Windows 10: Make a list of empty folders

Discus and support Make a list of empty folders in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi I want to make a spreadsheet of (the full path statements of) all empty folders on a drive (external, USB). I have googled and found 4 or 5... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by BobSter2, Jul 3, 2021.

1. BobSter2 Win User

Make a list of empty folders

Hi I want to make a spreadsheet of (the full path statements of) all empty folders on a drive (external, USB). I have googled and found 4 or 5 suggestions on how to do this, but couldn't get any of them to work. - - - Alternatively, some kind of DIR statement that gives the Path statements (of folders, not files) suffixed with EITHER the Number-of-Files OR the Size-in-KB for each folder. Those two/three fields preferably on the same line, with some kind of delineator, so I can dump it into a spreadsheet and filter out anything non-zero. e.g. E:\First Level, Folder 1\Second Level, Folder 1\ 246 56KB E:\First Level, Folder 1\Second Level, Folder 2\ 97,843 1,864KB E:\First Level, Folder 1\Second Level, Folder 3\ 0 0KB Karen's Directory Printer utility would usually do this, but it bombs-out if the task is too big. I am aware that there are utilities that will find and delete folders, but I haven't found one that will output a list. Windows 10 Home, latest.

:)

BobSter2, Jul 3, 2021
  2. enso Win User

Quick Access not searching Pictures folder

Summary, that last suggestion didn't work.

• I moved the pictures to another folder temporarily.

• Since there were no troubleshooting steps for this scenario, just for the heck of it, I ran through the restore steps. Copied some pictures into the Pictures folder, ran a Quick Access search and initial problem remains: Searching all of QA doesn't find any files in Pictures folder, running search on just the Pictures folder does. I want to run a global search and find matching files in any/all of the Documents, Music, Videos, and Pictures folders.
    That article dates from 2015 and I'm guessing is out of date. I hope it didn't create potential future problems in my registry.

Bottom line: I'm still looking for a fix.

enso, Jul 3, 2021
  3. dalchina Win User
    Make list of files in a folder

My impression is that what he wants is a list he can click on. To me that suggests creating one folder with shortcuts to the items in the various media folders.

And perhaps Motim wants that to be a dynamic list- i.e. always up to date with respect to changing content in those folders.

If so, this could be done using Autohotkey, with a script which scans through the files in each folder in turn and for each file use this command to create a shortcut:

Make a list of empty folders [​IMG]

Motim?

dalchina, Jul 3, 2021
  4. White Win User

List file names than a folder.

Is there a bat file to generate the list of file names that I have inside a folder?
    If possible you can help me to do it or give me suggestions. Thanks in advance.

Please.

White, Jul 3, 2021
Thema:

1. Make a list of empty folders - Similar Threads - list empty folders

2. Empty folders

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Empty folders: I uploaded folders and files to OneDrive to save them because my laptop needed a new motherboard and would be factory reset. Now I'm trying to get the items back on to my laptop but OneDrive says the folders are empty?In Files Explorer, I can see a cloud beside the items I...
  3. Empty folders

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Empty folders: I uploaded folders and files to OneDrive to save them because my laptop needed a new motherboard and would be factory reset. Now I'm trying to get the items back on to my laptop but OneDrive says the folders are empty?In Files Explorer, I can see a cloud beside the items I...
  4. Empty folders

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Empty Folders

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Empty Folders: I have a number of empty folders that I'd like to clean up in my music directory. In Windows 11, I can no longer search for 0 byte folders. How to remove them automatically?There are a number of freeware tools out there, none I've found work for Windows 11. This should be...
  6. How to make list of files in a folder?

in Windows 10 Support
    How to make list of files in a folder?: Can someone please tell me How to make list of files in a folder using cmd? Thanks. 163333
  7. Empty startup list

in Windows 10 Customization
    Empty startup list: there is nothing in task manager, MSconfig, and in Windows 10 settings but I found it in ccleaner how to fix it? [ATTACH] [ATTACH] sorry for bad english https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/empty-startup-list/9a575b2f-6428-4b5c-8c3e-fddf46928bf9
  8. This folder is empty

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    This folder is empty: Hi guys, We have a Windows 10 Pro computer that for some reason seems to lose it's files on any attached USB drives. At the moment if I select properties of the USB drive I see that the USB drive has 92GB used, but opening the USB drive itself all the folders are there...
  9. Empty Folders

in Windows 10 Support
    Empty Folders: Hello, While making some search for a file in the system, I found by the way, hundreds of empty folders in the C:\users\admin\appdata\local\temp\ How about deleting them ? Thanks 72628
  10. Make list of files in a folder

in Windows 10 Support
    Make list of files in a folder: Hello,I have several hundreds video clips (mp4), arranged in several folders.Wanted to make a list of them, not to print, just a list in the computer.On some site I found this: To write in the address line of the browser the full path to thatfolder and Enter, the list was...