Windows 10: Make Google Default Search in IE??

Discus and support Make Google Default Search in IE?? in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; I think Bing is so deeply integrated with Windows 10 Search and Cortana etc., that they're not about to make it an option to change the default.... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by musiclover7, May 19, 2015.

1. Mystere Win User

Make Google Default Search in IE??

That's unlikely, given that even the new Edge browser clearly has a section of the settings set aside to change the search provider (it's not working yet, but it's there).

Mystere, May 23, 2015
  2. Edwin New Member

You got a point there!

Edwin, May 23, 2015
  3. DavidY Win User
    When I had the problem in Windows 7, I could fix it by uninstalling KB3038314, as mentioned in one of the links above. This was before the May set of Microsoft patches which may have changed things - perhaps for the better?

But it does suggest that the initial cause wasn't a new behaviour that's part of Windows 10.

DavidY, May 23, 2015
  4. Mystere Win User

Not necessarily, as it might have been two different problems. Or, maybe it is related in that it might be that Code from Windows 10 was released in the rollup patch by mistake.

Mystere, May 23, 2015
  5. badrobot Win User
    How come it works for me?

badrobot, May 23, 2015
  6. Edwin New Member
    Does it use Google when you search from a blank page in the address bar?

Edwin, May 23, 2015
  7. badrobot Win User
    yup..

badrobot, May 23, 2015
  8. badrobot Win User

Ooops wait.. not from the Edge address bar. But when I start typing on Google search bar it goes up like the address bar..

badrobot, May 23, 2015
  9. Edwin New Member
    Right, but it doesn't change the default; correct?:

~

Edwin, May 23, 2015
  10. Not for me, as I've already stated in this thread. I couldn't add Google on my Desktop PC or my laptop, both running Windows 8.1. Look at the thread I linked too with the solution that worked for me. It takes you to the Windows 8 forum where others had the same issue. Maybe its not the same issue in 10. I just installed the latest release on my laptop, I'll go have a look latter on. I have another issue on it in Windows 10 I've been trying to sort out on it that's been preoccupying me.

alphanumeric, May 23, 2015
  11. Just fired up my laptop and same deal in IE (not Spartan). I can get all the way to "Add this search provider" but nothing happens when I click it. Exactly the same deal in Windows 8.1 for me. No KB3038314 listed as installed though. I guess your locked into Bing, for what ever reason.

12. Edwin New Member
    Seems both Spartan and IE aren't supporting add-ons at the moment.

Edwin, May 23, 2015
  13. Make Google Default Search in IE??

I haven't done anything with Spartan yet. I've been preoccupied trying to get my USB 3 external monitor working.

14. Gave up on Windows 10 on my laptop, I want my USB 3 monitor working. I just re installed 8.1. I was able to add Google and set as default in IE, before doing any updates. Will check again after doing all the Windows updates if its locked in.

alphanumeric, May 24, 2015
  15. Just finished multiple rounds of Windows updates on my fresh Windows 8.1 install, no KB3038314. Microsoft must have pulled it. I can also still add and change search providers in IE.

alphanumeric, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Make Google Default Search in IE?? - Similar Threads - Google Default Search

2. Google Default Search

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Google Default Search: Soooo I screwed up and decided to try microsoft rewards. Not sure why, probably boredom. Now bing is my default search EVEN IN CHROME. How do I make it Google again? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/google-default-search/f9b24ff7-941d-4113-abde-9c5e18c67f0f
  3. Google Default Search

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Google Default Search: Soooo I screwed up and decided to try microsoft rewards. Not sure why, probably boredom. Now bing is my default search EVEN IN CHROME. How do I make it Google again? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/google-default-search/f9b24ff7-941d-4113-abde-9c5e18c67f0f
  4. Google Default Search

in Cortana
  5. What are the steps to make Google Chrome as default?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    What are the steps to make Google Chrome as default?: What are the steps to make Google Chrome default on my desktop computer? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/what-are-the-steps-to-make-google-chrome-as/30245ac4-b9ae-4c9d-84e4-40a968436c27
  6. What are the steps to make Google Chrome as default?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    What are the steps to make Google Chrome as default?: What are the steps to make Google Chrome default on my desktop computer? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/what-are-the-steps-to-make-google-chrome-as/30245ac4-b9ae-4c9d-84e4-40a968436c27
  7. search defaulting to Google maps

in Cortana
    search defaulting to Google maps: If I type anything on the search bar, it seems to add - 'Google maps search' to the end of everything. For instance if I type:- abc the underlying suggestion shows abc - Google Maps Search and dumps me into Google Maps. If anyone has any suggestion on how to get...
  8. Making IE 11 the default browser

in Browsers and Email
    Making IE 11 the default browser: Our company still use IE 11 for many things and I was looking for a way to make it the default browser, anybody got some good tips on how to do this? many thx *Biggrin 125823
  9. Making IE the default browser via the registry or script

in Browsers and Email
    Making IE the default browser via the registry or script: Hi, Is there a way to automate changing the default browser from Edge to IE. We are still dependent on IE and can not deploy W10 with Edge as the default. Thanks for any help you can provide. 28822
  10. Resetting google search page to default

in Browsers and Email
    Resetting google search page to default: How do I reset google search to default? URL currently displays Ukraine domain. I.e. “google.com.ua” (I am in the US) Steve 107373