Windows 10: Make new SSD Win 10 boot-able from Macrium image?

Discus and support Make new SSD Win 10 boot-able from Macrium image? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Have a notebook with a Win 7 to Win 10 upgrade on it but still on a mechanical HDD. Instead of clean installing Win 10 onto the new SSD I thought to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Kol12, Sep 30, 2019.

1. Kol12 Win User

Make new SSD Win 10 boot-able from Macrium image?

Have a notebook with a Win 7 to Win 10 upgrade on it but still on a mechanical HDD. Instead of clean installing Win 10 onto the new SSD I thought to save on hours of setup I could image the drive with Macrium and transfer everything including the OS to the SSD with the Macrium image.

Is the correct way to do this with the restore function in Macrium?

:)

Kol12, Sep 30, 2019
  2. topgundcp Win User

Restoring Windows 10 Image using Macrium Reflect

In addition to the above. Here's my suggestion in step by step.
    I assume you have Macrium Installed in your current HD and already made a backup copy.
    1. Connect your new HD via USB port and boot up.
    2. Run Macrium, click on Restore tab then select the Backup Image that you made to restore
    3. click on "select a different target disk" then select your new HD as destination

Make new SSD Win 10 boot-able from Macrium image? [​IMG]
    4. Proceed to restore then Shutdown and disconnect the old HD and replace with the new HD
    5. Boot up with your new HD.

topgundcp, Sep 30, 2019
  3. topgundcp Win User
    Macrium Reflect and SSD drive

Here's an easy way to do it, With your SSD connected.

1. If not already done. Create a backup image of your current Windows HD. From Macrium, click on "Create an image of the partition(s) required to backup and restore Windows"
      NOTE: you could actually clone the disk, but create a backup then restore will allow Macrium to correctly align the cluster size and perform trimming on the new SSD.
    2. After step 1 is done, click on Restore tab, select the image from step 1 then click on Select different target disk, select the SSD as destination disk then click on Next->Finish. No need to use/boot from Rescue disk. It will be faster and Macrium will also perform trimming on the new SSD.
    3. Disconnect the HD and reboot. Windows should boot up with the new SSD.

topgundcp, Sep 30, 2019
  4. mel2000 Win User

Macrium Image Won't Boot

Lenovo Thinkpad E531, legacy BIOS mode, Win 10 Pro.
    Objective: To image entire current 300GB HD to a 500GB HD.

• Used Diskpart to wipe the 500GB drive first, then formatted it as GPT/NTFS/no drive letter.
    • Imaged the 300GB to the 500GB with Macrium Reflect 7.2.
    • No errors after imaging.
    • Could not boot from the 500GB disk after selecting it from the BIOS boot list. The BIOS screen simply jumps back to the selection list to allow me to choose again, each time. Fortunately I was able to boot again with the 300GB disk.
    https://i.imgur.com/tcwDdIV.jpg
    (the 500GB imaged disk is offline because it has a signature collision with the 300GB boot disk that's online)
    The partitions on the 500GB disk appear to have been copied correctly from the 300GB disk. The rest of the 500GB is unallocated.

Would the GPT/NTFS disk with legacy BIOS mode be an issue? Or would Macrium Reflect have overwritten the partition specs during the imaging process anyway? Any troubleshooting assistance regarding the 500GB booting issue will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

mel2000, Sep 30, 2019
Thema:

1. Make new SSD Win 10 boot-able from Macrium image? - Similar Threads - SSD boot able

2. Question on WIN 10 Recovery Drive vs Macrium Recovery/boot/image

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Question on WIN 10 Recovery Drive vs Macrium Recovery/boot/image: Tried creating a Windows 10 Recovery USB but two attempts failed for some unknown reason - both popped up a window stating that Recovery Drive was not Created (although it contained numerous files). I used the common method to create the Recovery using a 16 GB USB which was...
  3. Boot Macrium Rescue from Internal SSD

Boot Macrium Rescue from Internal SSD: In addition to adding Macrium Recovery to my boot menu and having a bootable USB, I always set up a bootable partition on one of my HDs per this thread by @topgundep, FYI: Setup Macrium Rescue to boot from an Internal/External USB HD/SSD. It always worked flawlessly giving me...
  4. Moving Boot from HDD to new SSD in Win 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Moving Boot from HDD to new SSD in Win 10: My old computer went "bad" (I suspect that Windows updates became increasingly incompatible with my seven year-old hardware), so I decided to upgrade my motherboard, CPU and add a new SSD NVMe drive. I would like to boot from my SSD and run Adobe Photoshop 6.0 on it, but all...
  5. Macrium Image Won't Boot

Macrium Image Won't Boot: Lenovo Thinkpad E531, legacy BIOS mode, Win 10 Pro. Objective: To image entire current 300GB HD to a 500GB HD. Used Diskpart to wipe the 500GB drive first, then formatted it as GPT/NTFS/no drive letter. Imaged the 300GB to the 500GB with Macrium Reflect 7.2. No errors after...
  6. Booting Macrium usb image

Booting Macrium usb image: We are discussing how to boot from a usb image made with Macrium Reflect in this thread: http://www.eightforums.com/general-s...ash-drive.html I just thought I would mention it here. It contains good info about Macrium. Delete this if it is not wanted. I don't want...
  7. Macrium - Setup Macrium Rescue to boot from an Internal SSD

Macrium - Setup Macrium Rescue to boot from an Internal SSD: Hey Guys I was a poster on the SevenForums, but it appears that usernames and logins don't transfer from there? Anyhow ive registered a new account here to post my (hopefully simple) query: Ive just followed Brinks amazing Clean Install W10 without having to upgrade...
  8. New to Macrium: System Image

New to Macrium: System Image: My setup: 256 GB SSD holding the C drive "Local Disc C" which includes my Programs among other usual files, 190 GB free of 223 GB. I have my Personal Folders (Documents, Pictures etc., Downloads, Searches etc.) on a 2 TB internal rotational drive D. Therefore these folders on...
  9. Getting an new SSD to boot after imaging it from an old SSD

in Windows 10 Support
    Getting an new SSD to boot after imaging it from an old SSD: I bought a Samsung sm951 to replace my 840 Pro. The sm951 was installed in a PCI slot using an adapter which gave it 4 lanes for data usage. I imaged my 850 Pro SSD and then I restored the image to the sm951 SSD, but the computer would not boot from the new drive, saying that...
  10. Move win 10 from 1 ssd to new ssd

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Move win 10 from 1 ssd to new ssd: Used Minitool to copy old ssd entirely to new ssd. Missing boot manager and bcd files. Copied from old to new. No joy? 18432