Windows 10: Make Windows 10 installer use existing partitioning

Discus and support Make Windows 10 installer use existing partitioning in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hello, I have a GPT partition layout on my HDD which includes (in the order): 511 MiB partition, type code 2700 (Windows RE), NTFS-formatted,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Pokrasko, Jun 1, 2019.

1. Pokrasko Win User

Make Windows 10 installer use existing partitioning

Hello,

I have a GPT partition layout on my HDD which includes (in the order):

1. 511 MiB partition, type code 2700 (Windows RE), NTFS-formatted, intended for Windows Recovery Tools
    2. 512 MiB partition, type code EF00 (EFI System), FAT32-formatted, intended to be an EFI System Partition
    3. 16 MiB partition, type code 0C01 (Microsoft reserved), wiped and unformatted, intended to be a MSR partition
    4. 97264 MiB partition, type code 0700 (Microsoft basic data), NTFS-formatted, intended for Windows 10 system
    5. 16384 MiB partition, type code 8200 (Linux swap), used as Linux swap
    6. 49152 MiB partition, type code 8300 (Linux filesystem), used as Linux system
    7. 313100 MiB partition, type code 8300 (Linux filesystem), created to prevent Windows installer make it's own partitions instead of using existing ones

During the clean custom Windows 10 installation, after I select the 4th partition as a place to install the system I get a message "We couldn't create a new partition or locate an existing one."

Before the last partition existed, the installer created it's own recovery and EFI system partitions in it's place and then wrote something about "GPT disk partitions not in recommended order".

How can I make the installer use existing partitions from the layout (without any layout rearrangement) and NOT create it's own? Maybe I should change partition types/filesystems? If not possible, how can I later rearrange the installer's layout to mine?

:)

Pokrasko, Jun 1, 2019
  2. W1zzard Win User

W7 Hard drive partition issue

to get rid of that 100 meg windows partition that setup creates for you on a new install on a blank hdd:

- press shift+f10 when on the partition management screen in setup <-- this opens a command prompt
    - diskpart <-- start the windows command line partition management tool
    - list disk <--- list the installed hdds in this computer for the next step
    - select disk 0 <- might have to replace 0 with the number of the correct disk
    - clean <-- this will erase all data on the disk you selected one step up- dont use the wrong disk!
    - create partition primary <- creates a primary partition taking up all space on the drive, adjust the command if necessary
    - exit, exit to exit diskpart and the command prompt
    - click refresh in partition manager and select your newly created partition and install to that

W1zzard, Jun 1, 2019
  3. Carsomyr Win User
    Partition SSD during windows 10 install

I'm assembling a new PC and running a fresh windows 10 install. I'd like to know how to partition the ssd into 2 separate partitions during the windows install (I'm using a bootable usb drive to install Windows).

I want to know if I need to input specific settings for those partitions or if it's all automatic?

I need one partition for Windows on and another for my documents. The ssd has 960gb size.

So I'm guessing it has about 60gb over-provisionning. I could leave out a bit more, but it probably doesn't matter that much

Carsomyr, Jun 1, 2019
  4. Make Windows 10 installer use existing partitioning

Installing Windows Vista/7 on a GUID Partition Table

I've never tried multiple partitions so this is a shot in the dark...

At step #10, I would try setting the size parameter (it is in mebibytes) to how large you want the partition windows is installed on to be, then go ahead and install windows. This will leave the rest of the drive raw instead of consuming it into the OS partition (C drive). Once you successfully boot into Windows, you should be able to use Computer Management -> Disk Management to create partitions in the raw space.

If you really wanted to do it with diskpart before Windows is installed, you basically repeat the following lines making sure to specify a size if you don't want it to consume all remaining space:
    • create partition primary size=size in mebibytes here
    • format quick fs=ntfs label="appropriate name here"
    • assign letter=C thru Z here
    Obviously, you can use quick formatting or leave it out for full format. Leave off the size parameter when you reach the final partition that should consume all the remaining space. Also remember that the order you do this in goes from the outside of the disk (where it is fastest) to the inside of the disk (where it is slowest). Because of this, it is recommended to put EFI (e.g. size=300), then MSR (e.g. size=300), then Windows (e.g. size=30000), then Applications (e.g. size=70000), then Storage (e.g. no size parameter).

If I'm right, the above example would look like this:
    • diskpart
    • list disk
    • select disk <id>
    • online disk
    • attributes disk clear readonly
    • clean
    • convert gpt
    • create partition efi size=300
    • create partition msr size=300
    • create partition primary size=30000
    • format fs=ntfs label="Windows"
    • assign letter=C
    • create partition primary size=70000
    • format fs=ntfs label="Applications"
    • assign letter=D
    • create partition primary
    • format fs=ntfs label="Storage"
    • assign letter=E
    • exit

FordGT90Concept, Jun 1, 2019
Thema:

Make Windows 10 installer use existing partitioning

1. Make Windows 10 installer use existing partitioning - Similar Threads - installer existing partitioning

2. Windows 10 installation: Couldn't create a new partition or locate an existing one

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 installation: Couldn't create a new partition or locate an existing one: I'm trying install Windows 10 to a Dell XPS 9360 laptop from 2018 I've had Debian on for the last couple of years, but which originally came with Win 10. I downloaded the installation media from Microsoft site and created a bootable USB drive on my Macbook. The installation...
  3. Clean Install while existing merged partitions

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Clean Install while existing merged partitions: Hello all, I am using Windows 10 on a PC. I had merged my non-system partitions for storage. When my system crashed and cannot boot anymore, I decided to go with long due system hard drive increase and bought another SSD. I made a clean install only by disconnecting one of...
  4. Partition Entries to partitions that dont exist

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Partition Entries to partitions that dont exist: [ATTACH] Recently I decided to dig deep into my father's old memories to find that he had 4 PC HDDs from WW2, huge in size, 80GBs capacity and most importantly, full of dust. I decided to get the equipment necessary to plug them with a USB cable to my lenovo ideapad 110 to...
  5. Windows 10 installer doesn't want to make a new partition

Windows 10 installer doesn't want to make a new partition: since my friend's pc starts in automatic repair i tryied to reset windows via usb stick, i got the windows 10 iso file and flashed with rufus, and i tryied to format the partition and to delete it and now it doesn't wanna make a new partition. submitted by /u/ImplayingSorry...
  6. Windows 10 doesn't recognize existing partition

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 doesn't recognize existing partition: I have a Lenovo E580 about a year & a half old. about a month ago I got a BOD from an update. After trying for weeks with, check this do that, I decided to get a new install image for the E580, download from Lenovo, so it would be a clean start. Still plagued by BOD errors....
  7. Windows 10 install USB only making one partition?

Windows 10 install USB only making one partition?: After updating my computer, it was having problems (long restarts, programs not working properly) So I decided to to resintall windows. However, the install is only creating one partition from unallocated space instead of making multiple partitions (such as system reserved,...
  8. Modify Existing Partitions

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Modify Existing Partitions: I am working on a new Asus X556U laptop with Windows 10 Home. Asus have already pre-installed the partitions (in this order) which are as follows: 260 MB (I think this is the equivalent of System Reserved in Windows 7) 744.45 GB / C drive / Operating System 499 MB /...
  9. Clean install while keeping existing partitions?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Clean install while keeping existing partitions?: the tutorial here says to delete all partitions before clean installing windows 10. But I don't want to do that. I just want to reinstall cleanly on the OS partition only. In the past with win7, when I had an OS and Data partition, I would just reinstall the OS, and my...
  10. Can you make an installation partition in the boot partition

in Windows 10 Support
    Can you make an installation partition in the boot partition: Hi guys I would like to know if there should be any problems with extending the boot partition (the first little 500 Mb) to f.x. 5.Gb and then make this partition into a recovery partition eventually with some other tools like LSoft Active@ bootdisk etc. I am using the...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. do you have to name system reserved disk partions? www.windowsphoneinfo.com