time getting the settings the way I need them for my use of the laptop. I...
  10. 10 updates keep changing my coreldraw settings

10 updates keep changing my coreldraw settings: Hey All--Each time Windows 10 updates--I lose features of my CorelDraw x5 software, fonts disappear, can't minimize some windows, etc. any ideas out there , *Sick 97850