Windows 10: Make audio output mono

Discus and support Make audio output mono in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; [ATTACH] How do I make it so that the audio output is mono?... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/36_foxtrot, Jan 6, 2021.

1. Make audio output mono

/u/36_foxtrot, Jan 6, 2021
  2. wb0gaz Win User

Mono audio (ease of access) plus Listen to Microphone (audio control)

I wish to have my Windows 10 (20H2) machine listen to microphone (relay audio from sound input device to sound output device) and be in Mono audio mode (combine left and right input sound streams and send the combined result to both left and right output sound stream) at start-up.

The "Turn on Mono" setting does not appear to take effect until after an (any?) application using windows sound is started. The "listen to microphone" setting IS in effect at start-up (however, the audio flow is still stereo, which is not intended.)

Here is the step-by-step:

1. Start Windows 10, no audio-based application running
    2. Ease of Access > Audio > Turn on Mono
    3. Sound Control Panel > Recording > (double click on) Microphone > Listen > [x] Listen to this Device

4. Reboot.

5. At this point, the "Turn on Mono" setting does not appear to be in effect (left and right audio channels are still distinct)

6. Start (any) windows sound application

7. At this point, the "Turn on Mono" setting DOES appear to be in effect (left and right channels are merged at input, and the merged audio is presented to both left and right audio outputs)

8. Stop the windows sound application

9. At this point, the "Turn on Mono" setting DOES appear to be in effect (left and right channels are merged at input, and the merged audio is presented to both left and right audio outputs)

Repeatable beginning at step 4.

I imagine this is not intended behavior, and I'm wondering if it's an oversight in Windows 10?

Thanks for any advice or attempts to duplicate this sequence.

Dave

wb0gaz, Jan 6, 2021
  3. How to default mono audio output for all users (Windows 10)

I have a conference room PC connected to a speaker that outputs audio in mono only.

When playing stereo audio, half the content comes through. I can change the output to mono to fix the issue in the ease of access settings.

The problem that I'm trying to solve is that this is a per user setting. Several different people will log into this PC and give presentations with video/sound, and would need to toggle the mono option on.

Is there a registry setting (or other method) to default the audio to mono for any user that logs in?

Any insight is appreciated, thank you.

Vincent.Perez, Jan 6, 2021
  4. Make audio output mono

Headphones only outputting audio in mono

Hello,

I'd like to play Stereo audio when my headphones are plugged in to my 3.5mm audio port, but they are only outputting in Mono. Stereo works when using them through Bluetooth, but I often use them wired and would like them to play Stereo properly that way
    as well.

System specifications:

Windows 10 64 bit home

3.5mm Audio jack

Realtek Audio

JBL live 650btnc-le headphones

My audio drivers are all up to date.

The "mono" audio option in Ease of Access is turned off.

Turning audio enhancements on or off in the properties menu doesn't solve the problem.

Restarting the computer doesn't solve the problem.

Any help would be appreciated.

Tyler Cernak, Jan 6, 2021
Thema:

Make audio output mono

1. Make audio output mono - Similar Threads - audio output mono

2. Using the output jack as a mono input

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Using the output jack as a mono input: Is there a driver that exists that will allow the headphone output jack to be switched to take an input signal? this would be similar to an audio interface taking in a microphone signal and allowing for it to be recorded into a DAW. I Know mac used to allow this feature. It...
  3. Using the output jack as a mono input

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Using the output jack as a mono input: Is there a driver that exists that will allow the headphone output jack to be switched to take an input signal? this would be similar to an audio interface taking in a microphone signal and allowing for it to be recorded into a DAW. I Know mac used to allow this feature. It...
  4. Audio output

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Audio output: I have my hdmi connected to both my laptop and monotor the screen is on the monitor but the audio is coming out of the laptop https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/audio-output/9c6fe9d1-82ac-473c-8174-42b8c696740d
  5. Mono audio troubles

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Mono audio troubles: Hi, I’ve been having some problems with the audio in my pc... it seems as though no matter what I do it’s always mono audio. The mono audio setting is off and the realtek audio console is no help to this issue at all. When I turn my main volume slider in the Realtek console...
  6. Making Bluetooth headphones the audio output device

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Making Bluetooth headphones the audio output device: I finally got my Bluetooth headphones to connect to my PC Windows 10 but I'm not getting any sound through them. When I try to change my audio output device to them, I don't see them listed. I do see them under Bluetooth devices in Device Manager....
  7. audio output

audio output: audio output dropped off after w10 update https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/audio-output/9fed22c2-572d-493d-a9e5-5bc7dd888803
  8. Can't Record Mono Audio

in Windows 10 Customization
    Can't Record Mono Audio: Hello! I'll try and make this short. I'm trying to record mono audio from my microphone, but it only records the left I did the following: I went to Control Panel > Hardware and Sound > Sound > Recording > and then I chose the microphone I'm using. When I select it and...
  9. Headphones only outputting audio in mono

Headphones only outputting audio in mono: Hello, I'd like to play Stereo audio when my headphones are plugged in to my 3.5mm audio port, but they are only outputting in Mono. Stereo works when using them through Bluetooth, but I often use them wired and would like them to play Stereo properly that way as well....
  10. Stereo/mono output per device

Stereo/mono output per device: I've got an old laptop with one damaged speaker that doesn't output any sound. I've found the mono audio setting in the accessibility settings, but that's system-wide. I want to be able to still get stereo audio from the headphone jack or HDMI, but I can't find anything in...