Windows 10: Make Excel display text in a column's cells based on the presence of text in neighboring cells

Discus and support Make Excel display text in a column's cells based on the presence of text in neighboring cells in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; 1-21-19 I have seen some discussions relating to this question that involve formulae that result in text appearing in a column's cells based on the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by GBG0421, Jan 21, 2019.

1. GBG0421 Win User

Make Excel display text in a column's cells based on the presence of text in neighboring cells

1-21-19

I have seen some discussions relating to this question that involve formulae that result in text appearing in a column's cells based on the findings of a numerical value in a neighboring cell, or the converse-- a numerical value is made to appear based on a formula hunting for specific neighboring text. My problem is slightly different but should be analogous. Warning: I'm a novice and not sophisticated about the application of functions and formulae in Excel, which I anticipate almost surely will be offered by anyone trying to help me:

I have a spreadsheet a few thousand entries long in which I want a specific fragment of text to be appear, say, in column B if a longer line of text in column A contains that fragment, or contains related text.

For example, if the cell in column A contains "Jack-Jill-Bob", I might want the neighboring cell in column B to display "Jill". Or if Column A contains the phrase "Smoking is hazardous to your health" I might want the neighboring cell in column B to display "Don't smoke!"

Neither of these examples are actually among my needs-- the first important point is that the text I want displayed may or may not literally be present in the column being searched. The second important point is that I have about a dozen or more such "IF-->THEN" situations I need to apply the formula to (i. e., I want about twelve different pieces of text displayed depending on which of about twelve pieces of text are encountered in the search.) Third, there are no numerical data either in what is being searched for or what will be displayed.

Fourth, rather than writing a complicated formula in which all twelve or more situations are dealt with at once (which I suppose could be accomplished by many of the adept users who see this question) I'm happy to use a less ambitious formula about twelve times, each time entering different values into it, both for the searched text and for the resulting text.

Thanks so much in advance to anyone willing to help.

:)

GBG0421, Jan 21, 2019
  2. DavidY Win User

MS Excel - Sorting text cells

1. Insert a blank column next to the one with your numbers 1,1a etc
    2. In that new column use a formula which is Code:
      Code:
      =""&A2
      where A2 is the cell reference of the first value in the catalogue numbers column (in my example it's in the first column)
    3. copy that formula down to all rows
    4. Add a title to the top of the new column, eg. 'Sorter'
    5. Select all the data range, and from the Data bit of the Ribbon, select the Sort option (not using an Autofilter), and select to sort on the new Sorter column
    6. You should get a dialog popping up saying the sort key may not sort as expected because it contains some numbers formatted as text. In this, choose the option to 'Sort numbers and numbers stored as text separately'.
    This should sort in the order 1,1a,1b,2,2a etc.

DavidY, Jan 21, 2019
  3. Formatting Cells in Excel - Windows Phone

Missing "must have" features of "Excel Mobile" (Windows Phone 8.1):

• Add/Remove Row
    • Add/Remove Column
    • Remove highlight color
    • Change font color to black/auto

... specially this is annoying: changing the text color of a cell from auto/black to red (for example). There exists no way to change it back to the previous color (black/auto)...

Harald-René Flasch (Sorex), Jan 21, 2019
  4. 95Viper Win User

Make Excel display text in a column's cells based on the presence of text in neighboring cells

95Viper, Jan 21, 2019
Thema:

1. Make Excel display text in a column's cells based on the presence of text in neighboring cells - Similar Threads - Excel display text

2. Number problem in Excel cell

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Number problem in Excel cell: When, I enter a number in one cell,then I enter into another cell.On that time the first cell number become into decimal.example likeex.in Frist cell I enter 25 then I changed cell second one,but the first one became 0.25 like this ,what can I do now ,i think any settings...
  3. Number problem in Excel cell

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Number problem in Excel cell: When, I enter a number in one cell,then I enter into another cell.On that time the first cell number become into decimal.example likeex.in Frist cell I enter 25 then I changed cell second one,but the first one became 0.25 like this ,what can I do now ,i think any settings...
  4. How do I paste text from a pdf into ONE excel cell, not multiple?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I paste text from a pdf into ONE excel cell, not multiple?: Hello,I tried to paste a paragraph of text from a PDF into ONE excel cell but it's pasting it into multiple. What do I do to fix this?I tried wrapping text, exiting and reopening the file and nothings working.PLEASE HELP this is a work project that's due friday, If Im at the...
  5. How do I paste text from a pdf into ONE excel cell, not multiple?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I paste text from a pdf into ONE excel cell, not multiple?: Hello,I tried to paste a paragraph of text from a PDF into ONE excel cell but it's pasting it into multiple. What do I do to fix this?I tried wrapping text, exiting and reopening the file and nothings working.PLEASE HELP this is a work project that's due friday, If Im at the...
  6. Cannot select text in one specific cell in Excel 365

in Windows 10 Customization
    Cannot select text in one specific cell in Excel 365: Am trying to select text in a cell in Excel365 to change it to strikethru but cannot select it by any means - double click just moves the cursor - SHIFT Arrow left/right does the same. I can delete it, but not select it. Other cells work correctly. Any ideas?...
  7. Cell formulas in excel spreadsheets

in Windows 10 Customization
    Cell formulas in excel spreadsheets: Can someone help me to I presume clear formatting in cells. I'm entering a column of numbers in this case planting space guides for vegetables and every once in awhile a random cell will revert to a date. For example, if you look down the column you see 15-30, 40-50, Oct-15...
  8. coping text from a excel cell to another excel cell

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    coping text from a excel cell to another excel cell: I am trying to copy text from one excel to another excel cell automatically on the same worksheet https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/coping-text-from-a-excel-cell-to-another-excel/5a272c74-33e6-457c-82f8-3ae3196e8f81"
  9. Excel copy and paste cell to non adjacent cell in Apple

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Excel copy and paste cell to non adjacent cell in Apple: In windows Excel to copy and paste to a non adjacent cell press the control key and move the cusor to the edge of the cell and you get an arrow with a plus sign to move the contents to another cell. On my Apple computer I cannot get an arrow to appear when I select the cell....
  10. MS Excel - Sorting text cells

in Microsoft Office and 365
    MS Excel - Sorting text cells: I am entering stamp collection catalogue "numbers" in a spreadsheet column. However, I am having problems sorting the stamps properly. For example: stamps 1, 2, 3, 1a, 2a, 3a should be sorted as 1, 1a, 2, 2a, 3, 3a. I know I am doing something wrong because I keep getting the...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. excel if display text in column

2. display text using cells excel

3. excel display column as text