Windows 10: Make a new partition

Discus and support Make a new partition in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Is there a program to idvide the C partioin into 2 partitions? I don't understand the new partions (system, recovery...) schem in WIN 10 I used to do... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by KarolR, Feb 5, 2019.

1. KarolR Win User

Make a new partition

Is there a program to idvide the C partioin into 2 partitions?
    I don't understand the new partions (system, recovery...) schem in WIN 10
    I used to do it easilly on XP with Partition Magic, but now....

:)

KarolR, Feb 5, 2019
  2. W1zzard Win User

W7 Hard drive partition issue

to get rid of that 100 meg windows partition that setup creates for you on a new install on a blank hdd:

- press shift+f10 when on the partition management screen in setup <-- this opens a command prompt
    - diskpart <-- start the windows command line partition management tool
    - list disk <--- list the installed hdds in this computer for the next step
    - select disk 0 <- might have to replace 0 with the number of the correct disk
    - clean <-- this will erase all data on the disk you selected one step up- dont use the wrong disk!
    - create partition primary <- creates a primary partition taking up all space on the drive, adjust the command if necessary
    - exit, exit to exit diskpart and the command prompt
    - click refresh in partition manager and select your newly created partition and install to that

W1zzard, Feb 5, 2019
  3. FX-GMC Win User
    Move Win7 64 image from a partition NTFS to a new drive

EDIT: After reading your first post again, is there any reason that you would now need GPT? Are you just trying to move the windows install to a new disk or is there a new motherboard involved?

If you are already booting to an NTFS partition, then it makes me wonder if after copying to the new drive, the partition isn't getting marked as Active.

Following the same steps I posted above for startup repair, you can get to a command prompt and use diskpart to see if this is the case.

Code: In the command prompt: diskpart list disk select disk 0 (disk number may be different if you have other disks connected.) list partition select partition 0 (partition number number may vary, but you want to see the boot partition which is the same as your windows partition according to the screenshot on the OP) detail partition (This should have Active: Yes or No. If it says no, since we have the partition selected, you can just use the following command in diskpart) active[/quote]

FX-GMC, Feb 5, 2019
  4. Eric Ber Win User

Make a new partition

New partitions appear in my device (laptop)

Hi,

There are several reasons why a new partition appear in your laptop. To assist you better, kindly answer the questions below:

• Have you made any changes prior to this issue?
    • What other troubleshooting steps have you done so far?
    • Can you send us a screenshot where you see the new partition?

Regards.

Eric Ber, Feb 5, 2019
Thema:

Make a new partition

1. Make a new partition - Similar Threads - partition

2. Inconsistent booting issues and related disk partitioning issues

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Inconsistent booting issues and related disk partitioning issues: I've been having inconsistent booting issues where sometimes it will boot to BIOS and then I'll select the C: drive I want to boot from and it works fine. Othertimes, it just boots normally. I've expiriemtns with different UEFI on/off settings and ordered the drives how I...
  3. PARTITIONING

PARTITIONING: Hi! I would like to ask where will the local disk (C:) be located (picture below) is it in the system reserved or primary? [ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/partitioning/dd7ad22a-99bd-4b08-be70-26e44302e15a
  4. macrium reflect shrink partition

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    macrium reflect shrink partition: I'm using macrium reflect free making images of my ssd and hdd together in one file. My ssd is 256 Gbyte.(one C: partition) If I install a new 250Gbyte ssd wiil the reflect restore process after drag and drop the c: partition from the old ssd to the new ssd in the restore...
  5. BitLocker Data Partition unlock on boot

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    BitLocker Data Partition unlock on boot: I am getting a laptop with Windows 10 Pro. I will be reducing the system partition and add another partition D: for data. Then i would move all user folders including Desktop to D: drive I want to protect the D drive with BitLocker so that if laptop is stolen my data is...
  6. Mini Tool Partition Wizzard & McAfee

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Mini Tool Partition Wizzard & McAfee: I noticed that when doing an update to Mini Tool Partition Wizard, that McAfee Web Advisor will try and install along with it if you don't uncheck it first. Did an Adobe Flash update yesterday and McAfee Web advisor tried to install with it also. *Eek 127216
  7. What does "encrypting windows partition" mean in Veracrypt?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    What does "encrypting windows partition" mean in Veracrypt?: I am using a test drive with Win 10, it's an ssd-500gb. I ask because it is taking 75 minutes to encrypt. Is it encrypting most of the drive, or just a small partition? Veracrypt will not allow for whole drive encryption, it defaults to Windows partition only. 127164
  8. System reserved partition on HDD, not SSD where Windows is installed

System reserved partition on HDD, not SSD where Windows is installed: More or less in the title. I wanted to encrypt my drive with Veracrypt, and found out that the partition Windows boots from is on my hard drive, where I keep things I don't want on my SSD, instead of on my SSD. Is there any way to move the partition to my SSD that doesn't...
  9. Unable to create Hard disk partition

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Unable to create Hard disk partition: I brought new laptop from store, genuine windows 10 already installed. when I tried to create new partition in C Drive by shrinking volume, window appears says available volume for shrink is zero. Disk is of 2TB and only 5% is occupied. help me to fix this issue. how can I...
  10. Quick Access shows additional partitions

in Windows 10 Customization
    Quick Access shows additional partitions: I open Quick Access and see a lot of partition which I shouldn’t see when the system works in a normal way. Specifically I see local SSD (C:), DVD (F:), Ext HD (G:), Disc Image (J:); Windows recovery (D:) etc. How to remove them? They are always loading screens when I need...