Windows 10: Make Google Default Search in IE??

Discus and support Make Google Default Search in IE?? in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; I have the update installed--- [img] Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by musiclover7, May 19, 2015.

1. Make Google Default Search in IE??

I have the update installed---

Make Google Default Search in IE?? [​IMG]

David Bailey, May 20, 2015

2. I don't know what to tell you then. *Confused I had the above issue on two PC's running 8.1. Un installing that update cleared it so I could install Google and set it as my main search. Maybe a latter update fixes it? I'm currently not running Windows 10 so 8.1 is all I have to go by.

alphanumeric, May 20, 2015
  3. I thought the OP was using 8.1 ?
    Maybe I was wrong ?

Make Google Default Search in IE?? [​IMG]

David Bailey, May 21, 2015
  4. Make Google Default Search in IE??

Windows 10 Forum, so I just assumed Windows 10. I see in his profile he lists Windows 8.1 so maybe you are right? Probably should have asked him.

alphanumeric, May 21, 2015
  5. Mystere Win User
    I'm guessing the lack of search working is related to the change in app defaults. the old API no longer be working to set the search defaults automatically, and they have to come up with a way to change this manually.

Mystere, May 21, 2015
  6. Everything works right up to the part where you click "Add this search provider". Then nothing happens. Bing is the only Search Provider listed, and if you can't add another, you can't disable it or set another as default. This is in Windows 8.1 by the way, not Windows 10. It may also be an issue in 10, but for me it was in 8.1. I also notice, on that web page where you add search providers, it prompts to set IE as default. That also doesn't seem to work. No matter how many times I do it, I get prompted to do it again the next time I go to that web page.

alphanumeric, May 21, 2015
  7. I wonder if this is somehow restricted by region
    I followed the instructions in the first post and added google from the gallery, it added it fine and made google the default

EDIT:Just to add, this is in 8.1 also

paulsalter, May 21, 2015
  8. Make Google Default Search in IE??

I removed 314. That did not help. I had to install Google toolbar to get Google search added to ie.

musiclover7, May 22, 2015
  9. That's too bad that it didn't work for you. by the way, is this Windows 10 or 8.1?

alphanumeric, May 22, 2015
  10. DavidY Win User
    I think this only works if you already added Google to IE before they changed it. I haven't found a way to get Google after a clean install of Windows 10 build 10074.

DavidY, May 22, 2015
  11. Mystere Win User
    As I said, I think this is related to the change they made that prevents applications from hijacking the default application settings.

I'm guessing they just haven't updated the pages yet with a new way to do this for Windows 10.

Mystere, May 22, 2015
  12. Or Windows 8.1.

alphanumeric, May 22, 2015
  13. DavidY Win User

Make Google Default Search in IE??

Or indeed Windows 7, which is where I was having trouble adding Google to IE in the last few days.

DavidY, May 22, 2015
  14. Mystere Win User
    It works fine in Windows 8.1... I just did it.

Mystere, May 23, 2015
  15. Edwin New Member
    I think Bing is so deeply integrated with Windows 10 Search and Cortana etc., that they're not about to make it an option to change the default.

Edwin, May 23, 2015
Thema:

Make Google Default Search in IE??

1. Make Google Default Search in IE?? - Similar Threads - Google Default Search

2. Google Default Search

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Google Default Search: Soooo I screwed up and decided to try microsoft rewards. Not sure why, probably boredom. Now bing is my default search EVEN IN CHROME. How do I make it Google again? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/google-default-search/f9b24ff7-941d-4113-abde-9c5e18c67f0f
  3. Google Default Search

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Google Default Search: Soooo I screwed up and decided to try microsoft rewards. Not sure why, probably boredom. Now bing is my default search EVEN IN CHROME. How do I make it Google again? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/google-default-search/f9b24ff7-941d-4113-abde-9c5e18c67f0f
  4. Google Default Search

in Cortana
  5. What are the steps to make Google Chrome as default?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    What are the steps to make Google Chrome as default?: What are the steps to make Google Chrome default on my desktop computer? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/what-are-the-steps-to-make-google-chrome-as/30245ac4-b9ae-4c9d-84e4-40a968436c27
  6. What are the steps to make Google Chrome as default?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    What are the steps to make Google Chrome as default?: What are the steps to make Google Chrome default on my desktop computer? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/what-are-the-steps-to-make-google-chrome-as/30245ac4-b9ae-4c9d-84e4-40a968436c27
  7. search defaulting to Google maps

in Cortana
    search defaulting to Google maps: If I type anything on the search bar, it seems to add - 'Google maps search' to the end of everything. For instance if I type:- abc the underlying suggestion shows abc - Google Maps Search and dumps me into Google Maps. If anyone has any suggestion on how to get...
  8. Making IE 11 the default browser

in Browsers and Email
    Making IE 11 the default browser: Our company still use IE 11 for many things and I was looking for a way to make it the default browser, anybody got some good tips on how to do this? many thx *Biggrin 125823
  9. Making IE the default browser via the registry or script

in Browsers and Email
    Making IE the default browser via the registry or script: Hi, Is there a way to automate changing the default browser from Edge to IE. We are still dependent on IE and can not deploy W10 with Edge as the default. Thanks for any help you can provide. 28822
  10. Resetting google search page to default

in Browsers and Email
    Resetting google search page to default: How do I reset google search to default? URL currently displays Ukraine domain. I.e. “google.com.ua” (I am in the US) Steve 107373