Windows 10: make my SSD the boot drive but keep all non windows related files on the original hard drive

Discus and support make my SSD the boot drive but keep all non windows related files on the original hard drive in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; my new SSD is 500GB but the original hard drive is 1TB all i want to do is make my computer start faster. i did try a clean install on the SSD but i... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Blue JayMarks, Mar 29, 2023.

1. make my SSD the boot drive but keep all non windows related files on the original hard drive

my new SSD is 500GB but the original hard drive is 1TB all i want to do is make my computer start faster. i did try a clean install on the SSD but i wasn't able to access all of my files and programs on the original hard drive and i had to make a new windows profile so chances are i probably cant use saves for games if i use to continue doing thati already went back to bios to make my OG hard drive the boot drive and it still has my windows profile and everything else and i formatted the SSD so it's now completely empty so is there a way to just have my current windows install moved over to th

:)

Blue JayMarks, Mar 29, 2023

2. Windows 7 booting off wrong drive?!?!?

Please move if this is in the wrong place.

I have two hard drives, a 1.5TB drive, and a 160GB drive. Windows is installed on the 1.5TB drive, as are all my files and programs. The 160GB drive has a bunch of old files, and apparently the bootmgr and boot folder. Nothing else is on the 160GB drive, other than media files etc.

If I remove the 160GB drive from the machine, windows refuses to boot, plug it back in, it works fine. The setup with two hard drives I have now is temporary, as the 160GB drive will go into another machine.

My question is, can someone give me a step by step on how to make windows force to boot off the 1.5TB drive, ignoring the 160GB drive in the boot process completely?
    I don't know how to do this in Windows 7, on XP I would just run the /fixmbr command and its related ones.

Any help would be appreciated.

Note: I would really really rather not have to wipe and reinstall, I know it can be done without one as I've had this issue with XP before.

speedy11131, Mar 29, 2023
  3. $immond$ Win User
    Windowed Hard Drives

On the contrary, showing off "slow tech" by adding a window to a hard drive is a "dumb" idea. Do you really want to be showing off a whole "7200-10000 RPM of power" or would you rather show off a plain SSD drive? (If you really desire to "show off")

Adding any window to any drive is just stupid. I just suggested an easier option for you since manufactures don't put windows on the latest hard drives.

$immond$, Mar 29, 2023
  4. Drone Win User

make my SSD the boot drive but keep all non windows related files on the original hard drive

Stored files in Hard Drive

You can use Windows search. Just search for *.* on a desired drive. When list is done just arrange them by size LOL.

You can do it via command line as well and make an output text file showing files and their sizes (but without arrangement)

Drone, Mar 29, 2023
Thema:

make my SSD the boot drive but keep all non windows related files on the original hard drive

1. make my SSD the boot drive but keep all non windows related files on the original hard drive - Similar Threads - SSD boot drive

2. make my SSD the boot drive but keep all non windows related files on the original hard drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    make my SSD the boot drive but keep all non windows related files on the original hard drive: my new SSD is 500GB but the original hard drive is 1TB all i want to do is make my computer start faster. i did try a clean install on the SSD but i wasn't able to access all of my files and programs on the original hard drive and i had to make a new windows profile so...
  3. make my SSD the boot drive but keep all non windows related files on the original hard drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    make my SSD the boot drive but keep all non windows related files on the original hard drive: my new SSD is 500GB but the original hard drive is 1TB all i want to do is make my computer start faster. i did try a clean install on the SSD but i wasn't able to access all of my files and programs on the original hard drive and i had to make a new windows profile so...
  4. Windows update bricks computer, windows keeps trying to go back to original non-ssd drive...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows update bricks computer, windows keeps trying to go back to original non-ssd drive...: I got an Intel NUC with Windows 10 Pro pre-installed. Installed an nvme SSD over a year ago, cloned the drive over, set SSD as boot drive, everything fine, computer boots from SSD.Notice recently that windows has somehow set the old platter drive back to the boot driveSet SSD...
  5. Hard drive takes over SSD as boot drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Hard drive takes over SSD as boot drive: Hello, I have already made a post about this, but now I have found out a little bit more about why it could be happening. When I connect my HDD, the SSD vanishes as if it weren't connected and the hard drive takes over as the boot drive, this has been happening for 4-5 days...
  6. Hard drive takes over SSD as boot drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Hard drive takes over SSD as boot drive: Hello, I have already made a post about this, but now I have found out a little bit more about why it could be happening. When I connect my HDD, the SSD vanishes as if it weren't connected and the hard drive takes over as the boot drive, this has been happening for 4-5 days...
  7. Hard drive takes over SSD as boot drive

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  8. Making my SSD the boot drive

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Making my SSD the boot drive: I want to make my new SSD my boot drive and I think to do that I have to install windows 10 on it, select it as the boot drive in bios and that should be it, right? I've already formatted it so I'm not worried about that Before I make a mistake though I wanted to get my...
  9. Windows making a mess on my non-boot drives!

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows making a mess on my non-boot drives!: Windows suddenly started creating un-deletable Program Files and WindowsApps folders on my meticulously sorted and maintained non-boot drives. There's nothing in there as far as I can tell, but it's absolutely driving me up the wall! I can't even make them Hidden! How do make...
  10. Can I make my new SSD a boot drive without formatting the hard drive?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can I make my new SSD a boot drive without formatting the hard drive?: An SSD was just recently installed into my laptop and in order to make the ssd the boot drive the store clerk said that they have to format the hard drive. They said I can move important files into the ssd then format the hard drive. Is there a way for me to make the ssd a...