Windows 10: Make Open Archive the default for 7Zip

Discus and support Make Open Archive the default for 7Zip in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I have the 7zip software program. When I double click a file ending in .7z, all that happens is something flashes & disappears. I can right click the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by phrab, Nov 15, 2019.

1. phrab Win User

Make Open Archive the default for 7Zip

I have the 7zip software program. When I double click a file ending in .7z, all that happens is something flashes & disappears. I can right click the file, choose Open Archive & it will open. I would like that to be the default.

When I look in File Types Manager, all I see for actions is "Open". How can I add Open Archive & make it the default?

Below is the image I see in File Types Manager for Open, but I don't know how to fill in the boxes for Open Archive.

Make Open Archive the default for 7Zip [​IMG]

Thank you in advance!

:)

phrab, Nov 15, 2019
  2. harrymc Win User

7zip force ignore NTFS junctions

I would suggest to go in two steps :

1. Generate a list of all the junctions in the folder
    2. Create a 7Zip archive from the folder while excluding the files in the list.

For the first step, you may use the following command in a Command Prompt :

Where :

• /A displays all files with a specific attribute, and L specifies reparse points (symlinks and directory junctions)
    • /S makes the command recursive
    • /B specifies the bare format of only file names.

When zipping the folder use the
    -x (Exclude filenames) switch :

harrymc, Nov 15, 2019
  3. Callender Win User
    Unable to register 7zip to open zip files

You did try re-adding it to context menu after the reboot/ reinstall as per this post? It doesn't show up otherwise.

Unable to register 7zip to open zip files - Windows 10 Forums

Callender, Nov 15, 2019
  4. zbook Win User

How to use 7zip to open RAR files

7zip is opening zip files without problems. These are all for downloaded (not saved files).
    When attempting to open RAR files the screen will only flash.
    Uninstalling and reinstalling 7zip had no impact.
    Downloading and installing winzip makes it the default application then RAR files open.
    Un-installation of winzip making 7zip the default application allows it to open zip but not RAR.
    This is an image of attempted manual right click.
    It asks for the application to open the file. 7zip is selected and the screen flashes.
    Switching browsers from Chrome to IE has no impact.

Make Open Archive the default for 7Zip [​IMG]

zbook, Nov 15, 2019
Thema:

1. Make Open Archive the default for 7Zip - Similar Threads - Open Archive default

2. How to change the default archive icon

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to change the default archive icon: The default icon for .rar .zip etc. archives is atrocious. I can barely tell the icon is different than just a stock folder. I was hoping to skip winrar on the new rig just to reduce clutter since most of the software is already there but the icons are unusable. Is there a...
  3. How to change the default archive icon

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to change the default archive icon: The default icon for .rar .zip etc. archives is atrocious. I can barely tell the icon is different than just a stock folder. I was hoping to skip winrar on the new rig just to reduce clutter since most of the software is already there but the icons are unusable. Is there a...
  4. EXE Files only opening as 7zip

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    EXE Files only opening as 7zip: Good day, I'm currently helping with some office work as tech support, and I've run into an issue while trying to install a printer driver on an older laptop. One of the office workers needed a computer, so I found an older laptop and updated it to Windows 10, and it has...
  5. exe files opening in 7zip

exe files opening in 7zip: I am at wits end right now. So, I removed 7zip a couple of hours ago, and am tired, so I go to install MCedit, only for 7zip, in which i already deleted, trying to open it, even is mcedit installer is a exe. Ive tried everything, please help!!!!! -Lav...
  6. cannot create 7zip archive on c:\

cannot create 7zip archive on c:\: Apprently it is a famous issue and i cannot solve it. here is a previous instance https://sourceforge.net/p/sevenzip/d...ad/5120a09d2a/ I install 7z1900-x64.exe on windows 10 1809 and I right click on 7zFM.exe to run it as administrator. I choose to make 7zip the default...
  7. cannot create 7zip archive on c:\

in Windows 10 Support
    cannot create 7zip archive on c:\: Apprently it is a famous issue and i cannot solve it. here is a previous instance https://sourceforge.net/p/sevenzip/d...ad/5120a09d2a/ I install 7z1900-x64.exe on windows 10 1809 and I right click on 7zFM.exe to run it as administrator. I choose to make 7zip the default...
  8. New mail defaults to Archive folder

New mail defaults to Archive folder: I use Windows 10 Mail App which worked fine until the synch failed. I fixed this using the method recommended in MS Community, including an update of Win 10 Mail. Now I have an annoying little puzzle: New Mail defaults to the Archive folder with nothing new going to the...
  9. 7zip

7zip: This msg ( 7zip1900-x64.exe is not commonly downloaded and could harm your computer ) msg appear atter download is complete, any advise ? 127679
  10. Unable to register 7zip to open zip files

Unable to register 7zip to open zip files: Windows 10 Pro 1803 will not register the 7zip app to open .zip files. When it displays the app selection, 7zip is not even listed. It directs me to select the program from C:\Program Files which works but does not retain the selection permanently. sfc /scannow and chkdsk...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. make 7zip default for .7z