Windows 10: Make a drive ask for password before installing an application?

Discus and support Make a drive ask for password before installing an application? in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; So, a little context: We have five public gaming computers wich is free to use. The computers are running a 120 GB SSD (C:) with windows 10 and a 2... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by VJK, Jun 22, 2016.

1. VJK
    VJK Win User

Make a drive ask for password before installing an application?

So, a little context:
    We have five public gaming computers wich is free to use. The computers are running a 120 GB SSD (CMake a drive ask for password before installing an application? :) with windows 10 and a 2 TB HDD (DMake a drive ask for password before installing an application? :) wich is primaly used for installing games. They are set up with noe administrator user and a guest user wich is used for the "public".

Now to the problem:
    We have all the Gaming library's installed (steam, origin, battle.net .....) wich people can log inn to and install games. We have set the default installation path to D: on all applitacions, but that doesn't stop people from installing stuff on the C: drive. This means that in a month time the C: drive is full, and we need to spend a lot of time uninstalling all the stuff form the C: drive.

The Question:
    The best way of dealing with this (wich i can come up with) would be to set a form of password protection on the C: drive that prevent users form installing stuff on the C: drive. I have been looking a lot for a solution, but not a solution wich would work in this senario. I want the need for a password ONLY when someone try to install something on he C: drive. Windows and programs sould still be able to make changes without disturbing the user.

Is this something that is possible, or even exists? Would realy appreciate an anwser to this problem, or even a solutin.

:)

2. How to make windows phone 10 ask for sim before calling

Hi,

We would like to ask a few questions to better assist you.

• What is the model of your phone?
    • Which OS build version is currently running on your phone? To check it, go to
      Settings> about> more information.

Regards.

Justin Sor, Jun 22, 2016
  3. How to make windows phone 10 ask for sim before calling

I have a windows phone and recently when I started using it with the dual sim facility I have noticed that it does not ask about which sim to call from as in android which I used before switching. However since I was unaware of this before making a couple
    of calls it incurred me some unexpected charges. Is there some way to make the phone ask for which sim to use for a particular call. I am a bit confused

suhridmulay, Jun 22, 2016
  4. LMiller7 Win User

Welcome to the forum.

I don't believe this is possible. Only an admin level account can install software and by design this is the highest level user account in the system. Attempting to limit such an account is an exercise in futility. All admin level accounts are equal. Anything setting or change made by one admin user can be reversed or changed by another admin user. This is by design.

Any solution would rely on the ignorance of the users, not of any password but the ability to do some relatively basic things.

A hardware based solution would be conceivable but I have never heard of such.

LMiller7, Jun 22, 2016
Thema:

1. Make a drive ask for password before installing an application? - Similar Threads - drive ask password

2. Users are asked for the admin password when installing programs, how do I make it ask for...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Users are asked for the admin password when installing programs, how do I make it ask for...: help pls^^ https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/users-are-asked-for-the-admin-password-when/5fe02195-2020-4601-adf8-e5883753d6e8
  3. Users are asked for the admin password when installing programs, how do I make it ask for...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Users are asked for the admin password when installing programs, how do I make it ask for...: help pls^^ https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/users-are-asked-for-the-admin-password-when/5fe02195-2020-4601-adf8-e5883753d6e8
  4. How to make app not asking for administration password?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to make app not asking for administration password?: When I use resource monitor it constantly ask for admin password. What I need to do to make it stop asking for password in future? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-make-app-not-asking-for-administration/cb352d1f-f14d-40f4-8357-e2343b1c5bc3
  5. How to make app not asking for administration password?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to make app not asking for administration password?: When I use resource monitor it constantly ask for admin password. What I need to do to make it stop asking for password in future? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-make-app-not-asking-for-administration/cb352d1f-f14d-40f4-8357-e2343b1c5bc3
  6. How to make app not asking for administration password?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  7. Adavance options under Troubleshoot asking for password before every options. Password...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Adavance options under Troubleshoot asking for password before every options. Password...: Hi My pc didn't boot I got error 101 Initialisation error. After that I tried automatic repair but that did not work.The next option for me was to go for Advance option and then Troubleshoot. Under Troubleshoot every option viz Startup Repair, Command prompt, System restore...
  8. Make Win 10 ask me before deleting Malware

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Make Win 10 ask me before deleting Malware: Hi All, I'm playing around with Pen-Testing tools. In some cases, Windows 10 automatically removes the tools that I'm using since the AV detects them as malware. Is there a way to make the Microsoft antivirus ask me "what should I do?" for every detection instead of...
  9. ask before opening a drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    ask before opening a drive: Set Windows 10 to ask before opening storage drives. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/ask-before-opening-a-drive/765979ba-cde5-4435-88b5-8228a58cd5e7"
  10. new upgrade hangs just before asking for password

in Windows 10 Support
    new upgrade hangs just before asking for password: I just upgraded my neighbor's computer from 7 to 10. All went well EXCEPT for a small glitch. I set it up without a password and it boots to desktop really fast. Upon her checking it out she wanted me to set up a password to keep her children from logging on to it. I did. The...