Windows 10: Make Windows Explorer background dark grey or black

Discus and support Make Windows Explorer background dark grey or black in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I set my Win 10 settings to dark mode but it only affects part of the interface and Windows explorer is still white. How do I make Windows Explorer... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by THX1138, Oct 10, 2017.

1. THX1138 Win User

Make Windows Explorer background dark grey or black

I set my Win 10 settings to dark mode but it only affects part of the interface and Windows explorer is still white. How do I make Windows Explorer dimmer? I know there are external utilities but is there no way built-in?

Make Windows Explorer background dark grey or black [​IMG]

:)

THX1138, Oct 10, 2017

2. Windows 10 File Explorer hard to read

Just upgraded to Windows 10. I go to File Explorer and when I hover the mouse over a file or program, the little pop-up which appears with info is dark grey type on black. I can't read it! Why doesn't it appear in black type on a white background?

MikeThomas-Faria, Oct 10, 2017
  3. za_mhz Win User
    image retention(burn in)

Also, I only see the marks on a dark grey almost black background. No marks can be seen on a white background or other bright colors

za_mhz, Oct 10, 2017
  4. Make Windows Explorer background dark grey or black

You would have to use a Third party application like Classic Shell or a Theme that will work on Windows 10.

Josey Wales, Oct 10, 2017
  5. dalchina New Member
    dalchina, Oct 12, 2017
  6. Cliff S New Member
    @THX1138, are you talking about the "hidden" UWP File Explore version?

Make Windows Explorer background dark grey or black [​IMG]

It's buggy as heck, and really doesn't do much.
    They have been working on it for ages now,
    but....
    Here is the shortcut for it: UWP Explorer.zip
    Unblock in properties, and extract to your desktop.

Cliff S, Oct 12, 2017
  7. Cliff S New Member
    The only things you can open from it are anything that uses another UWP app, like music with groove, or pictures with Photos, or the 3D stuff with it's app.

system32 stuff like a text file will not open.

Cliff S, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Make Windows Explorer background dark grey or black

1. Make Windows Explorer background dark grey or black - Similar Threads - Explorer background dark

2. How do I make the taskbar black, not just dark grey?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I make the taskbar black, not just dark grey?: Even manually changing the color to black in the personalization settings seems to revert it back to dark gray even though it works with other colors. Do I have to end up using a third party app for this like always due to microsoft's incompetence? Or is there something I'm...
  3. How do I make the taskbar black, not just dark grey?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I make the taskbar black, not just dark grey?: Even manually changing the color to black in the personalization settings seems to revert it back to dark gray even though it works with other colors. Do I have to end up using a third party app for this like always due to microsoft's incompetence? Or is there something I'm...
  4. Dark Mode / Problem with unseeable text. Text also Black or dark Grey

in Windows 10 Customization
    Dark Mode / Problem with unseeable text. Text also Black or dark Grey: I have been using dark mode for a few years and love it, it is much easier on the eyes. We recently got an update pushed down to use and now I can't see the text. When i open new emails or reply to emails the text is staying black or dark grey. I have to select all and then...
  5. File Explorer background dark

in Windows 10 Support
    File Explorer background dark: Hey After an update, the background in my file exlorer turned very dark. I tried changing the theme, and tired with high contrast. The only thing that changes is the header, the background stays the same. [img] 138766
  6. Dark Background

Dark Background: I just picked up a new surface pro, and I am not able to get the office / windows product to display anything other than a black background, which I really do not like. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/dark-background/8b65415e-8ad8-4b57-b5f4-0e7c38ec2ebc
  7. Black/greyish background in windows explorer.

in Windows 10 Support
    Black/greyish background in windows explorer.: I found this image on the internet somewhere. How can I have such dark interface in windows 10 file explorer ? Moreover, this is not a separate file manager. If you take a closer look on the left edge, you can see the a cropped portion of list having pinned shortcuts which...
  8. My taksbar is dark grey and i want it to be black

My taksbar is dark grey and i want it to be black: ok so this seems like a pretty easy fix, but its not, at least for me. my taskbar is dark grey instead of black. ive tried everything i can to make it black but i just cant do it. ive already unchecked the "show accent color on the start, taskbar, and action center" box. i...
  9. My taksbar is dark grey and i want it to be black

My taksbar is dark grey and i want it to be black: ok so this seems like a pretty easy fix, but its not, at least for me. my taskbar is dark grey instead of black. ive tried everything i can to make it black but i just cant do it. ive already unchecked the "show accent color on the start, taskbar, and action center" box. i...
  10. Dark explorer backgrounds. Is this possible ? If so how.

Dark explorer backgrounds. Is this possible ? If so how.: I'd like to be able to set the following up but can't seem to just get all the requirements to come together. 1/ A dark (black) explorer background. ( I can get this by choosing a high contrast theme) 2/ To be able to use desktop themes and pictures as normal. (that...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. make windows explorer black

2. make explorer black

3. how do i make explorers background dark gray

4. explorer black or white,
  5. how to make windows explorer gray,
  6. windows explorer dark mode make task bar grey,
  7. windows explorer dark background,
  8. how to make windows explorer background black,
  9. make explorer background black,
  10. make windows explorer background black