Windows 10: Make "Personal Folder" in Start Menu open "User's Files": possible?

Discus and support Make "Personal Folder" in Start Menu open "User's Files": possible? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; If I ask Windows to display a desktop icon for "User's Files" [img] an icon named "Andrey" will appear on my desktop, which will open a "virtual"... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by AndreyT, May 26, 2019.

1. AndreyT Win User

Make "Personal Folder" in Start Menu open "User's Files": possible?

If I ask Windows to display a desktop icon for "User's Files"

Make "Personal Folder" in Start Menu open "User's Files": possible? [​IMG]

an icon named "Andrey" will appear on my desktop, which will open a "virtual" folder containing all of my special folders (Documents, Pictures etc.)

In reality these folders are located on different drives (relocated through "Properties | Location" tab), but "User's Files" makes
    them appear all in one place in this "virtual" folder (see the address in the address bar).

At the same time, if I personalize the left-hand side of start menu to include "Personal Folder"

and then use this entry, it will take me to the physical %USERPROFILE% folder. Since most of the special folders have been relocated, I'll just see a rather useless scarcely populated folder

So, is there any known tweak that would make the Start Menu entry to work exactly as the desktop icon does? I want the Start Menu entry it to take me to the full virtual folder, not to the almost empty physical one.

:)

AndreyT, May 26, 2019

2. Files missing from "Start Menu" "All Programs"

RE: WINDOWS 7 ULTIMATE 32bit, Files missing from "Start Menu" "All Programs" list.

I have several "start menu" programs missing in my "all programs" list. One of the missing entries is the "accessories" folder and all related files.

As far as I can tell all of the missing files are on the system and they can be found by using the "start menu search" facility. This problem is occurring with other users but I can not find a solution which works to get things back the way they were after installing the OS.

I am seeing the missing apps and other items at this location in iexplore.exe %allusersprofile%\Start Menu\Programs .

Everything I have tried to get these items back into my "start menu" "all programs" list has been met with failure except creating a shortcut. A shortcut is not the real fix as it leaves two entries in the folder.

When I right click on the highlighted "all Programs" box, in the start menu, a small options list pops up, if "open all users" is selected a new window pops up. Inside that window I can click on the programs folder where I can see the missing entries that should appear on my "all programs" list plus those which I presently see on my "all programs" list together in a single directory listing.

How can I get the above directory list of programs back into the "start menu" "all programs" area so I do not have to go through this extra window and select the programs folder to locate what I wish to run?

I also noticed my accessories folder has a lock on it while I am in the primary user administrator account. If you know how to get rid of the lock it would be helpful however I can find that information when I get a chance to look up the answer?

I noticed some hidden (first tier) folders on the C: drive which I made visible while leaving protection on the OS folders. I can now see these folders in an iexplore.exe directory listing. This did not fix the problem in the "all programs" file selection list and I do not remember if this folder was hidden when the OS was installed.

When I opened up the system to allow a login directly into the Administrator account everything shows up the same as it did when the OS installed along with all other programs installed afterward.

After some progress I am still here *Bang Head :banghead: and slowly getting closer to an answer. Can anyone help me get there a little faster?

N9ZN-Extra, May 26, 2019
  3. Hide or Show User Profile's Personal Folders in Navigation Pane

Thank you in advance to everyone for your help and time. Hopefully this write-up is succinct. Make "Personal Folder" in Start Menu open "User's Files": possible? :)
    I believe there has to be additional registry modifications to solve this issue.

Problem:
    In the Navigation Pane, specifically regarding the Current User folder tree, a Personal Folder (i.e. 3D Objects, Contacts, Desktop, etc... ) continues to show even after making active the Hidden property for that Personal Folder.

Expected Results:
    Any Personal Folder that is marked "Hidden" in the File/Folder Listings Area should also be hidden in the Navigation Pane specifically within the Current User folder tree.

Steps to recreate the issue: (the following steps assume that the option is deactivated to see hidden folders.)
    1. Open File Explorer
    2. Within Navigation Pane, Right-click over any blank area
    3. Select menu-option "Show All Folders"
    4. Select and Expand the Current User folder tree which is listed as a child object to the "Desktop" folder
    5. Within the File/Folder Listings Area, Right-click on a Personal Folder
    6. Select menu-option "Properties"
    7. Within the new Dialogue window, Select the "General" tab, Select to Activate the Attribute "Hidden", Select the "OK" button
    8. Close File Explorer and then Open File Explorer
    9. Select the Current User folder in the Navigation Pane
    10. Notice the recently-hidden folder is still showing in the Navigation Pane even though it is hidden in the File/Folder Listings Area.

System Specs:
    • Edition: Windows 10 Home 64bit
    • Version: 1709
    • OS Build: 16299.371
    • Hard Drives: 2 (SSD & Mechanical)
    • C:\ = SSD
    • D:\ = Mechanical

Current Modifications of System:
    • The %UserProfile% system folder was successfully transferred to D:\ by using Sysprep during Windows Setup. This is the only system folder moved to another drive.

Current Modifications of File Explorer in Navigation Pane: (using Regedit)
    • Hidden = Quick Access
    • Hidden = Libraries
    • Hidden = OneDrive
    • Hidden = Homegroup
    • Hidden = This PC user personal folders

Current Modifications of File Explorer in Folder/File Listing Area:
    • Each unwanted Personal Folder was changed to "Hidden" by Right-clicking the folder and Checking the Attribute checkbox marked "Hidden".

3rd-Party Software Installed:

• Classic Shell
    • Mozilla Firefox
    • IObit Driver Booster
    • Macrium Reflect

TechGuy737, May 26, 2019
  4. nora.e Win User

nora.e, May 26, 2019
Thema:

1. Make "Personal Folder" in Start Menu open "User's Files": possible? - Similar Threads - Personal Folder Start

2. Personal Folders Not Showing Up in User's Files

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Personal Folders Not Showing Up in User's Files: When I click on the User's File icon on my desktop, it opens up, but some of the personal folders are missing. They are present in the quick access menu on the left. They are also present in C:\Users\[user name]\. It's only when I open the User's File icon on the desktop that...
  3. Personal Folders Not Showing Up in User's Files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Personal Folders Not Showing Up in User's Files: When I click on the User's File icon on my desktop, it opens up, but some of the personal folders are missing. They are present in the quick access menu on the left. They are also present in C:\Users\[user name]\. It's only when I open the User's File icon on the desktop that...
  4. Is it possible to create a start menu jumplist out of a folder?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Is it possible to create a start menu jumplist out of a folder?: Title. I've tried some thridparty apps like "Jumplist Launcher" and "Jumplist Editor", but they cannot craete a jumplist from a folder- only from a specific program or on the taskbar but not the start menu. submitted by /u/camk16 [link] [comments]...
  5. Start Menu Personalization Problem

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Start Menu Personalization Problem: I upgraded Windows 10 32-bit to 64-bit. In Settings-Personalization-Start, the toggle option to show most used apps is greyed out. I need help to select this option....
  6. Is it possible to add a folder to the start menu tiles?

Is it possible to add a folder to the start menu tiles?: I want to add my Screenshots folder to the "productivity" section of the start menu. Like this: https://i.imgur.com/JOHh91y.jpg It doesn't let me add it anywhere in the start menu though. I've googled around and still don't know if windows allows you to do that. Does...
  7. is it possible to search for folders in the start menu?

is it possible to search for folders in the start menu?: For example, I have a folder called "Asus" in my start menu that has about 8 asus apps in it. I want to be able to search for "Asus" in the search bar to get to it quicker (not having to click the start button and scroll down), but the search bar finds nothing for "Asus". It...
  8. Is it possible to make start menu more transparent?

Is it possible to make start menu more transparent?: I would like to make the start menu more transparent. Ideally without 3rd party tools. submitted by /u/noobatanything [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/hj2lah/is_it_possible_to_make_start_menu_more_transparent/
  9. Issue with user folders link in start menu !

in Windows 10 Support
    Issue with user folders link in start menu !: Hello everybody, I'm desesperated because after spent already 5 hours, i can't get it solved... Here is my issue : I was in my users folders & deleted them (Download, Favorites, Videos etc...) Then, i realized that my start menu which has option to "ON" to make them...
  10. Start menu Personalization Disabled

in Windows 10 Support
    Start menu Personalization Disabled: Had to try a few different methods to get the start menu not working problem to go away. Finally I had to go back to a restore point from just after the upgrade from Windows 7 to get the start menu to work again. Now I try to turn back on the folders in Personalization >...