Make Windows 10 Bootloader Override Windows 7 Bootloader/GRUB

Discus and support Make Windows 10 Bootloader Override Windows 7 Bootloader/GRUB in Windows 10 Support on Windows 10 Forums to solve the problem; I'm trying to setup a tri-boot on a Dell Optiplex 745 (Windows 10, 7, & Ubuntu)and I can't get Windows 10 Boot Manager as the default boot menu (the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Nutty User, Jun 13, 2018.

1. Nutty User Win User

I'm trying to setup a tri-boot on a Dell Optiplex 745 (Windows 10, 7, & Ubuntu)and I can't get Windows 10 Boot Manager as the default boot menu (the blue screen boot options menu [1]: https://i.stack.imgur.com/iILBt.png., not black screen boot options menu) [2]: https://i.stack.imgur.com/afSpG.png. Just wondering which OS to install first. When I install Windows 10 first, then Ubuntu, it doesnt recognize Ubuntu and boots straight into Windows 10. If I install Ubuntu first, GRUB overrides Windows 10 Bootloader/Manager. If I install Windows 7 or try to tweak the boot menu using easybcd, it will show all options (2nd picture), but Ubuntu won't boot and gives some sort of grub error. Also, I cannot, after multiple times of reinstalling Windows 7 & 10, complete successfully the command bootrec.exe /fixboot (from either 7 or 10 reinstall disk) as access continues to be denied. And whenever I install Windows 7, it sets Windows 7 Boot Manager (2nd picture) as the default. I can see this from the command bcdedit (it will show that Windows 10 is the {default} identifier, but Windows 7 is always {current} identifier. How do I make Windows 10 the {default} and {current} Bootloader (1st picture) with all 3 OS's available to actually boot into?

:)

Nutty User, Jun 13, 2018
  2. labrot Win User

Grub bootloader before windows8

will the W10 upgrade work if you have a linux bootloader setup before the windows
    bootloader ?

had some negative experience before, (8 pro >> 8.1 pro update) that messed up the upgrade then, got stuck at 80% and then told me nice that it "fails-to-install"
    and rolled back to 8.

so are there any 10 testers (who have the same setup as me and) who can tell me if MS has a better upgrade method this time, last time i spend hours, had 2 fix the grub, because the w8.1
    had deleted it and it kept upgrading a failing system in its own circles, like a crazy dog trailing its own tail.

so will this upgrade experience in my situation be better this time?

or do i
    need to remove grub again ?

labrot, Jun 14, 2018
  3. labrot Win User
    Grub bootloader before windows8

not the preview, the upgrade later this summer ;)

i have a live system, i dont want to test, the main question is will MS install proces remove other bootloaders, if the setup is like above?

or will MS ask what i want (keep the extra grub and juist update if needed the old W8.1 regarding MS stuff and leave the rest untouched).

dont know all the tech, but i believe back then the w8 installer had some kind of problem due to the

Windows hibernation and fast restarting settings in combination with 3party bootloaders.

linux has a simmilar problem w mounting a windows partion, there the linux user needed to remove hyberhiberfil.sys and/or disable fast restart.

some say that trick would have worked for windows upgrade problems also, but the 10 upgrade installer does not wipe hyber and disables fast restart settings (before installing/rebooting)??

labrot, Jun 14, 2018
  4. streetfighter 2 Win User

dual booting Windows and Linux

Couldn't you just use the bootloader in Windows 7 then tweak it with http://neosmart.net/dl.php?id=1?

I'm pretty sure the Windows 7 bootloader supports linux which makes GRUB optional.

streetfighter 2, Jun 14, 2018
Thema:

Make Windows 10 Bootloader Override Windows 7 Bootloader/GRUB - Similar Threads - Bootloader Override Bootloader

1. Make Windows 10 Bootloader Override older Bootloader/GRUB

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Make Windows 10 Bootloader Override older Bootloader/GRUB: I'm trying to setup a tri-boot on a Dell Optiplex 745 (Windows 10, 7, & Ubuntu)and I can't get Windows 10 Boot Manager as the default boot menu (the blue screen boot options menu [1]: https://i.stack.imgur.com/iILBt.png., not black screen boot options menu) [2]:...
  2. Windows bootloader lost after SystemRescueCD

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Windows bootloader lost after SystemRescueCD: System: Windows 10 Pro (clean install, not an upgrade), UEFI only, ASRock H170M Pro4. C drive is 512 GB SSD, E drive is 1 GB HD. Not dual boot. I created a SystemRescueCD USB drive, with intent to use it for Spinrite. After USB drive was created, but before Spinrite config, I...
  3. Fix Windows 10 Bootloader

in Windows 10 Support
    Fix Windows 10 Bootloader: You're welcome. Hope it helps you get things squared away. --Ed--
  4. Windows 10 Pro Bootloader and Bootmanager on different Disks

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 Pro Bootloader and Bootmanager on different Disks: I have problem with booting my computer a lot of time and I see true EasyBCD that my bootloader and bootmanager was on 2 different drives. So all the files in Windows 10 is on the C: drive but the boot files are on a N: drive. Is it something I can do about that. I have...
  5. Internal bootable SD card - Can I make a bootloader for Windows

Internal bootable SD card - Can I make a bootloader for Windows: Hi there I've a microserver with a bootable micro sd card (32GB). I've replaced a DVD drive with an SSD - (this isn't bootable in AHCI mode (the built in RAID is "Fake RAID" and not very good so I've disabled it and gone into AHCI mode where the I/O is much better on the...
  6. Disable EFI bootloader Windows 10

Disable EFI bootloader Windows 10: Hello guys, i have a problem regarding dual-booting Windows 10 along Ubuntu. After installing Windows 10 and Ubuntu after it, i'm no longer able to boot into Ubuntu, it starst directly into Windows 10. In Windows 8.1, i could chose at startup which OS to run (using Linux's...
  7. Metro bootloader not working.

in Windows 10 Support
    Metro bootloader not working.: I have a dual boot system, 7x64 pro and 10x64 pro. Everything works fine if I use the Legacy bootloader. If I switch it to the metro bootloader, using EasyBCD, the system boots directly into W10 without ever showing a bootloader screen. [img] Anyone have a clue how to...