Windows 10: Makecab.exe running at startup & consuming high CPU

Discus and support Makecab.exe running at startup & consuming high CPU in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; [ATTACH] At times the makecab.exe process causes high CPU usage in a system and slows it down. Users have reported that the Process Monitor shows... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by WinClub, Nov 30, 2018.

1. WinClub New Member

Makecab.exe running at startup & consuming high CPU

WinClub, Nov 30, 2018
  2. Pavan_N Win User

System and compressed memory background process persistently consuming high CPU resources

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

Please answer these questions to get more clarity on this issue:

1. Did you make any changes to your computer prior to this issue?

2. Which anti-virus program is installed on the PC?

High CPU usage occurs for various reasons, for example: virus/malware infections, out-of-date drivers, anti-virus programs or other third-party programs, etc;

Method 1: Windows has a built-in troubleshooter to check and fix issues with system. I would suggest you to run this troubleshooter to check if the issue is with your System
    Maintenance.

Refer these steps:

• Press Windows key +X, select Control panel
    • Change the view by option on the top right to Large icons
    • Click on troubleshooting and click on the view all option on the left panel
    • Run the System Maintenance troubleshooter

Method 2: Check if the issue resolves in
    Safe Mode.

Refer this article to boot to safe mode:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/change-startup-settings-in-windows-10#v1h=tab01

Steps to reduce the CPU usage.

1-Press "Ctrl," "Shift," and "Esc" on your keyboard. This brings up the task manager without any intermediary screen.

2-Click the "Processes" button on the task manager.

3-Click the "CPU" column header until the arrow next to the label points down.

4-Right-click a program you recognize that uses a high percentage of the CPU and click "End Process." Click "End Process" to reconfirm. This eases up on the CPU's load. Use this step if you're not using a process or if the process has stopped responding. Do
    not use this procedure for windows processes.

Hope this helps. If the issue remains unresolved, please get back to us and we would be happy to help.

Thanks.

Pavan_N, Nov 30, 2018
  3. Windows Explorer high CPU Usage in Windows 10

Hi Andrew,

Usually, too many background processes can boost your CPU usage. Since you already disabled the apps that are not necessary on startup,
    we suggest checking the applications running once you have successfully boot Windows 10. To do this, simply follow the steps below:

• Click on the Start button and type Task Manager on the search box.
    • On the Task Manager window, you should see the programs running.
    • Click on the More details drop-down button to see the total number of apps running and their real-time CPU usage.

From there, you should see what applications are running on high CPU usage. You can also
    restart the Windows Management Instrumentation service and see if your CPU performance will improve. Follow the instructions below to restart the service:

• Click on the Start button and type Services.
    • Scroll down the list and look for Windows Management Instrumentation.
    • Right click on it and select Restart.

Should you have further questions, please let us know.

Jefferson Ore, Nov 30, 2018
  4. Makecab.exe running at startup & consuming high CPU

High CPU usage in Windows 10.

Hello Gred,

We realize the inconvenience you are experiencing with high CPU usage in Windows 10. We will certainly help you.

• What do you mean when you say "there are many scheduled updates that I can not see"?
    • Do you mean you are not receiving Windows updates?

High CPU percentage may be due to various reasons like too many programs running in the background or a certain program is consuming high CPU usage. Let's try the below steps and check if it helps:

Step 1: Place your system in Clean boot state and find out which software or program is causing the issue:

To help troubleshoot error messages and other issues, you can start Windows by using a minimal set of drivers and startup programs. This kind of startup is known as a "clean boot." A clean boot helps eliminate software conflicts.

Refer the article below to perform clean boot:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Note: Please refer to the section:
    How to reset the computer to start as usual after troubleshooting with clean boot
    of the Kb article to boot the computer in normal startup after fixing the issue.

Disclaimer: A clean boot is performed to start Windows by using a minimal set of drivers and startup programs. This helps eliminate software conflicts that occur when you install
    a program or an update or when you run a program in Windows. You may also troubleshoot or determine what conflict is causing the problem by performing a clean boot. You must log on to the computer as an administrator to be able to perform a clean boot. Your
    computer may temporarily lose some functionality when you perform a clean boot. When you start the computer normally, the functionality returns. However, you may receive the original error message, or experience the original behavior if the problem still exists.
    If the computer is connected to a network, network policy settings may prevent you from following these steps.

Step 2: Further I suggest you to refer the link below and check if it helps:

Windows performance recorder

Let us know the status of the issue. We will be glad to assist you further.

Thank you.

Sangeeta Sarkar, Nov 30, 2018
Thema:

Makecab.exe running at startup & consuming high CPU

1. Makecab.exe running at startup & consuming high CPU - Similar Threads - Makecab exe running

2. High CPU Usage cxuiusvc64.exe is the culprit

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    High CPU Usage cxuiusvc64.exe is the culprit: Hi. Version 20H2 (OS Build 19042.928) So my problems started a few days after the last update; 2021-04 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 20H2 for x64 based Systems (KB5001330). I have Piriforms Speccy installed and it reports the cpu temp is around a constant temp in...
  3. "Windows Audio Endpoint Creator" consumes high CPU.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    "Windows Audio Endpoint Creator" consumes high CPU.: Hello, Computer Information: OS Name: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro OS Version: 10.0.18363 N / A Build 18363 Version 1909 Processor: Intel R Core TM i5-4590 CPU @ 3.30GHz 3.30GHz Ram: 8GB System Type: 64 Bit "Windows Audio...
  4. Microsoft Click to Run Service has started consuming high CPU

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Microsoft Click to Run Service has started consuming high CPU: About a week ago, the click to run service started using 45% CPU even when zero office apps were running. The cooling fans on my laptop went into overdrive. Is this a result of a recent update? It seems to have been a problem 2 or 3 years ago. If I disable C-t-R will my...
  5. High CPU usage on startup

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    High CPU usage on startup: Hi Everytime I've started my computer (from shutdown) in the last month or two it's been a bit sluggish and has had 100% CPU usage on task manager, a lot of it is being used by the antimawlare service executable, microsoft compatibility telemetry and Microsoft Software...
  6. unsual high cpu usage of regsvr32.exe

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    unsual high cpu usage of regsvr32.exe: hello everyone I'm having a bit of trouble with this application. Just recently my CPU has been mostly taken up by one instance of the above file continuously running. Now I have had a look in Task Manager and the following command lines are stated as below:-...
  7. cmimageworker.exe consuming high CPU blocking

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    cmimageworker.exe consuming high CPU blocking: Has anyone else experience an issue with high cpu blocking by cmimageworker.exe. This file does not report a publisher so it does not appear to be a core Microsoft file...but it appears to function within Microsoft "container" framework. Would someone be able to clarify if...
  8. mremoteng consuming high cpu

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    mremoteng consuming high cpu: I have been using mremoteng from 2 years but recently the system getting hanged frequently whenever I open mremoteng. I noticed that mremoteng is using high cpu. How to fix this issue ? or is there any other similar software available which is free? 117075
  9. mremoteng consuming high cpu

in Windows 10 Support
    mremoteng consuming high cpu: I have been using mremoteng from 2 years but recently the system getting hanged frequently whenever I open mremoteng. I noticed that mremoteng is using high cpu. How to fix this issue ? or is there any other similar software available which is free? 117075
  10. EXE in Startup folder not running

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    EXE in Startup folder not running: Just don't know if it's really worth the trouble, seems like just one issue after another. Latest is I wrote a program that runs on windows 10 just fine from a shortcut on the desktop. I copied the shortcut to the startup folder for my account and did all the compatibility...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. makecab.exe cpu usage