Windows 10: Make only start screen background transparent

Discus and support Make only start screen background transparent in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I like to have my start screen fullscreen. I also do like that it shows the desktop background when transparency effects are turned on. I, however,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by frederick99f1, Nov 13, 2018.

1. Make only start screen background transparent

I like to have my start screen fullscreen. I also do like that it shows the desktop background when transparency effects are turned on. I, however, don't like all of the other transparency effects (taskbar, hover previews, the whole fluent design system, etc.) as it makes my system slow. If I turn off the transparency effects from Personalization settings, all of these are turned off which I like. What I don't like is that the desktop background that was visible on the start screen is now not showing (it's a solid color, not an image).

Is there a way to turn all of the other transparency effects off while keeping the start screen background transparency? Or completely change the start screen background independent of the desktop background?

Thanks, any kind of help is appreciated.

(I understand there might not be a standard way to do this. I am expecting some kind of a registry tweak, etc.)

:)

frederick99f1, Nov 13, 2018
  2. Eosphotog Win User

Transparent Start menu icon background?

On the start menu each application / file has an associated icon. Unfortunately it appears that Windows 10 is using the accent color as the icon's background. So I get squares of color with the icon in the middle. There are screen shots from Windows 10 previews that show the icon backgrounds as transparent, or at least matching the background color of the start menu. But with transparency turned on, the icon backgrounds are not transparent, but instead the accent color.

It is as if Microsoft said "Hey - ALL icons should be SQUARE - so we will make all icons SQUARE just like tiles, whether you like it or not".

Bleh. So - how does one make the start menu icon background color transparent?

Eosphotog, Nov 13, 2018
  3. Cryasor Win User
    Start Menu Not Transparent

The Transparency Effects was actually
    on when the screenshot of the smaller start menu was taken

There is some transparency showing in my last image - this can be seen (barely) on the same line as the PHOTOS tile.

Whilst running with a working setup - background image and full screen start menu transparency I did this:

Transparency Effects off with the Use Start Full Screen
    on
    and solid BLACK background was generated.

Following the generation of the solid black background (loss of image and Accent colour) above, I then tried this:

Transparency Effects off and
    Use Start Full Screen on shows a solid accent colour, no image

Transparency Effects off and
    Use Start Full Screen off shows a solid accent colour, no image

Transparency Effects
    on
    and Use Start Full Screen
    off shows a transparent accent colour, no image

Transparency Effects
    on
    and Use Start Full Screen
    on shows a solid black colour, no image

Is it related to the IMAGE on a background, perhaps... anyhow, if you have reproduced, that's a start.

Most times when this happens, the Surface is coming out of sleep. It goes to sleep with image and transparency working (full screen start menu) then when awoken, no image, solid black background - irrespective of accent colour.

Make start menu small, then the accent colour is shown - solid or transparent - dependant upon whichever options have been set.

Thanks

Cryasor, Nov 13, 2018
  4. Make only start screen background transparent

Start Menu Not Transparent

I assume that Transparency effects under Settings >
    Personalization > Colors is Off when you took the screenshot. You can check the image below for a comparison between
    Transparency effects being enabled and disabled.

Make only start screen background transparent 596f3861-2a04-448e-9600-cd1a171882bf?upload=true.png

We were somehow able to replicate the issue by disabling both the
    Transparency effects and Use Start full screen. If we enable the
    Start full screen and Transparency effect at the same time, it will result in a black background. We were able to get the transparency back by disabling
    Use Start full screen, hit the Start button, and then enable
    Use Start full screen again. Please let me know if you encounter the same results when you performed these steps.

We're looking forward to your response.

Devlin Sco, Nov 13, 2018
Thema:

Make only start screen background transparent

1. Make only start screen background transparent - Similar Threads - start screen background

2. image with transparent background wont save with transparent background

in Windows 10 Gaming
    image with transparent background wont save with transparent background: I tried saving image with transparent background using multiple programs, but none of them worked - when i opened my image it didnt have transparent background. I tried deleting some pixels, selecting transparent background or using crop tools. this never happened to me on...
  3. image with transparent background wont save with transparent background

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    image with transparent background wont save with transparent background: I tried saving image with transparent background using multiple programs, but none of them worked - when i opened my image it didnt have transparent background. I tried deleting some pixels, selecting transparent background or using crop tools. this never happened to me on...
  4. Is it possible to make the Cortana search background transparent?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Is it possible to make the Cortana search background transparent?: Is it possible to make the Cortana search background transparent? submitted by /u/ChocolateBanana134 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/m8ph7p/is_it_possible_to_make_the_cortana_search/
  5. Paint 3D doesn't make transparent backgrounds.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Paint 3D doesn't make transparent backgrounds.: I know there's a setting that makes the canvas transparent, but it doesn't seem to work. No matter how much I try, it's still a white background....
  6. Start Screen only has Black Background

in Windows 10 Customization
    Start Screen only has Black Background: For some reason, my Start Screen's background is solid black instead of showing my themed image. I have tinkered with the personalization settings but nothing seems to help. I am using Windows 365 and this problem promulgates across all four of my computers. Yesterday it...
  7. Is it possible to make start menu more transparent?

Is it possible to make start menu more transparent?: I would like to make the start menu more transparent. Ideally without 3rd party tools. submitted by /u/noobatanything [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/hj2lah/is_it_possible_to_make_start_menu_more_transparent/
  8. Is there any way to make background color of start menu icon transparent or to remove it?

Is there any way to make background color of start menu icon transparent or to remove it?: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/BlueBoxxx [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/fsv0qa/is_there_any_way_to_make_background_color_of/
  9. Desktop background covered by semi-transparent screen

Desktop background covered by semi-transparent screen: My desktop suddenly looks like it has a semi-transparent screen over it. When I click on a program icon on the taskbar, my background will be normal for a second before the program I clicked on pops up....
  10. Transparent Start menu icon background?

Transparent Start menu icon background?: On the start menu each application / file has an associated icon. Unfortunately it appears that Windows 10 is using the accent color as the icon's background. So I get squares of color with the icon in the middle. There are screen shots from Windows 10 previews that show the...